Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Do your organic brake pads squeal?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

just after the general consensus, put yet another set of sintered in (thinking id glazed the first set) and straight away and even after bedding them in properly and for the remainder of the ride howling squeal when pressing the brakes with any anger!

i used to run superstar sintered, and have done for ages summer/winter, i dunno if the recent batch have been shite but mine have all recently started doing it!

so im hoping going to organics will cure this, so regardless of brand really are the organics actually going to be quiet, assuming everything else is ok (i know most brakes squeal in the wet, but i dont expect any noise in the dry)

so do you organics squeal?

cp

organics have always been quiet for me. Sintered for me have varying degrees of noise depending on random conditions.

bigyinn
    Free Member

My SS organics are silent usually, although they can howl a bit if they get wet. Once dry they’re silent once more.
    Similar with SS sintered.
    Cant remember about SS Kevlar ones, think they’re silent most of the time.

andytherocketeer

My Formula Oro organics squeal a bit in the wet, but nothing like as bad as the SS sintered ones. And the organic ones lasted way longer too, and stopping power feels a lot better.

sandwicheater

My XT’s always squeaked (back and front) regardless of winter/summer with sintered pads.

Swopped to organic and the squeaking improved in the dry but took a thorough cleaning of the disks and the squeak has now completely gone. May be worth taking your disks off and thorough clean, may help.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Cheers guys

I’ve cleaned the disc and its brand new too, pretty sure it’s just the current batch of SS sintered!

I can deal with squeal from organics in the rain as its to be expected until they get used and warm up , but when your in the dry and going for it down a long fast descent annoying death squeal from sintered I’d truly awful, and that’s where I’m at with mine

Just gonna bang some organic in 4 packs for 18 quid even if they last slightly less ( I will bed them in properly this time) I’d can’t be doing with that noise

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Well just to update incase any one else searches

Banged in a new pair of uber bike semi metallic / organic and low and behold absolute silence!

Also feel a million times better braking wise than SS sintered!

Dunno whether SS sintered suddenly have a dodgy batch but I couldn’t get them stop squealing at all, I’ve used them for years and no noise in he dry or wet then suddenly the last two pairs the same noise

Anyways I’ve properly bed these in for the first time in ages on organic and the bite is great, really solid grippy braking and silenceeeeeeeeeeeeee

Not bothered it they squeal in wet weathers I’m sure once I’ve got them hot again they will be quiet like normal, and at 18 quid for four sets even if they get half the wear over sintered I can live with that given the silence

So organics for the win for me

organic355
    Free Member

Where from? Link please? Ta

paulmgreen
    Free Member

Yes…. Link please!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

link for what the pads?

they are organic/semi metallic from uberbikecomponents below

http://www.uberbikecomponents.com/view-product/Uberbike-Formula-Mega-The-One-R1-RX-RO-T1-Semi-Metallic-Disc-Brake-Pads

impressed, the spring seems springier than the superstar ones, and they fit in great, often the SS ones are too fat

these i got in straight away and perfectly aligned with no rub straight away…

they squealed as i bed them in (maybe due to the sintered surface left on my rotors where id not cleaned them)

but as soon as they cooled down not a sound all the way regardless of style of braking

organic355
    Free Member

these i got in straight away and perfectly aligned with no rub straight away…

Been battling with some superstar ones last week, they seemed far too thick and even after a re-bleed there is some rub.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

yeah dunno just seems odd never had an issue with sintered superstar for ages, quiet as a mouse for 2 years then suddenly out of nowhere cannot stop the squeal and the pads just seem much thicker

i did a couple 10ish hard stops down a hill on these uber ones, and spun the wheel and it spun and spun and spun for ages

for me if they wear quicker the organic at least you can have a nice quiet ride, nowt worse than razzing through the woods and cheeky FP’s and having to listen to that noise when braking, 4 packs for 18 quid cant really go wrong

my last set of organics lasted just over 2 months without bedding in and some grotty rides with alot of peak grit and braking etc

andytherocketeer

My SS sintered rubbed a lot. In fact wouldn’t even go in to start with. But when I put a micrometer on them the thickness was thinner than stock Formula organic, which was strange. Maybe they’re ever so slightly curved or something.
    Had to let oil out to get pads in. And all seems fine, but the stock Formula are 2x better and 2x the price and lasted way way longer. And since we’re talking about a critical safety item, I’m happy to pay the price of a beer or 2 extra for a component on a 2 grand bike.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Do your organic brake pads squeal?’ is closed to new replies.