Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Dodgy wiring
  • muddyjames

I had the consumer unit in my ground floor flat replaced. The spark tells me that the 10 or so cables running in my cupboard inside my flat that are clipped to the wall but otherwise exposed are actually for the flat above.

It’s a converted house so somebody bodged it at some point I assume.

This doesn’t seem great but equally not sure there’s much can be done?

nickjb

You could add a couple of sockets and get some free electricity 🙂

I doubt there is much you can do without it being a complicated legal matter. There might be some merit in writing to the flat owner to say you are aware of it and give permission for it. That might help if there is any future claim for some kind of prescriptive rights.

Onzadog

Are you saying these cables for the flat above are supplied from your consumer unit?

Do you know where the meter is for the other flat? Do you know where their consumer unit is?

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

That would be my concern onzadog.

Premier Icon phil5556
    Subscriber

Switch your power off and see if anyone from upstairs complains?

drnosh

Converted house…..1 meter, 2 consumer units?

Suspicious.

Premier Icon stumpyjon
    Subscriber

Not enough info for outrage / advice. Do they run from your consumer unit, do have the lease hold for your flat or renting etc.

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

The question really is where the meter and consumer unit are for the flat above?  It may be that the cables run through your cupboard because the meter and comsumer unit are downstairs  somewhere rather than in the upstairs flat – you’d want to place that consumer unit and meter at a point before all those cables diverge. As a house before conversion all the upstairs circuits would have originated from the ground floor so it was probably more sensible / economical to place the consumer unit for that flat downstairs.

When I lived in an upper floor conversion our meter and fusebox (old school) were in the shared entrance hall downstairs. Handy for when my constantly angry Peruvian downstairs neighbour would get in from his restaurant job at 1am and relax for a few hours by listening to Jeff Wayne’s War of the Worlds at full bung for a few hours. I could take all his fuses out and let him have them back again in the morning 🙂

muddyjames

The meter and consumer unit for The upstairs flat are in the Shared entrance hall in an under stairs cupboard.

The spark said the cables weren’t being supplied from my consumer unit.

brownsauce

So , a property converted to 2 flats , shared off a single incoming supply , sharing a communal electric cupboard , with seperate consumer units for both flats ?

a conventional wiring set up i’ve seen a hundred times.

why is it a problem that the cables for the upstairs flat are visible in the electric cupboard ?

it may be positioned on the floor you live on but is not excusively your property and will have shared access rights

There is no problem.

Ask the spark for the inspection defect code  and regulation number breach he would give for this supposed “danger” , if he cant he’s full of shit.

Onzadog

The alternative is that the flat upstairs gets a service alteration from the local dno at a not insignificant cost and you then have a thick black plastic cable running up the outside of the house with some capping over it. That will either involve some digging outside or a hole in your wall as the service cable will loop out if your cutout.

It doesn’t sound like the current set up is a problem. Spark was most likely just telling you for interests sake but possibly didn’t explain it clearly enough.

Premier Icon spooky_b329
    Subscriber

‘otherwise exposed’ Is he implying that as they are for another resident, perhaps they should be enclosed in conduit for protection and marked as live/not isolated via your consumer unit? Which presumably could be done for a fiver…

Subscriber

The meter and consumer unit for The upstairs flat are in the Shared entrance hall in an under stairs cupboard.

The spark said the cables weren’t being supplied from my consumer unit.

so whats the issue?

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

The issue, one would assume, is that the OP doesn’t understand what’s going on and whether or not this is normal or not so is asking the question.

Man, this can be a tough crowd sometimes.

Subscriber

Man, this can be a tough crowd sometimes.

im just trying to grasp why the electrician drew the OP’s attention to them. What issue did electrician suggest the cables caused?

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

I guess the main one is unless they’re clearing marked as on a different consumer unit or in a different conduit there’s always a risk that someone works on them in future assuming they’re isolated as they’ve switched off your consumer unit. They then get a very big bang when they cut through a live 32A ring main with some side cutters (I know it’s big, I’ve done it and it wrecks the pliers).

muddyjames

Thanks all. To try and explain more clearly. There are two cupboards. One in communal area. That has upstairs meter and consumer unit. It also has my meter.

Then in a cupboard in my flat there is my consumer unit. Also in the cupboard in my flat are a load of wires pinned to the wall that aren’t connected to my consumer unit. They’re live so must go to the upstairs.

Aside from the obvious upset can I Ask him to remove them ?

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

im just trying to grasp why the electrician drew the OP’s attention to them. What issue did electrician suggest the cables caused?

Could’ve been mentioned in passing?

Aside from the obvious upset can I Ask him to remove them ?

Of course you can. You can also ask him to buy you a Porsche. (-:

Is it a rental property or do you own it?

muddyjames

I’m not sure why he flagged it. He didn’t think it was good practice. I think he thought that if they’re damaged then my consumer unit doesn’t control them. I’ll ask him to clarify.

I own it.

Put another way if the cables get damaged am I under any obligation to permit access. I don’t think it’s covered in the leaseHold agreement. The owner occupier upstairs is a nasty piece of work so whilst not going out of my way to be an £@“@ it May be good to have some leverage as he never pays for joint repairs.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.