Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Dodgy eye still?!
  • alexxx
    Free Member

Short question… given my left eye perscription below am I expecting too much for my vision to be sharp and easy to follow lines of text / concentrate when wearing glasses?

Left eye: -0.75 1.00 40 32.50 (right is 20/20).

Long version..
    Hoping to catch someone who’s had similar – I’m booked in at the docs but not home for another 3-4 weeks… so just writing my thoughts out in the hope that someone may still have had similar:

My eyes still bugging me – I noticed my left eye was really out of focus a few months back on holiday when I had to work on my laptop and could barely concentrate. (normally use a monitor).

Since then I’ve seen 3 opticians and 1 of them was a doctor referral who does a few more checks than a regular eye check up…

Conclusion was that my left eye has probably gradually got worse since my last eye test (3 years ago) and that its within the range of what could deteriorate in that time.. or at least deemed normal.

My left eye is :
    -0.75 1.00 40 32.50

Right is :
    -0.25 0.25 5 33.00

My right eye feels great – I can focus well on words and sentences and my left is a lot better when wearing glasses but even though the words are more defined I still struggle to keep focus on them and keeping a line and concentrating is hard.

Left eye feels similar to this without glasses:

Like I say its sharper with glasses but concentration is still a struggle.

I’ve noticed myself going a bit cross eyed at times (like you sometimes do when really sleepy and dazing off) and having to shake myself to refocus.

It feels like its more fuzzy sometimes than others

My eyes never hurt before even in the slightest and since getting glasses it feels like I have eye strain in the back of my weak eye occasionally

I feel that both my eyes really take a while to focus back after having one closed (1 minute until text is sharp again in my right eye).

Sorry for the ramble..

outofbreath
    Free Member

fossy

Age, how new are the glasses ?

They do sometimes get prescriptions wrong and that will mess things up.

slowoldman

That’s a very modest prescription, I’m surprised you have problems. I would think good optician rather than doctor though.

empirical
    Free Member

How old are you?

I’m an ophthalmologist. I treat eye conditions with medicine or surgery. I’m not an optician but I need to understand refraction for my job.

Your left eye is going to be blurry without glasses due to the astigmatism (1.00 dioptres), even though your prescription isn’t that strong. Overall you are slightly long sighted in your left eye. This means reading will also be blurry probably from around age 35. If you’re older than that it will still be blurry with those glasses (which are for distance vision). You may need time to adapt to new glasses in the first instance.

empirical
    Free Member

Sorry, you are very slightly short-sighted in your left eye. It could still be that you are starting to need reading glasses or that you just need time to adapt.
    If it’s no better in a month or two ask for a referral to an ophthalmologist.
    It would be good to know your visual acuity with the glasses.
    Thanks

T666DOM

Could be any number of things. Power of the lenses is one thing, but are you sure the glasses have been correctly made up to that prescription. The centres of the lenses may be wrong or if your eyes aren’t balanced , ie not looking at the same point through each lens. you may need a little prism to balance things up better and make things more comfortable.

If you’ve got a lazy (amblyopic) eye then the vision may never be as good as your good eye. You’d need to know how good your vision was before the recent change and if there’s a potential medical cause for the drop in acuity.

You need a decent eyetest from an optom who can spend plenty of time with you after discussing your symptoms, preferably one who had access to an OCT scanner to have a more comprehensive look at your eyes.

Could always just be ‘wear and tear’ you might just need to wear your glasses more!!!

jkomo

Pointless going to docs.
    Get an eye test.

alexxx
    Free Member

Hey thanks for the replies.

I’m 32, I would say reading text is “very” blurry ie 8/10 of a struggle to read text on this forum on a 24″ monitor sat at a normal distance. It’s better with the glasses but not great, like I say out of my left eye I can read the text on this page much clearer but its still very hard to concentrate on.. I’ll go to another opticians when I get back for another opinion in whats been done with these glasses.

For the numbers in my left eye I’m surprised how bad it is basically, the optician did say it was due to the axis that makes short and long sighted affected at the same time… but basically everything is blurry its just reallly noticeable on text

Bloody eyes 🙁

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Dodgy eye still?!’ is closed to new replies.