Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • does anyone know the make of the adjustable spanner in the Hope HB160 vid?
  • reggiegasket
    Free Member

54 seconds to 1.03 in, then again at 4.35

It’s like an adjustable spanner but grips too, like grip pliers

cdoc
    Free Member

Knipex plier wrench. Pretty handy, they are too.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/knipex-pliers-wrench-180mm/5965x

Jakester
    Free Member

Knipex?

Edit: Damn, too long faffing with the link edit!

warpcow
    Free Member

I was just going to randomly guess it would be a Knipex plier wrench and it would seem I’d have been right.  That’s how good they are.

tthew

Are they £70 quid good though? I’d spend that on a decent tool, no problem but that’s Christmas present spending levels. I don’t think my missis would get very excited receiving a pair of those unless they were really brilliant.

wwaswas

Are they £70 quid good though

they were £40 on my link (not used the store, they were just first up in google shopping)

reggiegasket
    Free Member

cheers. Could be a xmas pressie

reggiegasket
    Free Member

[zoro are selling on ebay too, for £40]

andybrad

no torque wrench!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

What was that strange black thing they were stuffing into the tyre 6mins in???

Agree – there did seem to be remarkably little torque wrench action. I’d expect it on the pivots bolts if nothing else!

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

They’re engineers, calibrated fingers don’t you know?  That and Hope spec is FT for just about everything!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Not fussed about the bike but Jesus H Christ that workshop is the utter tits. Wowsers

DezB
    Free Member

Nice video that. Quite dreamy until the 6 minute point when he puts tubeless tape on the rim… then sticks a bloomin inner tube in it!

Anyway, ref the tool – Isn’t the reason Hope etc. pay out for “professional” type tools like Knipex because they have a “professional” workshop, where these tools get used every day?
    Whereas we/you lot just have them in your toolbox and get them out once a month or less to do a bit of bike tweaking?
    Does that really make it worth spending out on professional tools, when you can get a suitable tool that will do exactly the same job for you for about a tenner (see the Skrewfix page)?
    Just wondering like.

rene59
    Free Member

I have the smallest set of those knipex pliers and they get used all the time for lots of small jobs and are part of my bike tool kit. Can do what an adjustable spanner and the pliers on my leatherman can do for a fraction of the space and weight.

Never seen anything comparable for a tenner.

DezB
    Free Member

Well, they’re listed under “waterpump pliers” https://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/waterpump-pliers/cat9840005

?

rene59
    Free Member

They are not alike.

bigyan
    Free Member

Knipex Pliers Wrench are really handy, I have a few sets in different sizes.

However for the Hope BB tool I use 27, 25 and 19mm spanners or sockets as required.

Well, they’re listed under “waterpump pliers” <span class=”skimlinks-unlinked”>https://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/waterpump-pliers/cat9840005</span&gt;

?

Looks similar, but the Knipex jaws open and close parallel, traditional water pump pliers open and close in an arc, so the jaws are only parallel at one point in the arc. Huge clamping force available from the Knipex Pliers Wrench

DezB
    Free Member

People can’t admit that buying expensive tools for the sake of it just makes them all moist, can they? 😆

rene59
    Free Member

Or maybe some of us use them more than others therefore can tell the difference.

A bit like why go to a Leo Sayer concert when there is much better options out there.

DezB
    Free Member

Ooh, it’s exactly like that!

stu170
    Free Member

I’m a huge fan of the knipex stuff, started with the cobras that get a kicking, then the plier wrench. I’ve a few pairs, far better than a traditional adjustable as it doesn’t work loose and become baggy, because as you put pressure on the jaws close. So no usual adjustable rounding of heads.

And their cutters are the best I’ve ever used, keep an edge for a lifetime.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘does anyone know the make of the adjustable spanner in the Hope HB160 vid?’ is closed to new replies.