• This topic has 77 replies, 64 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by ctk.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Doc Martens : who wears them?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

Who’s got a pair or two of Doc Martens?

I’ve just got the classic shoe in black.

My fave pair were waxy olive green shoes I had in the 80s.

ton

me. comfy too.

zippykona

I have 5 pairs.

Cherry red

2 pairs waxed brown

Brown

And nubuck.

Tonight I shall be wading through big puddles to see which are the most waterproof after giving them a good wax.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Jerzei Balowski?

richardkennerley

Had a few boots over the years, got one worn old pair and a slightly newer “smarter” pair on the go at the moment. Had a few pairs of trainers over the past few years as well.

I want a pair of the standard shoes (although the hard life version) but they’re £130.

simondbarnes

Me. Pair of brown 1460s.

molgrips
    Free Member

Me. They fit me well and are durable. Kept struggling to find work shoes I like then thought sod it, £120 on DMs. Worth it.

I then bought another brown pair, not quite traditional style but I wanted something I could wear with chinos and both a t-shirt or smart shirt, as the traditionals look weird with a t-shirt I think, at least on me.

kerley
    Free Member

Wearing them right now. The Newton model which is noticeably lighter than the standard boot while also being a bit softer with no breaking in required.
    Strung with red laces as I am still a rude boy in my head.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I wonder if he wears them?

spursn17
    Free Member

A pair of 1490 boots at work, my little kick against the office ‘business attire’ policy, and a pair of made in England 1461 shoes.

Both have yellow stitching, it must always be yellow stitching!

136stu
    Free Member

In Hebden Bridge all the ladies wear them.

Beagleboy

I’m wearing a pair of purple docs with rainbow laces. Cause I can. 🙂

zippykona

Me and Kerley.

kcal

Our friend habitually wears purple Docs – ecclesiastical purple – always has done, especially now he’s a bishop.

jamj1974

I do.  8 eyelet in brown. Used to be a big wearer of 8  eyelet in black – both original and the greasy finish.

Klunk
    Free Member

the griggs legacy

Mister-P
    Free Member

Alexie Sayle?

ThePinkster

Yep, love ’em and worn them for years.

I’m currently down to 3 pairs – 2 x 1460’s one of each in classic black (black laces) & cherry (yellow laces) and also a pair of their Rakem mid-olive ‘urban explorer’ boots that are even waterproof!

I really miss my old DM brogue boots (a bit like the Affleck but all leather and proper off road sole) that I got married in. They were the most comfortable boots I’ve ever had but the tongue developed a fault so had to go back and they’d stopped making them by then.

nickc

yep, brown leather chelsea boots. (can’t be arsed with laces)

ThePinkster

Just realised, I’m actually wearing the Rakem’s at the moment.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I used to wear them, back when I worked for them. Hadn’t worn them for years then thought I’d give them another try but the pair I bought were pretty shoddy. Shame really.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I’d all but forgotten about DMs until I was browsing in a fabulous shop in Kirkby Lonsdale. GR & RD Taylor. What an emporium of variety and delight. You can get a Robert’s radio, an adze, firelighters, airguns, knives, bows, Zippo lighters, thermal socks, torches, a policeman’s helmet (yep), an NYFD jacket, cartridge belts and lots of DMs.

If you’re in Kirkby, it’s well worth a look.

john_l
    Free Member

Cherry Reds.

And Billy Bolofski

Philby

Had a pair of the oxblood boots for ages and then several pairs of the black shoes both with shiny leather, matt leather or the greasey ones. Stopped buying them as the quality seemed to dip quite considerably and I had a 2 or 3 pairs in a row where the leather started tearing ao haven’t bought any since, and just looking at the current prices I don’t think I will be in the near future despite living 5 minutes from a shop who almost solely (sorry about the pun!) sell DMs. Such a shame that a great British product seems to have lost its way somewhat.

mjsmke

I would but they’re too narrow for my feet.

edhornby

Both my daughters have them for school shoes and they are ace, they last well, keep dry and about the same as Clarks

convert

The made in the UK versions for better quality (and more £££). Shame they have stopped the For Life range.

2 pairs here – so comfy. Gone vegan since last purchase so I guess I guess I’ll have to go down that option when the time comes to buy again.

molgrips
    Free Member

I would but they’re too narrow for my feet.

They do different widths. Men’s and unisex, with men’s being the narrower. Which is odd, I can only imagine it’s a style thing.

Marin
    Free Member

Yep ox blood boots with turned up jeans and Fred Perry is my pub wear. I think I look ace though others may disagree.

dove1

We all do in my family.

Even The Boy wears a pair of 1461’s and he’s a die-hard trainer wearer.

mooman
    Free Member

Yep – brown Cabrillo crazy horse for any/every occasion. Not as industrial as the standard 8 hole bovver boots. Comfortable as slippers.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Safety ones on my feets at the moment, first pair for 20+ years. Seem ok so far.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Are they still agony for the first several months of wearing them or are they a bit softer now?

flowergirl
    Free Member

Me! Got around a dozen pairs at the last count I think. Pink, green, black, blue, brown, flowery, sequinned, posh ones with heels, you name them! Wear them every day for work as I’m on my feet all day. Nothing else is as comfy.
    Bought quite a few at the outlet store at Cheshire Oaks so had a few bargains!

winston
    Free Member

In a previous life I used to look after some of the Griggs family fortune. They were thoroughly old school and only moved the production to China when it was clear the unions would cause the firm to fold if they didn’t. It was agonizing for them but worse for the 1000 that got made redundant. Good old unions eh!

I left my job about a year before they sold to private equity for 300 million….my old boss took the money and the credit. That’s life!

Interesting the only pair of shoes I ever owned that literally fell apart on me was a pair of docs given to me by max.

concrete24
    Free Member

Yep – been wearing the 8 hole black pair I bought in 1996 today – still look virtually new despite being older than nearly all of the people I was working with! Also got a pair of steel toe cap DM shoes from when I worked in a factory in the early 90’s – mainly for garden/DIY building projects now – my toes owe them many debts of gratitude!

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I bought some earlier this year.

Wore them today.

Not really getting on with them to be honest. Make me walk a bit “ploddy”

Used to wear them all the time as a schoolboy but that was 40 years ago!

bob_summers

Gone vegan since last purchase so I guess I guess I’ll have to go down that option when the time comes to buy again.

They’re supposed to be good now. I used the Steelie version in the early 90s when I was a toolmaker and they were made of something similar to cardboard. They just dissolved. But no other vegan options for work boots back then.

colournoise

Got a pair of ‘womens’ black patent leather 1460 for best. Couldn’t get ‘mens’ in patent at the time…

Just worn through the sole on a 4 year old pair of 2976 that I wear daily for work. Will be replaced by another pair (unless on a whim I go back to Blundstones) as I know they are wide enough (if I size up) to not aggravate my gippy feet.

Had an amazing pair of 1460s years ago – black canvas with multicoloured lace over the top. Wish they still did those…

tenfoot

I bought a black pair for winter dog walking. With the sown in tongue, they are just the ticket for walking through the mud and slop that the local footpaths have turned in to.

Are they still agony for the first several months of wearing them or are they a bit softer now?

I found mine were digging into the top of my right foot between the toes and ankle, for a while last year. Seem ok now though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Doc Martens : who wears them?’ is closed to new replies.