Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 211 total)
  • Does anybody actually believe crop circles are made by UFOs?
  • ron70
    Free Member

molgrips – Member 
    We’re not sheeple. You can’t just accuse us of that simply because we disagree with you.

We also do not think we know it all. We’re just saying we think that the current evidence for alien co tact is insufficient.

YOU ate, however, claiming to know a lot of things. So why can you know things and we can’t?

POSTED 7 HOURS AGO #

The only thing I’m claiming is that we are a very extremely primitive species,
    Thinking what you think is rational with a scientific explanation is all you know, and all we know, I’m not saying I believe in so called little green men making circles in the crops, but what makes you know so much more that there isn’t anything else it could be than that of a drunken student?
    It’s so much easier for people to slag someone off who dares say what he thinks it could be, then one by one all the sheeple follow what’s safe to follow. My great uncle used to work in the air force and tells me he’s seen a lot of crazy and bizarre things in the sky that he ‘ rationally ‘ couldn’t explain, ufo’s being some of them, he said a lot of pilots saw strange things but would they report them?… No, because, people can’t accept the unexplainable, he said it’s a lot safer to keep things to yourself, and this is why I respect people who aren’t afraid of being themselves and saying what they think rather than the sheeple that are on here that are ready to have a go at me now for saying this. 🙄

schnor
    Free Member

Cougar that’s just krasae talk! Bearing in mind my first pun was too subtle 🙁

I’ll get my (tin foil) coat.

[edit] I shall end with a rather apt quote: –

The fate of all explanation is to close one door only to have another fly wide open

GrahamS

I respect people who aren’t afraid of being themselves and saying what they think rather than the sheeple that are on here that are ready to have a go at me now for saying this.

So you respect people who say what they think… unless that contradicts what you think in which case they are sheeple “having a go”.

Genius. 😀

piemonster

Prove it, with comparative examples.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Aliens at work…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtkMrNrEMLM[/video]

Cougar

people can’t accept the unexplainable

Well, two things.

1) Plenty of people can’t accept that some things are unexplainable, and the absence of a rational explanation feel perfectly justified in making up any old shite and then demanding everyone else gives it equal consideration.

In the case of the current example of crop circles, for instance, they could be caused by aliens, freak weather, or beery farmers. I’m not disputing that. But should we give all three of these theories equal credence, are they all equally likely?

2) Some people can’t accept that the unexplainable should be attributed to supernatural forces when we’ve already got a perfectly valid, highly likely suggestion (to wit, someone admitting to it). Sure, it would be pig-headed not to explore other theories, but those theories need to have a bit more meat on the bone than “I really believe it quite a lot so I’m right”, otherwise we’re down to exploring the possibility that the phenomenon is caused by the mating ritual of wild Wombles.

Cougar

Cougar that’s just krasae talk!

Oh, very good. (-:

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

the mating ritual of wild Wombles

Got any videos of this??? 😆

piemonster

otherwise we’re down to exploring the possibility that the phenomenon is caused by the mating ritual of wild Wombles.

Wombles, their smaller than Badgers aren’t they?

Cougar

My great uncle used to work in the air force and tells me he’s seen a lot of crazy and bizarre things in the sky that he ‘ rationally ‘ couldn’t explain

I don’t doubt that. But critically, as I said in the previous post, just because he can’t explain them does not qualify him / someone else to make things up and present them as fact.

It’s entirely possible that he’s seen extra-terrestrial spacecraft. He may also have seen comets, weather balloons, other classified aircraft he wasn’t cleared to know about, or even had visual disturbances due to forces in the aeroplane affecting his brain. It’s also possible that he was telling tall tales in order to sound exciting. Are all of these scenarios equally likely?

If I were a pilot and ‘saw something’ I doubt I’d report it either. Not from a fear of the Men in Black or because people wouldn’t be able to handle the unknown, but because I expect that I’d almost certainly be grounded if it was suspected that I was seeing things.

Cougar

Got any videos of this???

Rule 34.

ron70
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member 
    I respect people who aren’t afraid of being themselves and saying what they think rather than the sheeple that are on here that are ready to have a go at me now for saying this.
    So you respect people who say what they think… unless that contradicts what you think in which case they are sheeple “having a go”.

Genius.

POSTED 40 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Oh dear, here we go 🙄

Cougar – Moderator 
    people can’t accept the unexplainable
    Well, two things.

1) Plenty of people can’t accept that some things are unexplainable, and the absence of a rational explanation feel perfectly justified in making up any old shite and then demanding everyone else gives it equal consideration.

In the case of the current example of crop circles, for instance, they could be caused by aliens, freak weather, or beery farmers. I’m not disputing that. But should we give all three of these theories equal credence, are they all equally likely?

2) Some people can’t accept that the unexplainable should be attributed to supernatural forces when we’ve already got a perfectly valid, highly likely suggestion (to wit, someone admitting to it). Sure, it would be pig-headed not to explore other theories, but those theories need to have a bit more meat on the bone than “I really believe it quite a lot so I’m right”, otherwise we’re down to exploring the possibility that the phenomenon is caused by the mating ritual of wild Wombles.

POSTED 27 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Cougar, he could have seen anything up there, yes, nobody knows for sure just as nobody knows for sure who did them crop circles, although rationally speaking it is so much easier to say drunk students.

marcus7
    Free Member

having been a student and often drunk I’m pretty sure that I couldn’t have made an accurate crop circle, however, quite often I had no recollection of the evenings events so it’s entirely possible that an alien could have made me do it via some kind of probe. this I feel satisfies both views and perhaps we can all agree that it’s the most probable method. having said that I was at Sheffield and I don’t recall any reports in the area at the time….

Cougar

rationally speaking it is so much easier to say drunk students.

It’s not that it’s easier to say it, it’s that it’s considerably more likely to be the case.

Do I need to type more slowly or something?

Cougar

And you know what? You’re wrong about it being easier too.

It’s not easier to attribute unknown phenomena to Earthly rather than fantastic explanations. It’s considerably more difficult. Providing demonstrably provable explanations which stand up to tests and scrutiny is comparably difficult; going “aliens did it” instead is a piece of piss.

See also, “god did it.”

CountZero

CitizenSmiff/dadoronron70, possibly concrete proof that keeping an open mind just means that others come along and fill it with rubbish.
    Or else kaesae has surfaced from whatever subterranean hideaway he’s been lurking in.

I do like a sense of purpose when I go pootling. Makes a change from seeking out ancient and buried monuments and chatting to grey wethers.

You do that too? I just worry that one day I’ll get an answer…

Grey Wethers, Fyfield Down. by CountZero1, on Flickr

Grey wethers, refusing to talk about who’s making the bloody crop circles!

piemonster

See also, “god did it.”

4200 religions and counting.

They cant all be right.

spchantler
    Free Member

Oh dear, here we go

i’m right and you’re wrong cos i’m the best. ron, can you not see how daft that was?

piemonster

*hatches plan to hide behind rocks on Fyfield Down to “talk” to mtbers

nealglover
    Free Member

Does that mean what you believe is more credible than what a former defence minister of a G8 country has witnessed and researched?

Basing my answer purely on what he believes.

Yes.

Compared to what exactly ???

Genuine question.

piemonster

Compared to what exactly ???

Compared to a species that travel vast intergalactic distances in order to burn the rectums out of cattle.

molgrips
    Free Member

We may be, yes, but there are certain incontrovertible things that we know that are always going to be the case regardless of what planet you are on. Atomic weight of helium is always going to be four. And building spaceships is always going to require advanced civilizations. And civilisations will always need certain things, etc.

I’m not saying that it’s not aliens btw, or that I know what it is. I just think that the alien explanation is extremely unlikely.

aracer
    Free Member

or

?

Unless it’s three – and it’s certainly possible there are planets where that is more abundant than 4. I’ll accept that it’s reasonable to ignore the other isotopes with half-lives <1s. 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

You know what I meant smartarse 🙂

CountZero

piemonster – Member
    *hatches plan to hide behind rocks on Fyfield Down to “talk” to mtbers

😆
    Lots of rocks to choose from.

wiggles
    Free Member

I know i’m the 3rd person to ask this, but no answer yet so I will go again…

Compared to what exactly? the human brain is regarded as the most complex structure in the known universe, we understand comparatively more about black holes and galaxies than our own brains…. So how are we so primitive?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I am quite prepared to accept / believe that there is intelligent life out there somewhere, afterall the universe is just soooo huge, that it’s bound to support life of some sort somewhere.

As to whether they have visited us, I’m yet to be convinced. I’m happy to be convinced if someone can actually produce some compelling evidence to prove it. This evidence would need to be convincing though, not just something that someone has written because that’s what they think / believe has happened. As has been said already in this post, it’s all very well someone saying ‘prove it wasn’t aliens that made crop circles’, but that’s a piss easy thing to say when you can’t prove it was aliens either.

What we do know is that at least some crop circles are made by humans for reasons of entertainmemnt, probably pretty much all of them are as far as I can work out. Hell, even advertisers have engaged the services of such people on occasion.

As for saying we should believe because such & such a person ssays we should, because they used to be a politician or something, well that’s just silly. David Icke used to be a well respoected sports commentator, but he’s got some pretty extreme views now and doesn’t command the respect he once did. As for trusting an ex politician??? I think we know that politicians can’t always be trusted.

Anyway, show us some proper evidence of aliens making crop circles please

piemonster

There was a crop circle maker on More4 talking to Tony Robinson last night, he was a bit funny looking. But I put it down to him having had a beer.

Apparently his best effort was a thatched design.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

My great uncle used to work in the air force and tells me he’s seen a lot of crazy and bizarre things in the sky that he ‘ rationally ‘ couldn’t explain, ufo’s being some of them

my dad used to be an astronaut and saw UFOs, they must be true

my brother was a chef in the RAF and saw a UFO once, so they must be true

my mate used to work in a boy band and started seeing UFOs*, so they must be true

this has a name – ‘appeal to authority’ fallacy.

incidentally, funny how you never hear that military pilot story repeated about commercial pilots, or balloonists.

* ok, so I’m not mates with robbie williams, but he did start seeing UFOs, nothing to do with the massive cocaine habit you understand

molgrips
    Free Member

incidentally, funny how you never hear that military pilot story repeated about commercial pilots

Actually you do, there are a few famous incidents in UFO lore. Only flaw in an otherwise excellent post 🙂

beej

Remember that crop circle made in California a few days ago?
    Well it seems its message is readable, it was just written in braille! And it seems to say ‘192’ a lot.
    Obviously the aliens lamenting the privatisation of the old direct enquiries are also cycling fans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVDrjAFibHI

http://www.ufosightingsdaily.com/2014/01/update-on-crop-circle-in-salinas.html

Have a good weekend y’all

Now revealed to be a marketing stunt for the new Nvidia processor, which has 192 cores.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/06/nvidia_uncloaks_tegra_k1_graphics_monster_for_mobile_and_automotive/

http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/05/nvidia-crop-circle/

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Actually you do, there are a few famous incidents in UFO lore.

Self inflicted fail! Dammit!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I know 4 airline pilots, 2 work for Virgin and the other two random “other” airlines.
    So sitting sipping beers on the Club decking a couple of years ago in summer when all 4 were together, I got the conversaton going..”so UFO’s, seen any?”

3 of the 4 said Yes.
    2 reported it.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

So – they’ve seen Unidentified Flying Objects. This does not imply aliens.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Absolutely, interestingly the 2 that didn’t report what they saw were told not to by the Airlines they worked for.

I have watched masses of stuff and read soo many books on this topic that I’m a bit blase’ about whether there are or there are not now aliens, shame really cos’ if you’d asked me 10 years ago I’da said an emphatic Yes to the existance, now I believe aliens are either here already or like us haven’t developed travel fast or efficient enough for them to come here.. or they are here and just messing with our minds.

Fun though, while it lasts 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

So… secret military aircraft is the most plausible possibility for the airline pilot UFOs?

After all we have concrete proof of governments keeping very high performance aircraft top secret in the past.

Cougar

interestingly the 2 that didn’t report what they saw were told not to by the Airlines they worked for.

As I said before; do you really want to tell your boss you think you’re seeing things when your job is “airline pilot”?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

secret military aircraft

Which, in and of itself, is pretty damn implausible in this day and age.

molgrips
    Free Member

You mean – that the military could keep aircraft a secret, without anyone seeing them?

Except they are being seen by someone, or at least evidence is.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 211 total)

The topic ‘Does anybody actually believe crop circles are made by UFOs?’ is closed to new replies.