Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Does anybody on here collect/stack/invest in precious metals
  • jhpbk
    Free Member

Afternoon..

No idea why this has been on my mind for the past few weeks, but I was wondering if anybody on here has any experience in investing in Silver/Gold?
    I have some coins etc, but only passed down through family. I have never actually purchased for the point of investing.

However, I do quite like the idea of holding an invested asset physically.

Does anybody on here do this, have any thoughts? Or know the best place to buy, or get into it.

Thanks all!

dakuan
    Free Member

only pewter utensils

nickjb
    Free Member

I did hear that if you buy gold coins like sovereigns they aren’t subject to capital gains tax. Did strike me as an moderately interesting way to have a diverse asset that you can actually hold. No idea how you buy them and know you have the real thing. Also don’t forget where you hide it, a friend found one down the back of a fitted bedroom unit in his new house.

SSS
    Free Member

UK gold coins such as Britannias arent subject to CGT, but non UK coins are subject to CGT (Kruggerands etc). As in any UK minted coin (Royal Mint) is legal tender and are CGT exempt – whereas non UK coins are not legal tender.

paul_m

You can buy Gold and Silver coins directly from the Royal Mint as well

nickjb
    Free Member

So you can.

Link so STW gets the kickback 🙂 https://www.royalmint.com/shop/gold/gold-bullion-coins

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

You would have to have a helluva lot of them , and they’d have to rise considerably , to even think about CGT , even if it is payable.
    Gold Mine stocks are a far more profitable punt, no one’s going to nick ’em, and put them in an ISA and You’ll pay no tax at all….
    Unless you like the idea of rubbing yourself with gold….

finbar
    Free Member

The spread (i.e. buy vs. sell price from dealers) on gold coins is horrendous, you’ll need 7-10% of gains just to cover that.

Bullion is a bit better at 2-3% but still, not for me.

That said, gold is arguably part of any well-diversified portfolio and I’ve got some iShares physical gold ETF holdings – which seems considerably less hassle than hiding coins behind fitted furniture and/or buying a fire-proof safe.

A further thought: plenty of ‘preppers’ have gold coins ready for when the internet/global banking system collapses. Worth considering if that’s a risk you think worth managing.

andylc
    Free Member

I also have Ishares physical gold ETF in my ISA although to be fair they are underperforming compared to stock market trackers so far. Will keep them for a while to see what they do…

bear-uk
    Free Member

I have just bought a 1oz gold Britannia coin with the kings head on it in a blister pack. I intend to buy a few more.
    It’s a long term investment to be handed down and hopefully the taxman won’t get to know about it.

finbar
    Free Member

I also have Ishares physical gold ETF in my ISA although to be fair they are underperforming compared to stock market trackers so far. Will keep them for a while to see what they do…

That’s the theory. In a stock market boom (as per currently, albeit it’s a weird one driven by only seven companies), gold will lag.

In a bust though, investors retreat from stocks into the safety of gold.

Of course it’s never quite that clear-cut in practice, but by owning both you – in theory – are better placed to manage both scenarios.

FWIW you’d be mad to allocate much of your liquid net worth to gold IMO. 1-3% would be sensible maybe, depending on your outlook.

poly
    Free Member

Gold Mine stocks are a far more profitable punt, no one’s going to nick ’em, and put them in an ISA and You’ll pay no tax at all….

presumably that has the risk of the management of the business, geological success of the mine etc on top of the global value of gold?

A further thought: plenty of ‘preppers’ have gold coins ready for when the internet/global banking system collapses. Worth considering if that’s a risk you think worth managing.

interesting I wonder what and who from they plan to buy with gold coins in a world that no longer has the ability to trade anything actually useful! In that world their cans of soup are potentially worth more than their gold!

jamiemcf

Out of curiosity, last year I put £125 quid into the Royal Mint’s Digigold. It’s currently with £128.04 last week it dropped to £126.
    I do have a few silver coins and a selection of UK coin sets I’ve been handed down. Nothing that’s going to net a massive return. I’ve showed my boys the 1979s New Pence 2ps that I have in a jar.

andylc
    Free Member

Current buoyant stock markets aren’t just the big 7. S&P 500 Nasdaq and Nikkei are all doing well.

footflaps

As Aurubis boss Roland Harings visited the construction site of its new US plant last month, the German metals recycler was unravelling a colossal fraud back home in Hamburg. Europe’s biggest copper producer had discovered it was missing vast amounts of the metal from its warehouses — Aurubis this week said its stocks are €185mn short — and blamed a suspected conspiracy between suppliers and its own staff. The case is the latest in a sector plagued by scandal. But even life-long industry insiders were shocked at the size of the alleged scam. “I’ve been in the business over 55 years and I can’t remember seeing something on this scale,” said Michael Lion, a Hong Kong-based metals recycling veteran. “I can’t recall an instance of collusion of this type.”

https://www.ft.com/content/00920f73-6650-42bd-b64d-f54b8c67a9b3

finbar
    Free Member

Current buoyant stock markets aren’t just the big 7. S&P 500 Nasdaq and Nikkei are all doing well.

Going a bit off topic, but those seven companies are driving the S&P500 growth:

Check Figure 3 here: https://www.bloomberg.com/professional/blog/indices-2024-outlook-equity/

Those same seven companies are also ~40% of the Nasdaq 100.

TBF I don’t know the first thing about the Nikkei.

funkmasterp

You’ll need to buy a coffer to keep your gold and silver in. That’s a whole new thread.

alpin
    Free Member

A few years ago my sister and I inherited a coin collection. Amongst it were quite a few gold coins… Sovereigns, Krugerrands. Thought about keeping one of the sovereigns from my year of birth, but figured I would have to have been really bloody desperate if I needed to sell it but then I’ve the hassle of physically keeping something so small yet valuable on me.

We decided to sell lot as neither of us wanted the hassle of physically keeping hold of the collection. Unfortunately we sold it about six months prior to the gold price jumping up.

The effort and worry of keeping it somewhere safe, but within reach was too much for me.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.