Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Does anyone have a Tesla home charger?
  • nickewen
    Free Member

I’m hoping to order a Model 3 and currently trying to organise how it’s going to work with home charging. Does anyone have the Tesla home charger installed?

There are 2 installers listed on the Tesla website locally (North East) but one doesn’t have a website and the other lists every type of charger but the Tesla one.. I’m after some real world advice/tips/info about having one installed at home. I’m going to give both companies a call but thought I’d ask on here first so I’m hopefully clued up on it. My first question is around the constraints of a domestic electricity supply, are there cases where it’s just not technically possible to get a decent/fastish charger installed?

Also, our semi-detached house is a leasehold.. it had a thousand years on it at inception (1960s) and I’ve logged a ‘consent’ query with the management company, but they are known to be a nightmare to deal with. It doesn’t look like you need planning permission but I was wondering if anyone had any experience of this?

I assume once it’s all up and running the car/charger/app etc. look after the battery health automatically once it learns your routine?

Cheers
    Nick

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

You might be better asking on speakev maybe the tesla specific forum.

Just a point, you don’t have to install a tesla charger, you can choose whatever charger you want, so shop around (the only downside I can think of with a 3rd party charger is I believe you can auto open the charge flap on the car with a tesla charger cable).

I’m interested in the ohme smart charger which looks to be good value and very smart (especially if considering Octopus Agile leccy tariff). I currently have an older dumb untethered rolec 7.2kw charger installed into a standard house supply consumer unit, was straightforward (my consumer unit is quite new and had a spare slot). So, Just about to order the ohme smart cable from Octopus Energy which will upgrade my dumb rolec to pretty much that ohme smart charger, ready for Octopus Agile tariff, without having to buy a whole new smart charger unit. Its worth comparing prices of tesla vs the rest and then decide how much the convenience of the above charge flap opening button on the cable is worth to you. some examples here incl the ohme
    https://www.smarthomecharge.co.uk/vehicles/tesla/model-3/

simon_g

If you want the Tesla one you have to just buy it from Tesla and get an electrician to fit.

For a grant funded (OLEV) install it has to be one of their approved chargers/fitters – Tesla have never submitted theirs so you can’t get the grant for one. But any other tethered type 2 or untethered 7kw point will charge a Model 3 just fine. It should work out a lot cheaper as long as there’s no complicated works required for it.

simon_g

This is probably the best summary for Tesla home charging: https://teslaownersgroup.co.uk/kb/charging-at-home-guide

iainc

Quite like these, but £700 a month for a small family saloon really isn’t affordable for me. Hopefully they become more affordable one day…

nickewen
    Free Member

Thanks BA, I hadn’t really considered going non-Tesla for the charger. If the only functional difference is a automatic flap it sounds like a generic one may be better so as not to be locked into a brand of EV.

Really useful Simon, thanks. I didn’t realise the grant was unavailable for the Tesla unit. That’s disappointing. Will delve into that link tonight over a beer or 8.. thanks!

nickewen
    Free Member

The only reason I’m considering one Iain is that they’ve just become available through a work lease scheme at a very competitive price, and it’s fully maintained/insured etc and unlimited mileage. I completely agree, £700 is bonkers money.

iainc

^^^ good to hear that you have an affordable lease scheme. I have looked at lease and pcp but even with the Scottish Government interest free loan deal it is still much more expensive than diesel or petrol fuelled bigger family vehicles in my situation.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Time to get googling for reviews etc

It doesn’t look like you need planning permission but I was wondering if anyone had any experience of this?

All you’re doing is installing an extra plug socket in your home. It’s no different to say, installing an electric shower unit. Do you need permission for that from lease holder?

I assume once it’s all up and running the car/charger/app etc. look after the battery health automatically once it learns your routine?

Before smart chargers you did it from the car or car app, With smart chargers you have the choice of either controlling charging from the charger app or car / car app. So in the tesla M3 I believe you can set the charge start time and what % charge you want it to go to / not go beyond. This effectively also means you can set the stop time by adjusting the ‘set limit’ (adjusts time remaining). The smart charger apps will do something similar start and stop times and more when it’s linked to the cars API etc but also much more sophisticated stuff when you start getting into variable leccy tariffs.
    https://teslatap.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/model-3-chargnig_750.jpg

chipps

Sorry for the late-to-the-thread bump 🙂

How much driving/charging are you going to be doing. We’ve done 5000 miles in our M3 since October and we still don’t have a home charger. We’ve either charged it at home on 240v/2kw three pin plug, or charged it on longer journeys. So you could just leave it a while until you get the car. Some people have got a ‘commando’ (those three pin campervan blue sockets) installed as a stop-gap until they’ve got a ‘proper’ charger as that will do 16A charging, rather than the 10A you’ll get from a three pin.

The charger flap will open if the car is unlocked and you just touch it. Or you can open it in the App, or via the car screen.

We’re looking at a Zappi charger just because we have solar panels too and it can funnel sunshine into the battery (if we ever see any).

macdubh

I use a Pod Point charger with my model 3. Install £1135 including the unit but £800 of grants in Scotland. 30 miles an hour so ideal for overnight. Links to wireless for updates and also to tell you how much energy has been used. You can plug in your electricity rate to the app and get it in £s. Nice unit, 5mtr cable.

couchy
    Free Member

We install car chargers but only for commercial or industrial. However I can say there’s no need to go for a Tesla charged and the additional expense. Any 7kw charge point will do so find the cheapest deal you can, Chargemaster, podpoint etc. Should get something installed for under £200 including the OLEV grant.

FuzzyWuzzy

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/forums/the-uk-and-ireland.114/ is pretty good for Tesla advice

I don’t own one but when I was researching stuff the consensus seemed to be the Tesla charger was over-priced (especially as not covered by the grant) and only really made sense if you had more than one Tesla car (and charger) as the chargers talk to each other then (and presumably balance the charging).

For alternatives the Pod mentioned above seems popular. Looks-wise (if that’s of any importance) the Andersen ones win it for me but they’re pricey and I think on a long lead time for installs

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone have a Tesla home charger?’ is closed to new replies.