Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Does anyone else have issues with their calves bumping/brushing the downtube??
  • psychle
    Free Member

I do and it’s driving me bonkers, particularly on the road bike! Am I a freak, or do others have this ‘issue’?

druidh
    Free Member

Nowhere near. Funny thing is, I was looking at this recently trying to assess how much carrying capacity one of these frame bags could have. FWIW, my thighs do tend to brush against the top tube….

letmetalktomark

Sometimes……

crikey
    Free Member

Do you really mean the downtube?

MrSmith
    Free Member

I do and it’s driving me bonkers, particularly on the road bike! Am I a freak, or do others have this ‘issue’?

possibly knee mistracking from supination. footbeds wedges/cleat wedges will sort that (worked for me)

psychle
    Free Member

LMTTM, oddly enough, my calves are somewhat like that, years of mashing big gears inappropriately has made ’em rather wide…

Do you really mean the downtube?

Yep, the tube what runs down from the headtube to the bottom bracket, this is the downtube yes?

my thighs do tend to brush against the top tube…

My thighs don’t, but my knees do (I try to keep ’em in nice and tight, is this the ‘right’ thing?)

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

You need a different road bike is all.

Might I recommend …

thomthumb
    Free Member

no but they do hit the seat stays.

LsD
    Free Member

I’m mostly worrying about the tops of my thighs brushing my stomach these days….. 😳

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Do you ride with your knees pointing in the way?

psychle
    Free Member

no but they do hit the seat stays.

Same actually…

Not sure what you’re asking here SBZ?

Haze

The V Locus?

molgrips
    Free Member

Downtube – no

Front mech – yes, and it leave an oily mark on my leg, which annoys me and will probably give me cancer or something at some point, all those hydrocarbons sitting there.

Esme
    Free Member

Oily mark? The technical term is “bletch” (if you’re from the North Midlands)

psychle
    Free Member

sorry, my bad… I meant the seat tube (just been out for a ride and realised my folly… 😳 ). But still, hitting the seat stays and seat tube is a bit of a pain as well, surely not ‘normal’?

Esme
    Free Member

Do you have cankles?

psychle
    Free Member

not my ankles hitting, it’s the middle of my calves, where they’re the widest… maybe I need to put my saddle up a bit or something?

mrmo
    Free Member

my calves do brush the end of the “seat stays” on my top fuel and i used to catch my heels on the v brakes on hard tails.

aracer
    Free Member

psychle
    Free Member

that’s certainly not a calf aracer… just how much did you have to google to find that image?? 😆

kilo

+1 Mr smith.

Mrs Kilo has something similar, at a bikefit session it was pointed out that one leg was slightly longer than the other leading to a slight twist and causing this. They placed shims under the road cleat and this has cured the problem (similar to these http://www.bike-science.com/index.php?p=product&products_id=1254&cid=4. If you go down this route you may need a longer cleat bolt.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

lay off the pies

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Psychle does have proper massive calves. I can vouch for this, having seen them pounding out the miles to Brighton last week. 😀

As for ‘lay off the pies’; it’s mostly muscle. He’s a very powerful rider. Climbs hills on a singlespeed without getting out of the saddle. 😯

oldgit
    Free Member

I’m sat here trying to fathom out how they get so close? I guess you’re still comfortable though.
    If you look at some of the massively built trackies, they’re still many inches away.
    Even if I tuck my kness in, it’ll cause my heels to point out slightly so even then my legs go no closer.
    Very odd.
    Strangely we have a rider that pushes 48×16 up the biggest hills here (Bison Pass) yet that’s made his legs tiny, so much so that his lycra shorts are baggy now like our Bradley.
    I want to ride behind you now just to see.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone else have issues with their calves bumping/brushing the downtube??’ is closed to new replies.