Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Doddie Weir: RIP
  • frankconway

He lived for 6(?) years with MND during which time his foundation raised millions for research into the disease which was slowly and inexorably killing him.
    RIP big man.

argee

Sad to see, remember him back in the day, MND is a horrific illness, same thing happened with Jimmy Johnstone, watching great sportsmen being brought down by that is not nice, it’s one of those diseases you really wish would be eradicated.

desperatebicycle

David Flatman’s words were terrific on the commentary. I know I wouldn’t react so well as Doddie to such an awful thing. Legend in sport, legend in life. RIP Doddie.

tjagain

In the words of Bill McLaren – “Like a mad giraffe”. Thats how I will remember him.

Its sadness tinged with relief for me. It was devastating to see Doddie so disabled and near the end at the NZ game but a big smile on his face and what a sendoff he got from the crowd

higthepig
    Free Member

This is a sad day, RIP Doddie and condolences to your family and friends, a legend of the game and taken too early by **** crappy MND, the legacy will live on.
    (From a staunch Englishman)

Kryton57

I can’t say it better or more accurately than TJ. I grew up watching Doddie in the 5N, RIP.

ton

i remember watching him making his debut for scotland. a great workhorse of a player.
    so so sad.

tjagain

higthepig

I think he was one of those players liked and respected by friend and foe alike

fazzini

RIP Doddie.

higthepig
    Free Member

I think he was one of those players liked and respected by friend and foe alike

Absolutely, played hard, played fair, just like rugby should be played, a fierce adversary on the field, a complete gentleman off it.

ads678

Sad news. RIP Doddie.

mashr

Was lucky enough to meet him many moons ago at a Scotland Youth Squad (or whatever it was called) event at Murrayfield. Always seemed like a really nice guy. RIP Doddie

Bear
    Free Member

A truly sad day. Puts rugby and sport into perspective, a giant of a man I hope he leaves a gigantic legacy.

BigM
    Free Member

Truly gutted, played the same position as him, same age, once played against him. Has was a hard player. True character and real gent

Fought hard to the end. RIP Doddie.

duckman

Such a shame, cracking player and an even better human being.

convert

Gutted. As already said, he was an even better human being than he was a Rugby player.

He delivered and installed the septic tank in the house I now live in just after he retired from rugby. My folks lived here then and were spellbound by this affable giant. There’s a photo of him stood on the top of it as it was craned into the hole. Thought about him and his life as I sat on the throne earlier, a tribute of which I’m sure he’d have approved!

The bravery and positivity he’s shown in later years is an inspiration.

Philby

Fond memories of how Bill McClaren used to say Doddie Weir during his commentaries. RIP Big Man.

tjagain

I had a look around youtube to see if any Doddie tributes had been done and found this from the lions tour which made me laugh ( If it works on here)

cheese@4p

RIP a very great man. A true hero, along with Rob Burrow and Kevin Sinfield and all who have raised so much money and awareness, thank you.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.