Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Docs/Physio/Random speculators – a little help pls.
  • Gotama
    Free Member

Bit of a weird one, booked in to see the doc but no appointment until 21st so thought I’d have a crack on here….

Woke up on Sunday morning with a numb forearm on the right side, from the wrist bone on the thumb side to about six inches up my forearm. It’s only on the thumb side and is a weird numbness, almost like a numbing gel has been applied to the skin surface. It’s still there and been no change. Tried some ibuprofen and it made no difference. No other noticeable change. Bit of tenderness in the last joint of my index finger but that was there before although I am not sure what caused that either, probably some over aggressive panic braking on the bike. I was at Oktoberfest the day before so holding a stein for about 12 hours but no evidence of taking a drunken impact to my forearm. I don’t think there is material change to my grip strength but if I squeeze a lacrosse ball tightly I get an ache through my middle finger but no idea if that was there before.

Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Cat Aids.

The bad kind.

weeksy

squeeze a lacrosse ball

Why do you have a lacrosse ball ?

Did you try a squash ball ?

Tennis ball ?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Ill fitting cycling shorts and the nose of his saddle is set too high?

Gotama
    Free Member

Because i use it to roll the base of my foot on to stretch the fascia which is another ongoing issue on my creaking body.

But yes, i did suspect cat aids as the most likely cause. Probably german cat aids given my location when the issue first appeared.

tjagain

That sort of numbness sounds like a nerve issue. Muscle spasm in your shoulder / back leading to never impingement or perhaps something in the nerve in your arm where is passes thru the elbow joint?

As ever – medical advice on here is worth what yo pay for it but if it hasn’t resolved soon and well before the 21st I would be seeking proper medical advice. You don’t want permanent nerve damage. Your GP should have emergency appointments available at shorter notice

nedrapier

Leprosy. Probably isn’t, if you’re otherwise well and/or in the UK.

Could be if you’re neither of those things.

frankconway

Trapped ulnar nerve possibly.

Gotama
    Free Member

Ok, thanks TJ. Wasn’t sure whether to escalate with the docs as i assumed there would be more needy individuals than me.

Trapped ulnar nerve

Ta but wrong side of my hand according to google.

whimbrel
    Free Member

I had similar on left forearm. It also tingled if you rubbed it.
    Went to GP after a while and went all through the trapped nerve in neck/shoulder thing – exercises/hotwater bottles – with no success.
    When he had exhausted all the simple stuff, he said possibly MS, but there’s nothing they can do so pointless giving a referral, and to see how it goes and go back to see him if it goes worse, or if it goes away and comes back .
    It went away after a few months and has not reoccurred in last couple of years. Do I have MS – who knows.

paton
    Free Member

Ganglion cyst

Gotama
    Free Member

After some experimentation in the work gym at lunch i get a noticeable tingling in my thumb when doing a row on the TRX thingys so nerve related to muscle use in back/arm seems likely given TJs comment.

geomickb
    Free Member

Thumb suggest median nerve (ulnar would be pinky).

Have a Google for some median nerve glides and see how that goes.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Docs/Physio/Random speculators – a little help pls.’ is closed to new replies.