Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Does anybody have a DMR Bolt Long?
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

I have just seen these and they look rather in interesting so was after some actual owners opinions.

Bikeradar say they are good heavy hitting trail bikes, so they sound pretty spot on to replace my Enduro.

thepodge
    Free Member

I don’t but I almost bought one. problem is they never seem to come up second hand.

there was a mini review on the front page of this site a while back but I cant find it. I seem to remember them saying it was a fun bike.

I have a commencal Absolut SX as my main trail bike which is basically the same thing but french & love it

passtherizla
    Free Member

Andy that guy Si that I ride with has one… You could probably give it a go?

He’s tall too.

jim600
    Free Member

I’ve just built mine up. Im 6ft’2 so the normal bolt always felt a bit small/cramped – this is a much better fit.

I originally was going to buy an absolut sx which is pretty similar, but the bolt is just a little taller/longer.

It is heavy but its also pretty bulletproof, I built mine up after my mondraker kept falling apart – with the idea that it could be taken to the middle of nowhere and nothing much would break (steel frame, coil shock, coil forks, alfine, cable brakes, big’ol bearings).

It’s a fun bike, I wouldnt want to ride it on long all day-rides regularly, but as a do-it all I’m pretty happy with it.

And a pic:

thepodge
    Free Member

Very nice

jim600
    Free Member

Thanks, it was your advice a few months ago to look at the absolut sx/bolt/kona a that prompted me to try one. 😀 It works well with the alfine – no faffing with tensioners!

thepodge
    Free Member

Looks like you’ve built the bike I originally wanted in that case, no wonder I like it.

I’ve put horizontal dropouts on mine now to get rid of the home bodge front tensioner but I’m thinking of getting one of those oval chainrings. Partly as I need a new one & partly as I’ve read they can reduce suspension bob, in which case I’ll go back to the vertical ones & a rear tensioner.

I’ve been pestering dmr to sell me their 853 prototype but as yet they’ve not caved in. It’s supposed to be much lighter.

I_Ache
    Free Member

That looks bloody lovely. I know its not really what they are designed for buy now does it climb? I need all the help I can get.

I would love to have a go on one Andy, when does he usually ride?

jim600
    Free Member

I think it climbs fairly well for what it is, but I havnt really done enough riding on it to comment on long ascents. Itll hopefully be comin with me to morocco in a couple of months, (hence all the cables/coils that can be fixed with a hammer). So will see how well it climbs then. The shock makes a bit of difference, I didnt like the air shock – With the elka you can dial out any pedal bob and drop the forks to 125mm and it climbs pretty well.

Podge – the same frame in 853 would be 8) 8) 8) – I guess it just worked out too expensive for DMR to make. They arnt cheap even in 4130 steel (I managed to get this one second hand fortunately)

passtherizla
    Free Member

Just tag along to stile cop next weekend?

fongsaiyuk
    Free Member

bump on this – how are people getting on ( or not ) with these bikes ? – would like up to date opinions as feeling the urge to buy one.

fong

robbonzo
    Free Member

There is a review of the bolt long on the Ride it out website. My buddy also has one out in Morzine and loves it, it gets thrashed pretty hard and hes fitted 160mm forks. They are pretty tough bikes and can take alot of stick.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Does anybody have a DMR Bolt Long?’ is closed to new replies.