• This topic has 49 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by will.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Does anyone else find they are starving by mid morning….??
  • DrP

Regardless of what/how I eat for breakfast, I’m famished and could quite easily tuck into my lunch by 1030!

Porridge – still ‘ungry…
    Home-made hash brown and eggs – when’s lunch…
    Museli – rumble rumble…
    Scrambled eggs and smoked salmon – can’t wait ’till elevenses…

Bar fishing a huge worm out of my GI tract in order to solve this, I’ve resided myself to a life of constant grazing…..

DrP

wwaswas

It’s why elevenses were invented 🙂

Pint of tea and a bit of fruit cake to tide me over until lunchtime.

camo16
    Free Member

Starving at 10.30? That’s a classic sign of boredom in work.

At home, I eat lunch at the proper time. Here, it’s all gone by 11.

meehaja
    Free Member

I hvae a huge bowl of porridge with sultanas and vanilla protein mix for breakfast at about 0530. by 0900 I’m ready to eat again. However, I often have my lunch at 1030 and then don’t need to eat again until 1800. It sucks, mostly cos I’ve given up croissants for the new year.

Coyote
    Free Member

Occasionally, yes. However a pint of water and ride the pangs and the hunger dissipates usually till around 12:30 – 1:00.

trail_rat
    Free Member

grazing isnt all that bad

its huge portions coupled with grazing that causes the issues.

if you just graze constantly its actually better for you (if your exercising) than binge eating.

stumpy01

Yep. I am the same, seemingly regardless of what I eat for brekkie.

I do wonder how much of it is psychological, as if I end up doing something different from my normal work, time will pass & I might not feel hungry. Then i’ll notice the time & within 5 mins I am hungry.

I have started bringing in a box of chopped up veg every day to munch on. Quite filling & virtually no calories.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I find an apple a day keeps the Dr away and possibly hunger

PS cigarettes supress the appetite

cp

and the issue is??!

I’m the same – eg. today

Brekky – 2 scrambled eggs on thick home made toast followed by more toast and peanut butter/jam

Mid morning – crisps, banana, prob a hot cross bun today

lunch – half a ready-made quiche, salad, bagel, yoghurt, nuts & raisins

afternoon – big bowl of cereal

dinner – massive pasta/chicken & sauce etc.. or similar, few choccies and fruit

pre-bed – another bowl of cereal

sometimes I wake up in the night hungry too – another 2am bowl of cereal….

Murray

Yes. I eat carrots when the pangs get too much for me!

maccruiskeen

If I don’t eat breakfast (and I usually don’t) then I don’t get hungry before lunch at all. In fact unless I’m working with other people it might not occur to me to have a meal til late afternoon/early evening. But if I do have a breakfast of any sort then I get hungry again pretty early on.

allthepies
    Free Member

Sounds like you should see a Docto….

ah.

miketually
    Free Member

I used to be the same, but I can now happily just have coffee for breakfast and nothing until lunch.

The change happened after going mostly slow carb. I assume my body’s just got used to using fat for fuel?

Cougar

If I don’t eat breakfast (and I usually don’t) then I don’t get hungry before lunch at all. In fact unless I’m working with other people it might not occur to me to have a meal til late afternoon/early evening.

Same here.

_tom_
    Free Member

Cp that sounds like a lot! How much exercise do you have to do to stop yourself getting massive?

footflaps

When I’m working outside on the workshop, I don’t get hungry at all till about 1am, whereas sat in an office, I’m starving by about 9.30. Would love to know why….

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Oh NUTZ ….

I wasn’t hungry for once until I read this…. (had a bit on this morn to take my mind off grazing)

So now I’ll dip into my big ol bag of nuts

Keva
    Free Member

yep, I get hungry but just ignore it. Funny thing is, I’m sat here hungry but as soon as I get on my bike to ride into town for lunch the hunger disappears. Boredom hunger innit. Same for the w/ends. Same breakfast but if I go out on the bike I’m not hungry at all until I actually decide to stop riding and eat something. Just goes to show ya, work is bad for your health!

organic355
    Free Member

Get one of these to keep you going:

Keva
    Free Member

When I’m working outside on the workshop, I don’t get hungry at all till about 1am, whereas sat in an office, I’m starving by about 9.30. Would love to know why….

because sitting in front of a PC probably bores you senseless, same as me.

ahwiles
    Free Member

me too.

the solution? – bigger first breakfast, a second breakfast at around 9:30, and elevenses.

then a lunchbox full of pies.

after all that i’m quite full, and don’t need to eat again until at least 3:30…

footflaps

because sitting in front of a PC probably bores you senseless, same as me.

Fair cop, it’s only STW which gets me through the day!

peterfile
    Free Member

home made toast

Does that taste different to toast purchased from a toast vendor?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Porridge helps, but like you DrP, not a guarantee of lasting ’til lunchtime (he says, finishing a piece of toast).

I would love to ascribe this to lots of factors, but sadly reckon its a simple lack of will power and the fault of habit and easy temptation!

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

I only get hungry if I eat breakfast, so now I just have a coffee. Eat at 2ish

mindmap3
    Free Member

It’s definitely boredom hunger. I only get it when in the office; I’m fine at weekends and when out on site, but if I’m at my desk I’m hungry by half ten.

GrahamS

Starving at 10.30? That’s a classic sign of boredom in work.

Ask yourself “Am I hungry enough to eat an apple?”

No? Then it’s boredom hunger, or you are actually thirsty.

Yes? Well eat an apple then.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’ve yet to figure out the pattern in my hunger pangs. What I eat for breakfast varies a lot but I try and eat the same thing for while, so I’ll start having 3 eggs and be great for 3 or 4 days then I’ll start getting hunger pangs before lunch and try something else, like porridge or toast and often works for a couple of days to. Every time I think I’ve discovered the ultimate fairly low calorie but filling breakfast I end up ditching it due to hunger pangs days later. I can’t see your body ‘getting used to it’ would be the cause but it’s annoying.
    I’m currently on the skip breakfast and have a Boost at 10am diet, it’s not great though as I needed a flapjack an hour ago to keep me going until lunch…

GrahamS

I ride to work on an empty stomach, just an espresso and a pint of orange squash. Then about 10am I have a roll with sausages and egg, plus a big ass black coffee.

That sees me through till lunch around 1ish. If I get hungry before then I have some flavoured water.

Solo
    Free Member

No breakfast here.

However, its been observed that when protein in the form of meat, reaches the small intestine. Peristalsis slows in order to give the gut more time for absorption. Resulting in food staying in the gut for longer and so delaying any trigger for the feeling of hunger.*
    This is why people might claim that a protein oriented breakfast may last them longer throughout the day.

Other factors that influence hunger are hormones such as Ghrelin (released when the stomach is empty) and what your leptin sensitivity is like.

*I think boredom probably does trigger hunger too.

globalti
    Free Member

I just eat a banana or an apple.

labsey
    Free Member

Yup, strangely it doesn’t matter if I’ve had breakfast or not.

Granola bars sort it til lunch though.

Jamie
    Free Member

Stangely, I seem to be fine when it comes to hunger in the day…

ourmaninthenorth

You are a medical doctor.
    You have access to controlled drugs.
    Like heroin.
    Have you ever seen a fat heroin addict?

Well then.

Jamie
    Free Member

You are a medical doctor.
    You have access to controlled drugs.
    Like heroin.
    Have you ever seen a fat heroin addict?

Well then.

*cue a ‘anyone else find they are clucking for smack by mid morning….??’ thread in about 6 months*

wonnyj
    Free Member

Not on the idave diet I don’t……………..

😯 😛

LoCo
    Free Member

Yep, that crack, bit moreish isn’t it?! 😯

And also to OP yes, but having stopped eating meat, stop smoking, eating cake & chocolate, drinking as well as loosing weight it’s not surprising.

(strangly choc is only thing I really crave)

Jamie
    Free Member

…having stopped eating meat, stop smoking, eating cake & chocolate, drinking…

My condolences.

LoCo
    Free Member

😆 well giving up just one is too easy 😉 The crack really helps takes your mind off wanting the other stuff…

Should be slightly less slow come the summer race season too 😉

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

Used to find this before going Paleo. The answer for me was MOAR FAT at breakfast, along with the carbs and protein.

The other thing is that you might not actually be eating enough at meal times.

Example breakfasts that stop me from snacking:

scrambled eggs, palm sized portion of smoked salmon or bacon, 1/2 avocado

Berries topped with coconut milk/cream and toasted nuts and flax seeds with a drizzle of flax oil

Home made frittata using eggs, chopped veg, potato, some chorizo or bacon and cooked in butter or coconut oil (I make on a Sunday, lasts 4 breakfasts)

Breakfast sausage patties made with pork mince and diced veggies, usually have those with some spinach and tomatoes – I take them to work and heat them in the microwave

If you’re more a fan of sweet stuff at breakfast I also make Paleo pancakes using eggs, mashed banana and ground almonds which can be made in advance and heated in the toaster, then topped with whatever you want

I snack heaps less on Paleo, I am much, much less hungry between meals. I don’t need to count calories either and I can maintain my weight pretty well, in conjunction with regular exercise.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone else find they are starving by mid morning….??’ is closed to new replies.