Doctor Who (may contain spoilers)

Home Forum Chat Forum Doctor Who (may contain spoilers)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)
  • Doctor Who (may contain spoilers)
  • Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

deadkenny – Member

Capaldi’s stories aren’t as strong as Matt Smith’s stuff. I really liked the whole Pond/Rory story arc and darker tone.

Yup. TBH I don’t think it’s really fair to judge Capaldi on this, he’s had a load of really bland episodes and not much arc at all. Tennant’s best episodes were just fantastic… But Smith IMO got the best overall run

oldtalent

WHat utter toss. Surprised they havent forced a ‘trans’ companion down our throats yet to get another diversity box ticked.
    On the plus side ive been re-watching some of the ecclestone/tennant ones on exodus – most of them utterly utterly brilliant.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

oldtalent – Member
    WHat utter toss. Surprised they havent forced a ‘trans’ companion down our throats yet to get another diversity box ticked.

what like forcing straight white people down there too?

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

Oldtalent, to be clear, do you have a problem with gay or black characters in TV programmes?
    Just so that we know which particular type of odious shit you are.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

kelvin – Member

Oldtalent, to be clear, do you have a problem with gay or black characters in TV programmes?

I don’t think anyone would have a problem with non-white, non-heterosexual characters in TV if they were ever there for a valid reason. it’s just that this literally never happens and most likely never will, because stories involving minorities are at best boring and more usually just weird and confusing. So clearly it’s always just to tick the diversity box. They have this big form for every programme you know…

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

I can’t tell if you’re joking Northwind. Hope that you are.

gonefishin

Surprised they havent forced a ‘trans’ companion down our throats yet to get another diversity box ticked.

Well I suppose the master isn’t really a companion but technically a trans character?

shermer75

I realised a couple of days ago when watching the last Xmas special on Netflix how much I had warmed to Capaldi. It’s a shame he’s going!

I loved The Pilot, lots of insightful relationship type stuff and witty dialogue, all the things that has made Moffats tenure such a joy 🙂

Premier Icon ChrisL
    Subscriber

I’ve just watched it. I enjoyed it, moreso than the Christmas episode that I watched part of then forgot to finish.

I didn’t click with Smith, though perhaps some of the stories then were pretty good. I’m still undecided with Capaldi, though he’ll probably be gone before I do make up my mind. I think I liked Tenant the most of the new generation.

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

Thanks Cougar, I was a bit thrown there. Couldn’t discern wit from ignorance in that post; my failing.

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

Well I suppose the master isn’t really a companion but technically a trans character?

Ah, well, no one can come out of a discussion about whether the master is now Trans looking good… minefield! And do we get two regenerations of the Master at the same time this series? “The Two Masters?” What will he get up to with himself/herself if so? Could get very confusing.

CountZero

I’m sad Capaldi’s going, he’s come closest to Hartnell, ‘my’ Doctor, although Hartnell could never, ever be said to do ‘funny’, not even ‘mildly amusing’, his Doctor was, however, someone who you’d be unwise to turn your back on, and Capaldi definitely has that side to the character, mad, bad, and very dangerous to know.

Do you get the Daily Mail delivered, or are you happy to go and buy it openly?
    Enquiring minds want to know.
    You do realise that Doctor Who and Torchwood have had openly, nay blatently gay characters for some time, don’t you?

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

kelvin – Member

Thanks Cougar, I was a bit thrown there. Couldn’t discern wit from ignorance in that post; my failing.

If in doubt, just assume i’m totally hilarious

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

I really wanted to lime the Capaldi Who but Jenna Coleman put me off. I recently went back to watch all the Capaldi episodes and I really enjoyed them. I think it just took a few for him to develop his own version of the character. I’ll be sad when he goes.

Not sure about Bill. Having a companion more eccentric than the Doctor?

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

What do we think so far then?

Not too bad so far, enjoyed last night’s, but was that a spoiler in the preview for next week?
    😐

Last weeks felt a bit flat, tbh and was expecting a bit more from Frank Cottrell-Boyce’s episode two.

I really like Bill, best companion for a while.
    Fingers pointlessly crossed.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

So it’s no longer Tom Baker?

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Not too bad so far, enjoyed last night’s, but was that a spoiler in the preview for next week?

Just caught up. Had its faults but I thought that episode was ace. As Ninth may have said, David Suchet was fantastic.

Can’t comment on the preview, I leap on the ‘stop’ button as soon as it goes “next time…”, been burned by that once too often.

Suchet was outstanding. His voice breaking up at the end was wonderful.

So, what’s in the box?

It plays piano, so not likely to be a dalek. Captain Harkness, perhaps?

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

I think the Vault may be holding The Master.

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber

Never watch the previews!!

Subscriber

Cougar – Moderator

Yup, reckon so.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Random fact: that’s the same house they filmed Blink (Weeping Angels) in.

Yup, reckon so.

I base this notion on nothing other than the fact, who else would play a piano and be spoken to the way The Doctor just did? I don’t even remember what happened to him (her) last.

Subscriber

Attempting to reason with Daleks on Skaro, I think.
    🙂

Premier Icon sirromj
    Subscriber

Yeah enjoyed last night’s episode (Knock Knock – wow didn’t realize that was Suchet). The previous week (Thin Ice) was a bit lame.

mrlebowski

Suchet was superb – real, raw, genuine emotion in those final scenes from him. Who of the highest order.

In the vault?

It’s a Timelord? Maybe, though I feel that’s a little predictable. It’s someone dark, a genius & a slightly sick sense of humour. Stands to reason it’s Missy. Though, I’m hoping for something else….

ScottChegg

Jenna Coleman put me off

You must have meant ‘got me off’

gonefishin

Pretty much my thoughts too after all what other character would be happy being told a story by the Doctor where lots of young people get killed.

Then again that might be too obvious. I never saw the “He will knock four times” coming.

Premier Icon colournoise
    Subscriber

Surely got to be either Missy or The Master in the vault given it’s clearly a big part of the series arc and we know John Simm is coming back at some point.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

got to be either Missy or The Master in the vault

I wonder if we might see both, in a wibbly-wobbly Two Doctors regeneration crossover sort of affair. That could be cool (and why else would you bring John Simm back?)

I think Simm is great but was never convinced with him as The Master. Gomez, OTOH, was brilliant.

Subscriber

I thought the Simm/Tennant story arc was a bit too messianic for me, tbh.

I’m sure it’s one or both of them in the vault, but it could just be the new Doctor, or several old ones?

BTW, don’t Google anything Who related atm.

Just looked up the name of the actor slated to replace PC and it’s brought up a whole raft of spoilers.
    You really don’t want to know.

shermer75

So, what’s in the box?

Osgood’s making a comeback

Premier Icon MSP
    Subscriber

I thought the Simm/Tennant story arc was a bit too messianic for me, tbh.

The doctor who writers just can’t write an ending, the 2 potential sci-fi classics in the series reboot, Simm as the master and the one based in the school at the outbreak of the war, just dissolved into utter stupidity, I could have written better endings to them both.

ScottChegg

I’ve just caught up with this weeks.

Quite tense at first, Suchet was doing a good job of quiet menace and oddness.

But then he did his little boy voice and ruined it. A genuine laugh out loud moment. But not in a good way.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

So what did we think of tonight’s?

Cliched ‘running around in corridors’ fare, but well executed and genuinely tense I thought.

Premier Icon leegee
    Subscriber

I liked that one, just realised this series is 12 episodes.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Enjoyed, a slow demise and a loss of confidence is a good direction. Hoping they pull it off properly without too much filler. Blind in 4/12 leaves a bit of interesting time

Premier Icon kelvin
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon mtbfix
    Subscriber

Whilst the episode left something to be desired the direction the series may be heading down is intriguing. I love a good regeneration!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.