Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Does anyone else shout at the news sometimes
  • emma82
    Free Member

I must be getting proper judgy and grumpy in my old age but I’ve just watched an article on Midlands today, something to do with a fat girl not being able to move out of her mums and the government are trying to stop her getting into debt, she can’t get a job so CAB have been given a million quid to make fake rooms of a house to teach her how not to be a complete moron all her life and learn how to ‘run’ a home instead. I must have shouted WTAF about 10 times before it struck me I was actually doing it out loud. How do these people survive, so stupid they must need to be helped to frigging remember to breathe. Sometimes I wonder where this country is headed.

CountZero

Believe me, you are not alone! 😀

glupton1976
    Free Member

Be thankful that you only see that stuff on the news. The clothing of choice in my local area appears to be a dressing gown and PJs.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    franksinatra

There are loads of jobs now that support 100% home working. Telephones and internet have made that possible. Lots of call centre type companies have home based work forces.

Sounds like a lack of imagination by the authorities there. (although I haven’t actually seen the report)

porter_jamie

I do the grumpy old man thing more and more these days, but then I do live near Basildon.

stumpyjon

I give up, whilst we waste resources on someone like that others who could’ve benefited and also contributed to society get ignored.

I also get depressed by the lazy and sensational journalism we seem to get more and more of. There’s also a good chance the article you saw missed out a few pertinent facts to make the storey work better.

emma82
    Free Member

also get depressed by the lazy and sensational journalism we seem to get more and more of. There’s also a good chance the article you saw missed out a few pertinent facts to make the storey work better.

You are very right there, half the things you watch or read are just such a load of crap. I watched something this morning about a grandfather and his granddaughter who died in portugal announcing their names. Given they are abroad and it only just happened I reckon there is a fair chance many of their nearest didnt know. That sort of thing makes my blood boil.

ianmoody
    Free Member

Most of my ‘news shouting’ is aimed at reporters stood in the dark somewhere outside a place where something happened 3 days ago. GO HOME, WHY ARE YOU STOOD OUTSIDE SCOTLAND YARD AT 10PM, WHAT A WASTE OF THE LICENSE FEE.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Shouting at a tv?

Have a word…

emma82
    Free Member

sometimes they hear me though Cynic-al. besides, it makes me feel better

hels
    Free Member

Does it talk back tho ? That’s a worry…

emma82
    Free Member

Sometimes. Sometimes it tells me to do bad things 😈 like eat chocolate philadelphia or buy just for men …..

will
    Free Member

I just don’t let it bother me, literally nothing you can do!

Drac

Given they are abroad and it only just happened I reckon there is a fair chance many of their nearest didnt know.

I see that as the opposite, the fact they waited shows they were waiting until the family had been contacted. But I also see you OP as the opposite, they are trying to help a person that needs help. It’ll probably cost more long term if the didn’t provide any help.

Gorehound
    Free Member

Sometimes. Sometimes it tells me to do bad things like eat chocolate philadelphia or buy just for men …..

The hair dye?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

more likely to hear me shouting at posts on here!! 😆

hels
    Free Member

Eeek. I couldn’t turn my back on the tele for weeks after I watched The Ring.

lizzz
    Free Member

I used to shout at the news channel. Mostly for not having any actual news. I had to stop watching when they kept insisting on interviewing random people on the street for opinions instead of going to experts.
    They had (still have?) reporters with no real understanding of whatever was going on interviewing members of the general public who have to real understanding either!! HOW IS THAT USEFUL TO ANYONE?!

emma82
    Free Member

Perhaps they did wait drac but when I watched it this morning the reporters words were ‘and news just received in the last few minutes…..’. It didn’t sound like they were waiting to be honest, more like they’d talked about the story lots since it broke and were desperate for anything new to come out to they could keep it running.

Yep, sometimes the telly wants me to buy man hair dye. Don’t know why though.

I had to stop watching when they kept insisting on interviewing random people on the street for opinions instead of going to experts.

Pet hate of mine too. 🙂

nicko74

Most of my ‘news shouting’ is aimed at reporters stood in the dark somewhere outside a place where something happened 3 days ago.

Or when they’re talking about (for example) rail delays up and down the West Coast mainline – so the reporter has to be in a station because… well, trains.

Charlie Brooker has covered this fantastically well in Newsburn; the depressing thing is that it reads like “first they dumbed down ITV, and I said nothing because I do not watch ITV. Then they dumbed down BBC, and I said nothing, but switched to Channel 4 News. Then they dumbed down Channel 4 News and I stopped watching the news. Now I know nothing”

brooess
    Free Member

Journalism doesn’t exist to inform – it exists for the media owners to have influence and power for their own end. Tabloids obviously exist purely to make money, no intention to inform at all.
    Ignore newspapers, TV and all mainstream media outlets, they’re all biased to either the left or the right…
    I started reading the Economist a few years ago and it right opened my eyes to the utter bias and misinformation fed to us by even the ‘respectable’ broadsheets and BBC…
    Either read something neutral and independent, or read 2+ of the broadsheets and/or a foreign newspaper and you’ll be closer to the truth

footflaps

I gave up TV long ago, 99.9% utter drivel esp the News which seems to be dumbed down completely. Reading the papers (broadsheet) is so much better (IMO).

kerv
    Free Member

Yep I shout at the news, my other half is not at all amused by it, but sometimes these people (usually tories)need to be told! 🙂

CountZero

Emma, the two people who drowned in Portugal died at around 2.00pm yesterday:

Lara Lewis and Brian O’Dwyer were swept into the sea at the resort of Nazare, which is 60 miles north of Lisbon, at 14:00 local time on Tuesday.

They had been strolling on Salgado beach with the girl’s grandmother when the wave dragged them into the sea.

Fishermen pulled them out of the water but only the woman survived.

The Foreign Office did not confirm the names after sources disclosed the details.

A spokesman said: “We are aware of reports of the death of two British nationals in Portugal and we are in touch with the local authorities.”
    Like the poor little lad at Burnham, they held back until relatives had been informed.

emma82
    Free Member

Good

BigJohn

I especially like the media’s obsession with the media. Especially when you have a reporter interviewing a reporter about another reporter.

scaled
    Free Member

I’ve given up on the news channels, I tend to pick most of it up from twitter though, it’s faster and it’s interesting to see who publicises what.

If the right wing, young firebrand tories and bleeding heart liberals are all banging on about the same thing then it’s generally worth a read 😀

I did shout at the radio last night, 5 live phone in and some woman was very irate and said of the person who’d taken photos of Harry naked “If they were American, should be shot, drawn and quartered”

I particularly liked the racism aspect 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

The authorities always wait until the relatives have been informed in my experience as a hack.

And the media are not as desperate to upset people as you might think.

I still shout at the news though.

BigJohn

If they were American, should be shot, drawn and quartered

Is that because they don’t use hanging in America?

IHN

but I’ve just watched an article on Midlands today

You see, there’s your problem right there.

onehundredthidiot

Just watching the cycle show and Eddie Merckx is on, being asked a question by some chump in a “cycle cafe” wearing a TdF yellow jersey. If you were going to be in the presence of a cycling great why wear a tour jersey you’ve not earned?

cynic-al
    Free Member

If you were going to be in the presence of a cycling great why wear a tour jersey you’ve not earned?

Because it’s what fans do and if Eddy got offended it would mark him out as a bit of a dick?

binners

Does anyone else shout at the news sometimes

Sometimes? I shout at the news constantly. Like a running commentary of foaming-at-the-mouth, vitriolic abuse!

There are certain things that immediately make the better half change channels to save the telly from being kicked across the room. Or my head exploding. Like, say, Michael Gove popping up on Newsnight 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

I saw somebody wearing a Ronaldinho shirt in Epping Forest the other day.

But he wasn’t Ronaldinho at all, the cheeky prick.

dannyh
    Free Member

Yes – but not often the subject matter – more the standard of reporting and journalism.

Two cases in point:

A general one is where the BBC cut to their political/sports/business editor and then proceed to interview them by asking their opinion of what is going on – I don’t care what Nick bloody Robinson thinks! Tell me what’s actually happening!

On Midlands Today a few years back there was a nasty case of a loan shark intimidating people etc and he was convicted – a bad person got his comeuppance – good. They then proceeded to interview one of his ‘victims’ – he was shadowed out and had his own caption ‘Robert – Victim’. He then went on about how terrible the experience had been etc etc. All very well until the closing remark from the reporter was “that was Robert – victim of so and so, he used the money to buy drugs”. I nearly expired then and there.

Also I wish Fiona Bruce would stop doing that frigging looking earestly down her nose and shaking her head sorrowfully when introducing a ‘serious’ story. Don’t get me wrong – I’m a bit of a Bruce fan, but that is starting to get on my tits.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m sorry emma82 and all the rest who shout at the tellybox.. most of us fume in pure rage in the corner of the room.

Alone.

emma82
    Free Member

Ahhhhh I agree with all the above said. So it’s actually the media reporting I hate rather than the actual stories, most of which are probably made up.

martinhutch

As a reporter (non-broadcast) in a previous life, it can work in a similar way – you’re pitched an interesting-sounding story, talk to the authorities/charity involved, still sounds reasonable, ask them for a ‘case-study’ ie a punter who is involved in some way with an interesting story to tell, are provided with some numb-nut whose pathetic qualities then totally undermine the thrust of the story.

The ‘poor victim (who just happens to have spent it all on crack)’ example above has it in a nutshell.

As a print journalist I occasionally had to drop the case study completely – broadcast journalists are often skewered because by the time they get the individual to interview, without a case study it will be hard to make something which lasts the requisite three minutes…

And yes, I often shout at the telly. Normally when I see they’ve sent Huw Edwards to some middle-east hotspot just to do a piece to camera.

dannyh
    Free Member

As an addition to my previous comments – the whole ‘BBC having to interview their own correspondent’ thing, particularly with regards to politics, is a direct result of the ‘spin’ culture that really took off in the early to mid nineties (others may argue that that should be 1890’s, though).

Instead of getting a proper interview with a minister, MP or whatever, the media get a ‘statement’ – which has been carefully worded to say nothing, but take a suitable long time to read out (for added gravitas). The journos don’t put up with having their todgers tugged for very long, though, and start to head off to get more juicy quotes out of people who are willing to give them (self-publicists and/or people who are looking like being the ‘fall-guy’).

The ensuing hatchet job with ‘off the record’ briefings etc further entrench the position of “only deal with the press through the press office”.

It is a positive feedback loop with many consequences.

One of which is the rise of politicians who do actually shoot their mouths off – Prescott and Clarke to name a couple – because at least they say SOMETHING – even if it is shite.

Which just leaves us the likes of Ian Hislop – who I think is brilliant, but he never acknowledges what an easy job he has – just sniping at overyone all of the time is not difficult, or particulalry clever!

Rant over – lesson learnt – never, ever take anything at face value (at least not to begin with).

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Depressingly regular news stories about the very real failing of the Tory party in the basic duty of government to protect the most needy in society, in fact appearing intent on hammering the sick/elderly/poor/young/disabled etc, while simultaneously stitching things up for themselves/mates.

It is this more than anything which has me blurting expletives at the inanimate object in the corner of the room.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone else shout at the news sometimes’ is closed to new replies.