Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Doctor Who – Listen
  • CaptJon
    Free Member

Well that one was rather good. Reminded me of Blink.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yes. The wrightys thoroughly approved.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Capaldi could be the greatest Dr Who ever…but the stories he is being given are lazy rubbish.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Here’s a question: what happens if the Weeping Angels (who you must look at) teamed up with the creatures under the bed (which you mustn’t look at)?

vondally
    Free Member

excellent far far superior tp the Robin Hood one

salsaboy

My daughter gave up half way through Robin Hood one, didn’t even bother with tonights.
    Should she try again?

CaptJon
    Free Member

salsaboy – Member
    My daughter gave up half way through Robin Hood one, didn’t even bother with tonights.
    Should she try again?

Yes. Last week was awful. This week was great.

kimbers

Robin hood one got better at the end

Tonights was better, but what was under the blanket ?

onandon
    Free Member

The Robin Hood episode was total toss. Tonight’s was pretty good but I not getting him a the Dr.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

what was under the blanket ?

Good, wasn’t it?

Northwind

on and on – Member

Tonight’s was pretty good but I not getting him a the Dr.

Neither is he, I think. Some great moments but it’s all scattergun, like Christopher Eccleston, for everything that sticks there’s a load more that doesn’t.

somafunk

Whatever was under the blanket is going to be the the cliffhanger end of series episode, that’s what I think anyway.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

I’ve enjoyed Doctor Who since it came back, most episodes were ok, but this series so far has been awful. Not Peter Capaldi, i’m liking him, but the writing is terrible. (didn’t watch tonights but might catch up on iplayer now after reading this thread)

martinhutch

Upshot seemed to be there was nothing under the blanket.

Better than Robin Hood, though that really wasn’t a tough job.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Here’s a question: what happens if the Weeping Angels (who you must look at) teamed up with the creatures under the bed (which you mustn’t look at)?

Clara was the creature under the bed!
    Not sure what was on top under the blanket.

somafunk

Clara plugged her subconscious into the tardis tonight therefore the Dr’s and her own subconscious were combined, she is protecting the Dr from?……. I bet there is something under the bed.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I also got Clara under the blanket.
    Come to think of it id also like to have Clara under a blanket!

chrisdw
    Free Member

Northwind

Tell you what I like… These aren’t dr who stories, they’re all stories about the doctor. Episode 1 didn’t work for me but I wasn’t the target audience, it was all for the matt smith generation- Clara as a proxy for the audience saying “I don’t like the new guy” The robin hood episode did kind of suck but it had its moments. It just all lacks the confidence of the storytelling in the last couple of series, when they’d go all out and just trusted people to get it, now it’s all a bit overt and simplistic.

And I did a wee “oh!” when this episode referred back to john hurt in the barn… It’s a lovely continuation of the whole “impossible girl” thing.

Basically it’s solid but I loved the last couple of series, even when they were wonky they were usually charming or ambitious or interesting. This one, not so much, when it misses the mark there’s not enough else going on. Thinking maybe once Danny’s in it more, that’ll get better, those 2 work together.

billyboulders
    Free Member

Reminded me of Blink.

Ooh might have to iplayer it then.
    I thought Ecclestone was fantastic but I’m not really a Dr Who fan in general. But I like a good story and the original Blink episode was brilliant. I liked Capaldi as Malcolm Tucker (and Danny in Local Hero 😉 ) but after his first few Dr Who’s I wasn’t really getting him in that role. That said, I didn’t like Tennant at all, but Blink was one of the best Dr Who’s, or any Sci Fi programmes I’ve seen and he was in that. Then they ruined it by bringing the angels back in increasingly weaker stories. So given a good script any Dr could be good I suppose.

id also like to have Clara under a blanket!

Very pretty girl but Clara = (usually very cleverly hidden) cankles. If we’re going to objectify the assistant, I’m a leg man. Bring back Amy Pond (or Rose) 😉

Harry_the_Spider

I thought last night was very good.

My kids (4 & 6) enjoyed “Robin Hood”. Don’t think I’ll show them “Listen”.

I like Capaldi, I think there is a menace about him.

robbo
    Free Member

I’m enjoying the slower pace and less running but then I’m old. The’Fear as a Superpower’ speech was great. Does seem that Clara is more in charge these days though…

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m starting to warm to Capaldi as the Dr. I though “Listen” started well, had the flavour of an old fashioned watch from behind the sofa type story, then fell over trying to be too clever but pretty much ignoring the creatures under the bed and setting up future twists and super plots for assistants. Bad Wolf, Impossible girl etc. Why can’t assistants just go back to being normal people as travelling companions?

stuey
    Free Member

I’m sure if I went back and rewatched the ‘Green death’ the writing then may not have been ‘all that clever’ – but at the time I hid like the rest of the seven year olds.

My biggest issue with the new series is the ‘cold’ CGI opening credits – bring back the old ‘smoke and mirrors’ 🙂

benji
    Free Member

Thought that was a brilliant episode, got me to the point of feeling scared, very gripping. To think as well the thing that lived under your bed as a child was Clara, why didn’t I look underneath 🙁

Loving the doctors comments as well, “what’s happened to your eyes” comment etc, very funny.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Yup, also liked the “Have you noticed when you put a mug down it disappears?”

JAG

Well that one was rather good. Reminded me of Blink.

+1

Not a great story but some good use of tension and fear – least that’s what I thought 8)

Maybe it’ll build into a better story over the coming episodes.

Cougar

Really good, I thought.

I’m really enjoying Capaldi, he’s everything I hoped he’d be and what I’ve said the show needed since it restarted. The Doctor is supposed to be eccentric, but he also needs presence, a sense of gravitas. Eccleston did quite well there, but I never really bought into that side of Matt Smith’s Doctor. Smith did the quirky, hyper Doctor really well, all custard and elbows, but when he tried to face down the universe the universe should really have replied “sod off, you’re twelve.”

CountZero

I’m with Cougar here. ‘My’ Doctor was Hartnell, I clearly remember the very first episode with the copper walking along in the fog past the old scrapyard, and Capaldi has the same controlled air of menace that Hartnell had, the idea that if you turned your back on him for a second, you could find something stuck in it, Capaldi has the same, but with an ability to have fun as well.
    I did rather enjoy the Robin Hood episode, there have always been the more jokey ones along with the hide behind the sofa ones; can anyone, hand on heart, say the Jon Pertwee/Peter Davidson series were menacing?

Smith did the quirky, hyper Doctor really well, all custard and elbows, but when he tried to face down the universe the universe should really have replied “sod off, you’re twelve.”

😆

Cougar

can anyone, hand on heart, say the Jon Pertwee/Peter Davidson series were menacing?

I’ve been rewatching some of the old episodes (and blogging about it, if anyone cares). Not got as far as Davison yet, but I’d agree about Pertwee from what I’ve seen. Pertwee was “action hero” doctor, as likely to engage in a spot of Queensbury Rules as he was to fish out a screwdriver (which always struck me as a little odd coming from Wurzel Gummage, but anyway). He was fairly convincing when he got a bit shouty, but menacing? Nah.

timraven

Best of the Capaldi era, still not convinced.

I’d love to see John Hurt do a “war doctor” season, just one season for a more adult audience?

Cougar

I’d love to see John Hurt do a “war doctor” season, just one season for a more adult audience?

I can’t see that ever happening (not least because Eight regenerated into a young John Hurt), but I do wonder how long it’ll be before Big Finish come knocking on his door.

Northwind

timraven – Member

While I like the idea of a more adult doctor series, the reality is it’d just end up being Doctor Who Later- same show, but with tits.

Cougar

Ie, Torchwood.

gogg
    Free Member

Torchwood was more about reducing homphobia by making one of the heroes gay.

Northwind

Then increasing it again by making him really annoying

codybrennan
    Free Member

I really enjoyed last night’s, and I’m really enjoying Capaldi as the man. Grizzled, craggy, with a manic dangerous edge. Very memorable.

RustySpanner

I like him so far, and the writing is pretty sharp too.

Not a huge fan of the Matt Smith era, though I liked him as The Doctor.
    I got very bored of the overarching story line and the relentlessly fast paced editing.

The last Tennant series was a little too preachy for me too, a bit overly reverential.

Cougar – Moderator

I’ve been rewatching some of the old episodes (and blogging about it, if anyone cares).

That’s interesting.
    I’ve got some of those, I’ll have to rewatch them.
    🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Late to the party on this one but really enjoyed it, the ting about moving on from what was under the blanket is that we don’t know, it’s unresolved, no everything needs an ending. For every time it might be Clara under your bed it could also be something rather terrifying that you don’t want to find.

Also on the Clara led story thing/in charge it does seem to be playing into the new Dr thing where he’s not really sure who he is, still being confused and working himself out.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Can’t help thinking that by the end of this series the Dr and Sherlock will interchangeable.
    Since the return I’ve been like a big kid on Sat nights, Russell T Davies was a better show runner than Moffatt but he got a bit self indulgent towards the end. Matt Smith could have been very good if not hampered by the writing and the annoying Amy Pond. Capaldi is heading in the right direction but the writing needs to tighten up. Robin Hood was weak but Listen was better, I like the slightly unpredictable nature of the character. Looking forward to this Saturday.

MrsCat suggested the bulge under the blanket was an enormous erection!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Doctor Who – Listen’ is closed to new replies.