Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Dodgy deal for giant defy on edinburgh gumtree?
  • steeble
    Free Member

Ok, so it might be a genuine advert but the spelling mistakes and very low price for what looks like a defy 0 makes me suspicious. Anynone missing one?
    http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/giant-road-bike/1029594198#photo-content

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Just emailed – will try to game the seller into giving the frame number….

I’m not particularly good at this though 🙁

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

OK so the seller has responded and somehow managed to give their own email address, defeating gumtrees obfuscation.

Hi.
    What’s the reason for the sale? That looks like a nice bike, is it damaged? What size are the tyres, and what pressure do you run them at, I’m trying to decide if I should get a racing bike or if it’s too bumpy. How far did you ride to college, did it take long?

Thanks for your help.
    Sam”

“Ho reason for sale is a bought it and it not really me plus I have just passed my cbt so lookin for money for a moped they are 700c wheels with new tyres don’t no wot there at tho ? There is a few scrapes on the frame from gear wires an that from were a locked it up and the gear wire need tightend up but I will try get this done b4 it goes hopefully or can arrange money of ”

And I uset to cycle 40 mins there and back to collage 3 days a week if you need anymore info please ask an ill help you as much as possible thanks “

Verbatim. Also – who the heck starts an email with Ho?

What do next?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    steeble
    Free Member

tricky one, I assume the scrapes are from when the lock was cut off

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Looks like that one was sold in Cambridge on August 21st. Or he’s nicked the photo. Or the ebay guy nicked this guys photo.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Giant-Defy-0-M-L-/321183895728?nma=true&si=JrZE11FFT3xrdmqGtfTGLqCOc%252BI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Thing is it was listed at £420 on Gumtree last week in Edinburgh so maybe he’s just dropped the price.

bruneep

collage 😆

be genuine student then

WTF
    Free Member

It`s a known fact that all bike thieves cannot spell.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Bump for smart ideas, or just ask for the frame number and check if it’s online as stole’d? If it is, then my next move there would be to inform the Polis? There’s no point emailing the previous ebay guy is there?

I just found an iPhone 5 and returned it to it’s owner, so I’m feeling hopeful we can help if this is nicked!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

@WTF The photo has been flipped and the writing is not very, umm, collage? Just feels odd.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I don’t think the photo has been flipped. There are two pictures. The front wheel is in a different place.

geoffj

Assuming the eBay sale was genuine, how is the Gumtree ad going to end in a scam?

dazzlingboy

Weird. Flick through the ebay pics – the gumtree pics were definitely ripped off from here. Strange. Doesn’t feel right at all.

scotroutes

FWIW, the url of the Gumtree pics …..

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MzM1WDUwMA==/$T2eC16h,!)!E9s2fDwz(BSFpfi)SMg~~48_80.JPG

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Oops, you’re right – there’s two photos on gumtree.

Seeing as I’m clearly dense; should I just leave them alone?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

OK _ I’ll ask for some more photos of the bike then and see what comes back. I’ll keep using the gumtree contact and clean the message so they don’t know I have the real email address.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Dodgy deal for giant defy on edinburgh gumtree?’ is closed to new replies.