Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 109 total)
  • Doctor Who (may contain spoilers)
  • Cougar

No current thread? Is disappoint.

What did we think of last night’s episode then?

Also, the ever-accurate Mirror reckon they know who Capaldi’s replacement is going to be.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/new-doctor-who-actor-revealed-10232705

Onzadog
    Free Member

Didn’t even know it was on last night.

maccruiskeen

My money’s on Danny Dyer

tthew

Rubbish. Really didn’t understand why the girl had the star in her eye, why Bill was designated pilot, what the puddle was. Worst episode for a few seasons, and there’s been some stinkers.

chewkw
    Free Member

Stop watching it after David Tennant but had few glimpse … it’s shite now.

Drac

Thought I’d give it a try last night as nothing else was on, watched maybe half it then switched it off and went on Battlefield 1.

It’s not great anymore.

martinhutch

Didn’t even consider watching it last night. By the sounds of this thread, won’t be going on the catch-up list either. The bits of the last couple of series I’ve seen have been terrible.

The sooner Moffatt shuffles off, the better.

Kris Marshall? Seems a bit too gormless to play the Doctor.

bear-uk
    Free Member

Pretty rubbish episode.

Cougar

I should’ve known better than to ask really. I really enjoyed it, thought Bill was great.

Rubbish. Really didn’t understand why the girl had the star in her eye, why Bill was designated pilot, what the puddle was. Worst episode for a few seasons, and there’s been some stinkers.

Then you weren’t actually watching it, as it explained all those things.

RustySpanner

Not seen it yet, but I’ve enjoyed the Capaldi episodes.

And any chance of a ‘Spoiler Alert’ in the title, seeing as the relevant name is now in the main body of the thread?

Kamakazie

Didn’t make much sense but easy watching.

Oh, new companion seems good. Well acted.

thepurist

My mate said his kids were watching from behind pillows. That’ll do.

Cougar

And any chance of a ‘Spoiler Alert’ in the title,

Good point, done. I deliberately didn’t name names.

RustySpanner

Ta Cougar.

Just about to fire up the iPlayer.
    Is it wrong to be more excited about Doctor Who at 48 than I was as a kid?
    🙂

(Don’t bother answering, I know…….)

Cougar

Shameless pimp for an article written by a friend of mine.

Doctor Who season 10: After The Pilot, I’m already falling in love with the show again

(Elsewhere he also describes Nardole ‘as a cross between Jeeves and Penfold,’ which is just superb.)

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Kamakazie – Member
    Didn’t make much sense but easy watching.

Oh, new companion seems good. Well acted.

I’m with you on that one

maccruiskeen

And any chance of a ‘Spoiler Alert’ in the title, seeing as the relevant name is now in the main body of the thread?

Soz. 😉

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Capaldi can do no wrong IMHO, likewise Lucas.

Time will tell if this series is a memorable one.

RustySpanner

The Matt Smith years left me cold, tbh.

Loved the old fashioned feel and smaller scale of the Capaldi episodes, such a shame that he’s off just as he’s really getting into it.

Don’t mind the new bloke, if it’s true, but there was so much mileage left in PC.

kelvin

why Bill was designated pilot

She wasn’t. The pilot promised not to leave without her. Little makes sense without that.

Great episode I thought, felt like a real fresh start.

Cougar

I never clicked with Matt Smith. He always seemed to be doing a poor Tennant impersonation (not helped by the fact that the writers were accustomed to writing for DT I suppose). If the order had been changed – Tennant > Capaldi > Smith I think perhaps it might’ve worked a lot better.

Cougar

felt like a real fresh start.

Almost certainly intentional given the episode title. For all his failings, Moffat is way too clever for that to be an accident.

kelvin

What’s in the vault?

RustySpanner

I though Christopher Ecclestone was excellent.

I’d go Tennant, Smith (everyone expects a poor second album), Capaldi, Ecclestone.

I think the complete contrast between the last two would work really well.

slowoldman

Yes. Just the right amount of mania.

colournoise

John Simm in The Vault? Mondasian Cyberman?

Thought it was an OK episode. Agree it feels like a fresh start. Bill pretty good as a companion – smart. clever foil to Matt Lucas’ bemused background gurning. Shame all the hints are that she won’t last the series, although that could just be Moffat playing his usual games

Series trailer thing appeared to show a regeneration type event happening to Capaldi. Kris Marshall might be to goofy to be anything other than another Matt Smith, so I personally hope it’s not him (although he is no longer working on Death In Paradise so it’s plausible).

Cougar

Series trailer thing appeared to show a regeneration type event happening to Capaldi

Yeah, it’s already confirmed that this is his last season.

colournoise

slowoldman – Member

Yes. Just the right amount of mania.
    Best Doctor of the new era. Proper balance of childishness, menace and just plain alien-ness. Only Doctor where it really felt like he wasn’t human.

colournoise

Cougar – Moderator
    Series trailer thing appeared to show a regeneration type event happening to Capaldi
    Yeah, it’s already confirmed that this is his last season.

Yeah, I know. Just pointed it out as it seemed to be part of the series rather than the Christmas special – backs up the Mirror story? Odd that it was in the middle of the trailer rather than at the end?

RustySpanner

Loved that, all good for me.

Agree pretty much with Cougar’s mate’s article above too.

timidwheeler

To be a good Doctor I need to believe he/she is capable of taking off and nuking from orbit (if it is the only way to be sure). Mr Marshall does not give that impression. The Doctor needs to have a dark side. This is why Capaldi and Ecclestone were so good.

Northwind

I saw Tilda Swinton is pretty hotly tipped, I thought she was too big a name but she’d be a bloody awesome Dr. I’ve never really “got” capaldi at all as the Doctor but then I thought the Matt Smith episodes at their best were as good as Dr Who’s ever been- funny, warm, clever and confident.

teasel
    Free Member

If the Elephant Man was kinda like the Hulk in that a normal human changed into him, then Matt Smith would be the phase between human and John Merrick. Or perhaps Manimal somehow stuck between creature morphing.

Either way he was too distorted to be a regular face on tv.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Enjoyed it, a little darkness and terror, some suspense about the vault and a lead on into what’s to come. Will malcom tucker be needed for the brexishambles return?

Coyote
    Free Member

I wanted Peter Capaldi to be a success, I like him as an actor. Unfortunately I found him to be the weakest of the new era by far. Ecclestone the best by a country mile. “Dalek” is for me yet to be bettered.

allthepies
    Free Member

Have they had the first gay Dalek on-screen kiss plunger bump yet ?

RustySpanner

Coyote – Member
    I wanted Peter Capaldi to be a success, I like him as an actor. Unfortunately I found him to be the weakest of the new era by far.

After the first couple of episodes, I would have agreed with you.
    He looked lost and confused.
    Still not sure if it was genuine nerves, excellent acting or a bit of overthinking from all involved, including me.
    🙂

What with this, Robot Wars and the JC free Top Gear, I’m in my second TV childhood.

slowoldman

Best Doctor of the new era. Proper balance of childishness, menace and just plain alien-ness. Only Doctor where it really felt like he wasn’t human.

Summed up better than I could. Of course he had a brilliant companion in Billy Piper.

Cougar

I liked Eccleston. It’s a shame he spat the dummy over the whole thing.

For me, the Doctor has to have both eccentricity and gravitas. One or the other is trivial, finding both is a bigger ask. It’s why Tom Baker was so very good, he was mad as a box of frogs but if he tells you to run you’d bloody well run. Capaldi nails this as well, he can channel his inner Malcolm Tucker when he puts his mind to it.

It’s also why I never really clicked with Matt Smith; he’d got the eccentricity nailed, but for instance watching the Pandorica scene where he’s shouting down the universe I expected the universe to shout back “who the hell are you, you’re 12, jog on mate.” I didn’t dislike him exactly, rather he just felt like a poor man’s Tennant. In Day of the Doctor where they’re side by side, Tennant acts Smith off the screen (and John Hurt demolishes both of them).

After the first couple of episodes, I would have agreed with you.
    He looked lost and confused.

I think he was supposed to look lost and confused. Post-regeneration and all that.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Still much prefer the Moffat era episodes to RTD. There’s an odd hate by a portion of the fan base for Moffat. I just find RTD’s stuff was a bit too silly and Buffyesque in places (he said he wanted to make it Buffy anyway. I hate Buffy BTW 😉 ).

Some cracking episodes under RTD though and many of those were written by Moffat anyway.

Capaldi’s stories aren’t as strong as Matt Smith’s stuff. I really liked the whole Pond/Rory story arc and darker tone. It’s gone a bit “pop” with Capaldi (enough with the guitar), though he does look the part.

Anyway this one seemed pretty good. A fresh start and Bill has a lot of potential.

Just a shame Capaldi and Moffat are going. I fear Chibnall era will be awful. Terrible stuff he did on Torchwood and some of the Who episodes he did (with one exception).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Doctor Who (may contain spoilers)’ is closed to new replies.