Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Does anybody service their forks themselves?
  • shermer75
    Free Member

I have some Rockshox Sid XX with remote lockout that have started only getting about half their travel after being left unused for ages. I can’t really afford to send them to Mojo so I want to fix them myself. Any tips and advices? Any pointers where I can get some good info and parts?
    All help welcome! 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, it’s a piece of cake.

Tons of guides and videos online, often from the manufacturer;
    Loads of forum posts about people doing;
    Plenty of people on here who do it and can help;

Basically, follow the instructions, take their assertions of ‘special tools’ that you need with a pinch of salt, and most importantly have a really clean workspace. If necessary do it in a big foil tray on the kitchen table instead of the garage. Also, a torque wrench helps, as some bits are reasonably fragile. Seals etc are available in kits.

shermer75
    Free Member

Very reassuring and good to know! Thanks! 🙂

tjagain

very straightforward with most forks. Servicing is just an oil change. Changing seals is only needed if they are leaking, bushes only if they are worn

stumpy01

Yeah, I do mine myself. It sounds from your description that some of the damper oil has leaked down into the lower leg.

You can download the manual from the SRAM website, or just google your model of forks ‘technical manual’.

Have a good read through several times & know what tools & oil you’ll need.

As above, a decent, clean area to work in helps and I use a large foil roasting tin underneath the forks to catch the oil.

The biggest problem I find, is that you can sometimes permanently deform the circlips if you aren’t careful with them. You can get them back on, but never quite as well.

nedrapier

blown a seal?

trail_rat
    Free Member

only pain in the arse is making a tool to push the upper bushings in further to the taper as they wear (assuming rockshox) But youll know when this has to happen as youll have more fore and aft play than you do up and down 😀

I had to do some rebas for my SS as they were not worth sending away for a service so i took a punt and it worked out well 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Changing seals is only needed if they are leaking, bushes only if they are worn

Yep. Although it sounds as if the OP’s fork is leaking oil somewhere into the wrong part of the fork. You tend to buy the whole kit, so you might as well swap all the o-rings whilst you are in there.

Another tip – you often end up with new o-rings for different places that are very nearly the same size as each other but not quite. So you need to use your fingers to feel which is which. Also, DO NOT GET THE OLD ONES MIXED UP WITH THE NEW ONES! It is nearly impossible to tell them apart and you will go mad trying 🙂

Circlips – if you need them, circlip pliers are available in Halfords and are cheap and worth it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

sounds more like air has migrated between chambers to me than oil.

mark90
    Free Member

blown a seal?

No it’s just ice cream

daern
    Free Member

Circlips – if you need them, circlip pliers are available in Halfords and are cheap and worth it.

Yes, just don’t get the modular ones as they are bloody awful. A set like this are the sort of things you want and you can probably get them even cheaper if you shop around.

Oh, and always wear safety squints when buggering with circlips. Lethal bloody things they are!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Changing seals is only needed if they are leaking

I’d disagree, whilst you have them stripped and clean, change all seals, you get them all in the kit anyway, and you won’t know once it’s all rebuilt the condition of that seal (and even less chance you’ll open it up again to do it.

beano68
    Free Member

Yup, its easier than you think ! got tired off sending them off to the LBS and loosing days on the bike plus paying someone else to do it, so started to do it myself, loads of instructions online

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Does anybody service their forks themselves?’ is closed to new replies.