Viewing 40 posts - 1,481 through 1,520 (of 1,735 total)
  • doctors on strike
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

@docrobster this was my original point, we need a grown up debate which sadly imo we cannot have, the politics on both sides mean it’s not possible. Labour campaigned at GE 2015 on a £2bn budget increase and “we’ll save the nhs” Tories campaigned on £8bn and the left say they are killing the nhs. Its my view we need much much more money to be spent on health, the problem this means much more in taxes on everyone which doesn’t fit either Labour (tax the rich, ie someone else) or Conservatives (tax same or less)

It’s a mess and only getting worse.

footflaps

and the Tories continue to win elections.

Well, they’ve won one in the last 20 years…

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Makes you think, eh?

Yeah, makes me think “in spite of, not because of what the Tories have done”.

[Quote]”…no more top-down reorganisations of the NHS…” (Andrew Lansley, Conservative Party press release, 11 July 2007).[/quote]

Not long (relatively) before bringing about the biggest top-down restructure of the NHS it has ever seen. Costing billions, causing a duplication of many services rather than rationalisation and leaving the NHS in a far worst state. With the funding largely controlled by private contractors through CCGs, who often have the least knowledge on how to use it effectively or have ulterior motives that decide budget allocation.

Never trust a Tory.

Drac

Conservatives (tax same or less)

For the rich. The poor get taxed more.

jet26
    Free Member

There is an increasing voice from a wide variety of sectors that NHS funding is way too little and it needs a sensible conversation about how to improve this – tax more or spend less on other stuff.

Pay for healthcare staff – tricky one – you need engaged staff who feel valued and cared about if you want to deliver first class healthcare – robots can’t deliver healthcare. The pay issue would be much less of an issue if good will hadn’t been almost eroded and there weren’t so many gaps in service – my other half is one of 2 people on a 9 person rota – i.e. there are 7 vacant slots. Try delivering efficiency and high quality when you are missing over 75% of your staff….

There is an increasing drive to reduce variation and introduce more standardised patterns of working, but much of medicine is still opinion and lacks solid evidence so this will always be difficult, although there are some big gains to make – e.g. use of implants like hip replacements.

dragon
    Free Member

needs a sensible conversation about how to improve this – tax more or spend less on other stuff.

The problem with tax is that there isn’t much headroom for tax increases, the UK as a % of GDP typically sits about where it is now ~36% and we normally spend ~40% of GDP.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

The pay issue would be much less of an issue if good will hadn’t been almost eroded and there weren’t so many gaps in service – my other half is one of 2 people on a 9 person rota – i.e. there are 7 vacant slots. Try delivering efficiency and high quality when you are missing over 75% of your staff….

Very much this.

I work on a 52 bed Acute Medical Unit (Emergency Admissions for those who don’t speak NHS!) which has a mix of Level 1 and 2 beds (42/10 split) split across two wards, within a large trust who have an Emergency Department that is one of the busiest in Europe for its size/design capacity.

In order to cope with an ED struggling to deal with a lack of capacity much of the pressure is put upon us AMU staff to “increase throughput” but, such is the pressure put upon staff within the department, we are hugely understaffed (most shifts see an agency/trust Band 5 split of 4/5). Even the decent agency nurses are now turning their noses up at working in the department due to caps on their pay. To counter this the trust have had (and extended since before Christmas) overtime bonus payments of £50 per shift to trust-employed nurses, even this is not enough, it’s a taxed payment and few can see the point of doing extra shifts for such little compensation.

So where does this leave us? Well we rarely have full staffing, with the nurses who are supposed to be coordinating the individual wards (whose purpose is to help with throughput and thus increase bed availability for ED admissions) often pulled to work a bay instead. This then leaves the bed managers/duty managers the ones trying to sort out which patients are suitable to move to base wards/discharge home, but as there is no need for such managers to have a nursing/medical background it often leads to conflict/frustration with the Band 5 nurses looking after said patients who are ultimately responsible for their care.

We are an area which, if we were better looked after (correct staffing levels for starters), would hugely assist the ability of the trust and ED Department to meet their targets and thus reduce the fines the trust often gets for failing, yet we are treated poorly, are regularly used as the blame hound with regards to backlogs caused by high demand and consequently staff morale is often incredibly low.

To end, it’s not about money (largely), it’s about treating staff better. When the message from the top is “the NHS needs to start working seven days a week” (hey Mr Hunt, we already do) and the Right Wing press is banging on about how bad we all are at our jobs it’s hard not to think “why bother” and go elsewhere.

Those who think privatisation is the answer, where do you think you’ll get the personnel to staff such an organisation? If people are going to be forced to work in a privatised organisation then why stay in the UK, where (if current per capita spending were worked to) they’d have to take a pay cut in order to fit in the private sector’s profit margin?

Must apologise though, given this has turned into a bit of a rant. Overall I love working for the NHS and love my job, you never know what you’re going to see next and the staff are very close knit and, despite the demands placed upon us, we try to keep our heads held high. It can be very difficult to stay positive though.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

mefty – Member

I think that it i pretty obvious what someone is going to say if they have written a book entitled

Market Driven Politics: Neoliberal Democracy and the Public Interest

And I mefty, think it’s pretty obvious what someone like our present Health Secretary, Jeremy Hunt, who is responsible for a policy book in which it states, quote :

“Our ambition should be to break down the barriers between private and public provision, in effect denationalising the provision of health care in Britain.”[/b]

wants to do with healthcare in our country.

docrobster – Member

What really annoys me is that the government does not have the guts to say publicly what it is doing and therefore be judged on it at the polling station next time around.

But it’s clearly printed in black and white!

And the Health and Social Care Act 2012 couldn’t have made it any clearer that the Tory goal is the dismantling of the NHS in England.

Unfortunately the electorate seems remarkably uninterested in what the Tories are saying and doing. But don’t blame Tory politicians for that.

dragon
    Free Member

If people are going to be forced to work in a privatised organisation then why stay in the UK, where (if current per capita spending were worked to) they’d have to take a pay cut in order to fit in the private sector’s profit margin?

I bet you in the private sector you’d get a pay increase due to market forces and there no longer being a monopoly that can hold wages down (i.e. the NHS).

At a fundamental level for an employee working in the private sector it is no better or worse than in the public, most of what makes work good or bad, is your manager, team etc. and there are great people in both and tossers in both.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well if the profit doesn’t come from cutting wages then it will have to come from increased pricing. The profit has to come from somewhere.

Which I guess is why healthcare provisions based on the private sector offer far less value for money than healthcare provisions based on the public sector – an excellent example of poor value for money is of course the United States.

If public sector healthcare provisions are unaffordable then private sector healthcare provisions are even less affordable – so obviously not the solution.

mefty
    Free Member

Well if the profit doesn’t come from cutting wages then it will have to come from increased pricing

Or increased efficiency

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Or less provisions.

mefty
    Free Member

Or through exporting expertise

Drac

Or poorer working conditions

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

BTW mefty this doesn’t exactly inspire confidence that private health care providers are shinning examples of efficiency

mefty
    Free Member

There is a difference between private health providers and people who provide medical services, there is no proposal to change the system where healthcare is free at the point of use. But other the US, which is mad, I am not sure that graph proves a great deal.

docrobster
    Free Member

It shows that the us has got it badly wrong.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well I guess you think the graph doesn’t prove a great deal because it doesn’t quite fit into the Tory agenda.

However most people accept that the US relies heavily on private healthcare providers, much more so than other comparable countries. Most people also accept than the US devotes far more of its GDP on healthcare than any other country.

As I suggested, the example of the US doesn’t exactly inspire confidence that private health care providers are shinning examples of efficiency.

Even the Washington Post reports that “despite healthcare spending levels that are significantly higher than any other country in the world” a baby born in the U.S. is less likely to see his first birthday than one born in Cuba.

ninfan
    Free Member

There is an increasing voice from a wide variety of sectors that NHS funding is way too little and it needs a sensible conversation about how to improve this – tax more or spend less on other stuff.

The problem there is that the model of NHS healthcare funding is predicated on the fallacy of demand as a constant rather than human nature resulting in it inevitably growing to outstrip demand.

It doesn’t matter how much more you pour into the NHS – every time you add more money, the system will grow to do new things – keeping people alive longer, using up more resources, the continuing medicalisation of the human condition.

What *exactly* is the role of the NHS – if fifty years ago you had suggested that fertility or gender identity were responsibilities of the state (and thus the the taxpayer should fund treatment for) you would have been laughed at, where should it stop? Impotence, male pattern baldness? paedophilia? are they all medical issues that the NHS should treat as well?

docrobster
    Free Member

Yes we need to address demand.
    But why do we have treatments available for make pattern baldness etc, this constant medicalisation of normal life?
    Profit motive.
    Whether it is the state paying, or individuals either directly or through insurance, the constant need for profit drives the supply which feeds into demand.
    Toomuchmedicine

chewkw
    Free Member

Are they still on strike? Crikey.

noteeth
    Free Member

correct staffing levels for starters

Well said, sootyandjim. Excellent post.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Good question Chewwy. Have you tried googling?

chewkw
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    Good question Chewwy. Have you tried googling?

I have given up on googling the outcome … too long winded.

julianwilson
    Free Member

where should it stop? Impotence, male pattern baldness? paedophilia? are they all medical issues that the NHS should treat as well?

Nhs already treats impotence and has done since long long before sildenafil. Public funding (rarely delivered under nhs budgets) also attempts to manage the risk of paedophiles through psychological interventions. If you want to call that ‘treatment’ you can but both are very much already resposibilities of the state and very much taxpayer funded.

Perhaps you would care to say whether you think these conditions are worthy of state/taxpayer funding or not and why? Male pattern baldness the only one i would question at all, dependent on age and impact on functioning and ability to contribute to socisety and as a taxpayer.

mefty
    Free Member

Well I guess you think the graph doesn’t prove a great deal because it doesn’t quite fit into the Tory agenda.

No because that graph shows how the health spending is funded – if the Tories privatized every hospital, out patient clinic etc etc that graph would not change as the state would still be paying for the healthcare not an insurance company. It therefore has absolutely no relevance when you are talking about provision of medical services to the NHS.

ninfan
    Free Member

But why do we have treatments available for make pattern baldness etc, this constant medicalisation of normal life?
    Profit motive.
    Whether it is the state paying, or individuals either directly or through insurance, the constant need for profit drives the supply which feeds into demand.

The first known written treatment for baldness is from 1553 BC – a thousand years later, Hippocrates was obsessed with treating it.

It think its difficult to blame it on Big Pharma

julianwilson
    Free Member

^^that’s a funny but ultimately ill-informed comment.

Where do you stand on adhd and methylphenidate?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

if the Tories privatized every hospital, out patient clinic etc etc that graph would not change

That’s your opinion, apparently.

However if “the Tories privatized every hospital, out patient clinic etc” then you would indeed expect the graph to change.

Or are really suggested that healthcare spending in the UK would not increase in GNP percentage terms if it was all in the hands of profiteers?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

chewkw – Member

So you’re not actually interested.

Just fancied trashing another thread?

chewkw
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

chewkw – Member

So you’re not actually interested.

Just fancied trashing another thread? [/quote]

I am interested but can’t be arsed to find out more because the argument is always the same, hence I just want to know the final outcome?

No, not trying to trash thread and you are giving me too much credit there. Imagine if I can trash a thread then what does that make you lot?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

you are giving me too much credit there.

Believe me I’m not.

You came along and made one of your usual pointless and inane comments. I know it’s about as much as you can manage.

chewkw
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

you are giving me too much credit there.

Believe me I’m not.

You came along and made one of your usual pointless and inane comments. I know it’s about as much as you can manage. [/quote]

Okay, since you think that I made pointless comments I shall elaborate. My opinion so if I am wrong I am wrong but that’s how I read the current situation.

1. The NHS is unsustainable because it has grown so big now everyone thinks it’s “free” hence consider them natural entitlement.

2. The question of entitlement means we now have the full rights be treated “free” and the funding should come from the “have” rather than “have not”. (the blame on the “rich” in trying to take away the free services provided to the poor etc)

3. As the coffer is getting lower the govt decides that an intervention is called for but objection starts which is normal.

4. The stake holders – The public, the employees and the govt – none of which wants to give up their ways.

5. The public demand free services because health etc is the fundamental human rights but someone got to pay for it who?

6. The employees demand better work condition i.e. not long working hr and certainly no pay cut (might even demand more). The only way through this is to use their bargaining chip to escalate their demand. i.e. The public health.

7. The govt knows their coffers are running dry slowly and that to sustain a system that growing is going to be very difficult, so try to intervene before they are blamed. This means “rationalisation” or “re-engineering” but that is wishful thinking because other stakeholders will not co-operate.

The bottom line is that the NHS system will slowly degenerate into a mega bureaucratic system where it will so huge it will suck the life out of those who want to improve it.

The public health is now used as political football.

The question is who is going to score their own goal first?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Have you found out if the junior doctors are still on strike yet?

chewkw
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    Have you found out if the junior doctors are still on strike yet?

Nope. If they stop that is just a temporary settlement to buy time coz the entire system needs to be overhauled.

News here from the Independent

Now it says battle to save NHS … I see another strike sometime in future don’t you?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So you know the answer despite asking “Are they still on strike? Crikey.”

Jolly good. Any more questions that you know the answer to?

chewkw
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    So you know the answer despite asking “Are they still on strike? Crikey.”

Jolly good. Any more questions that you know the answer to?

I don’t know the long term answer or the future hence I want to know if they are still on strike or intend to strike again in future.

GrahamS

I want to know if they are still on strike or intend to strike again in future.

Are still they on strike (i.e. actively taking part in industrial action)? No.

Has the threat of strike passed? Well an agreement has been reached and the BMA will put it to its members. They won’t strike again until the members are consulted. I think it is unlikely that the members will want to strike again over this particular issue.

That answer it?

Oh and..

The employees demand better work condition i.e. not long working hr and certainly no pay cut (might even demand more).

At no point did the junior doctors strike to demand better work condition or more pay.

I’d be amazed if you could read this read and believe that.

They did strike to prevent what they believed would be worse working conditions and worse pay.

Their “demand” was essentially “don’t make things worse!”

docrobster
    Free Member

This doesn’t increase demand for health services at all.
    [video]http://youtu.be/yXAVRfIIXzk[/video]

chewkw
    Free Member

Thanks GrahamS.

So it is in consultative period … interesting.

At no point did the junior doctors strike to demand better work condition or more pay.

I’d be amazed if you could read this read and believe that.

They did strike to prevent what they believed would be worse working conditions and worse pay.

Their “demand” was essentially “don’t make things worse!”

Okay, fair enough.

docrobster – Member

This doesn’t increase demand for health services at all.

Okay, okay no toenail please …

Viewing 40 posts - 1,481 through 1,520 (of 1,735 total)

The topic ‘doctors on strike’ is closed to new replies.