• This topic has 33 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by mt.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • does anyone actually listen to the Archers?
  • alpin
    Free Member

i like Radio 4 and almost always have it on in the background if i’m not at work (like today). i like the variety and information, but does anyone actually listen to and follow the Archers?

i like the intro (i have it as my ring tone now) but the rest of it is just drivle….

JEngledow
    Free Member

My Mum tunes in every day, but she is old!

donsimon
    Free Member

*reported to BBC for not paying licence fee*

edd

My Mum listens…

bigG
    Free Member

Yes, I listen to it.i download the omnibus and listen to it as I bimble around doing odd jobs and bike maintenance. Makes a change from music.

AngusWells

I do Clarrie lurv.

rkk01
    Free Member

Normally have R4 on in the car.

Archers intro music rarely gets through the first bar without an irrational “punch the off button” reaction

z1ppy

My Mum did….

cynic-al
    Free Member

I like it.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Yeah mine did too.

I don’t turn it off, but no longer catch it enough to follow what’s actually happening, as the characters change I struggle to know who’s who…

AngusWells

You know its real, don’t you?

Pigface
    Free Member

I used to listen to it a lot but it has changed and become as ridiculous as the other soaps. Certain characters like Linda Snell are fantastic but the soul has gone out of it. You used to have story lines lasting 20 years now it is just bobbins.

RustySpanner

Hang him!

It’s genius.
    Intelligent storylines that have time to develop, brilliant acting and genuine humour.

Takes a bit to get into, but worth the effort – the Jazzer/Fallon/Kirsty/Harry roadtrip promises to be a classic. 😀

Don’t watch soaps on the telly, but The Archers is different. It’s so well done and covers everything the telly soaps does and always has done:
    Murder, drug addiction, depression, adultery, dementia, rape, civil disobedience, and ferret strangling.

All this and Lynda Snell too.
    What more could you want?

unklehomered
    Free Member

Murder, adultery, drug addiction, depression, adultery, dementia, rape, civil disobedience, and ferret strangling.

And that was just last Wednesday…

ART

Used to listen to it a lot too (er yeah it was my Mum that always listened, & I grew up with it, alongside Brian Redhead and Libby Purvis on Today) but for some reason I stopped about 5 years ago, don’t know why, just did.

geetee1972
    Free Member

The Archers.

The perineum of radio 4.

tang
    Free Member

If it coincides with washing up and waiting for ‘front row’, then yes. Even though it was on I couldn’t tell you what happened yesterday!

geetee1972
    Free Member

I hate the Archers most when I’m forced to listen to it because I’ve just missed the Radio 4 comedy half hour.

Trimix
    Free Member

I listen to it while sat in the van waiting for my weekly night ride to start.

Stoner
    Free Member

as soon as the first bar of the music comes on the radio, it’s as good as a starter’s pistol and the race is on between Mrs S and me across the kitchen to slam the off button.

Only Ed Balls’ voice makes me move faster.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Yeah I listen to it on and off. Mostly off at the moment, so I’ve lost track of id Dave has been murdered yet by the horobins or whatever the current story line is.

TheFopster
    Free Member

+1 for knee-jerk off-switch reaction. Mrs F loves it. It takes all sorts.

footflaps

as soon as the first bar of the music comes on the radio, it’s as good as a starter’s pistol and the race is on between Mrs S and me across the kitchen to slam the off button.

+1

emsz
    Free Member

Been listening to it last week funnily enough, at first I was all ” what is this crap” but it’s like one of those songs you hate but can’t get out of your head, and today I actually missed it lol

I’ll get over it though, when your on holiday in the countryside it’s ok, now I’m back home I think not…

Aristotle
    Free Member

footflaps – Member

+1
    +1. It’s garbage. Thankfully I’m usually washing-up at the time so can quickly press the off button. It’s more of an effort if we’re still eating. Annoyingly, I’m not that keen on Marc Riley’s 6 Music show at 7pm.

Why can’t they just broadcast the latest over-acted, strangely-accented excitement from Ambridge at 1am instead? The octogenarian listeners will probably still be awake or they can learn to use iPlayer.

willard

I use the music as a means of honing my reflexes and ability to reach for the off switch. I like Radio 4, but cannot stand the Archers.

Apparently the theme is a proper piece of music and not just a short theme tune. Strange, I’ve never listened to more than two notes of it…

bikebouy
    Free Member

For years I did then I stopped and got a life and now it seems that I’m either getting in a car/out of a car or on a train or off a train and it’s in my ears.. I do a lot of travelling at 7 it seems.

Isn’t Tamsin Greig on it these days?

She was in the Friday Night play and it was scary it was..

donsimon
    Free Member

I used to listen and at some point met a few of the cast. They’re better looking on the radio.

spchantler
    Free Member

no. its shit.

Don’t watch soaps on the telly

why not. its no different.

RustySpanner

Because I can cook a meal/fettle bikes whilst I’m listening. 😀

Tamsin Greig has been on it for yonks – less so these days, sadly.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Can’t bear it, but the OH loves it. Some of the acting is terrible, and there’s a real template to the storylines and the delivery of the actors’ lines that really grates on me.

onehundredthidiot

Parents listen every evening. Woe betide anyone who phones between 7 and 7.15.

I do listen in the car after the comedy 1/2 hour if heading back down the road at the time.

marcus7
    Free Member

probably the best continuing drama series available in the world today IMO, whats not to like?, over hyped story lines, bizzare characters,dubious acting, I began my journey with the archers around 4 years ago and it has never failed to entertain, it does take about two years hard listening to get into and is possibly not worth the trouble. But for those of us that have put the hours in it is simply AWESOME.

mt
    Free Member

Listened to it for years and years (from a little un with me mum)and enjoyed the story of simple farming folk. Rot set in some while ago but the stupid storylines really made me realise it was just as crap as all the other soaps.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘does anyone actually listen to the Archers?’ is closed to new replies.