Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Doctors warned about ‘dry scooping’ fitness fad
  • slowoldman

I wasn’t sure I wanted to click on this it sounded a bit unsavoury. It was.

maccruiskeen

Is this about chugging Angel Delight straight out of the packet?

never didn’t do me any harm

slowoldman

It’s similar.

beej

Never have I ever looked at Nesquik powder and thought “that’ll be much nicer dry than mixing it into a drink”

martinhutch

Why? Just why?

Houns

I hope it has the same effect as dry scooping cinnamon

mashr

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

davros

🤣

cubist
    Free Member

Out of interest does a (properly mixed) pre-workout help in the gym? What about on a pre food ride around the trails?

If you’ve used them does the caffeine keep you up half the night?

Anyway if you were really trying to maximise the gains surely a monster line would hit the spot fastest!

thols2

A scoop of powder might pack as much caffeine as five cups of coffee, say the researchers from the Cohen Children’s Medical Center in New York.

This jolt can cause “an increase in blood pressure and heart rate, potentially leading to disturbances in heart rhythm”.

And accidentally inhaling the powder into the lungs could cause choking or an infection or pneumonia, say the researchers.

I’m convinced. If I’m going to inhale drugs, I will avoid fitness supplements.

finbar
    Free Member

That article doesn’t tell me why people are thinking eating it is better than making it into a drink – anyone found a better source?

kayla1
    Free Member

Jebus **** wept 🤦‍♀️ People are stupid, aren’t they?

DrP

I too can’t really see any benefit in taking it as a powder, rather than simply drinking it.
    Most will get stuck in your teeth.

The only appeal, at all, is that it’s a way for idiots to be more idiotic. Which I guess is their life goalzzzz (bro…)

DrP

finbar
    Free Member

The only appeal, at all, is that it’s a way for idiots to be more idiotic.

Yeah, that’s probably enough 😀

Coyote
    Free Member

Out of interest does a (properly mixed) pre-workout help in the gym?

It can, but it is quite inconsistent. I sometimes take it for weight sessions and largely find it helps but again not consistently. I have tried it pre-running, but I find the effect to be minimal. So, in answer to the cycling question, I would say not. It tends to be quite a quick release, short effect thing.

BillOddie

Out of interest does a (properly mixed) pre-workout help in the gym? What about on a pre food ride around the trails?

My experience for early morning workouts, that absolutely they help in the gym mainly due to the huge amiunt of caffeine, would a coffee also help? Also – yes.

poly
    Free Member

That article doesn’t tell me why people are thinking eating it is better than making it into a drink – anyone found a better source?

I can’t ever recall doing exercise and thinking, “gosh, I’m just too hydrated, I wish I could have had some nutrition without that inconvenient water stuff”….

woody2000

For a similar effect pre-ride, try eating a peanut crunch clif bar.  Very dry, most of it will stick in your teeth. 😄

Follow it up with a spoon of instant coffee for good measure!

desperatebicycle

Stupid is as stupid does.
    That cinnamon woman, I thought she was gonna eat a teaspoonful. A ladle. Could you actually eat
    a ladle of any powdered substance?

plus-one

Mind those fruit shaped plastic sherbet things off the 80’s !! Strawberry/banana lemon sherbet etc !! Kept me fit 👌🏻

Poopscoop

This is what you get when people “do their own research.”

shermer75
    Free Member

Why have they warned the doctors?

Poopscoop

shermer75
    Free Member

Guessing so they are aware of this new fad to recognise the symptoms/ advise people it’s a terrible idea.

See glue sniffing back in the day.

Edukator
    Free Member

Conventional wisdom is to eat light in the three hours before exercise and nothing in the last half hour. You don’t want insulin spikes, oscillating blood sugar levels or to have your stomach working too hard. You can stock more than enough glycogen in your liver and muscles for a work out.

dannyh
    Free Member

Better a dry scoop than a dry root as an aussie might say.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

We live in a world where stupidity, ignorance and mediocracy are celebrated. Nothing surprises me about this story. Beyond me why people would choose to eat powdered food even when diluted with water, or nut milk or unicorn sperm or whatever the latest magical elixir of life is. It’s just depressing. Let’s just leave them to it and let Darwinism consume them. Hopefully one of the side effects of eating this powder dry is infertility.

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

Protein powders and fitness supplements are snake-oil BS IMHO.

Protein supplements may work if you’re trying to look like Dorian Yates (and taking that much gear) but are an expensive waste of time for the average gym user. Protein isn’t something we’re really short on with most diets.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Protein powders are just that…protein. Which is available in a wide range of real food. Each to their own but if you eat 100g of protein from powder or 100g of protein form fish or pulses its still 100g of protein. Same a 100kg of feathers weighs the same as 100kg of lead.

Speeder

This is one of those “let them learn by their mistakes” things isn’t it because you can’t TELL people not to do something so obviously stupid because it infers that they are stupid and that will simply embolden them to prove you wrong. At least this can only hurt themselves . . . . . . *

* Trying hard not to mention Brexit

bensales
    Free Member

Pre-workouts and protein powders are very different things for different purposes.

A pre workout is basically a massive stimulant. Which, when your workout involves lifting up really really heavy things, is a marked benefit.

I just use a triple espresso, mind. Because I’m cheap.

Twodogs

When I did the Cardiff Marathon years ago the goody bag included some Welsh Cakes. Trying to eat them when you’re dehydrated…probably a similar experience

maccruiskeen

its always worth reminding yourself that Doctors all used to be those paragons of clean living and self discipline …. Medical Students

big_n_daft
    Free Member

its always worth reminding yourself that Doctors all used to be those paragons of clean living and self discipline …. Medical Students

This, and

This is what you get when people “do their own research.”

This

johnx2
    Free Member

Excellent. I finally understand that Neil Young song.

CountZero

Jebus **** wept 🤦‍♀️ People are stupid, aren’t they?

I have no argument with that statement. It’s an observation I’ve made many, many times over the years.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

We had guy come into the covid test centre today bit concerned as he’d had a positive later flow test. We did the PCR and he kept going on bout all his tests being positive until today. We finished Nd kept talking on and then he said he was extrazurprised as he’d had his vaccine booster shot only 2 days ago…

thols2

People are stupid, aren’t they?

Yep. A couple of mates of mine saw this on YouTube and decided they wanted to try it. (The dairy challenge generally involves frat boys drinking a gallon of milk in 60 minutes without puking, home defense stuff is only for pros). They were really disappointed when they couldn’t persuade anyone else to join them, they finally chickened out after nobody else signed up.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Doctors warned about ‘dry scooping’ fitness fad’ is closed to new replies.