Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Do your brake levers hit your toptube?
  • plyphon
    Free Member

Just lowered my stem and now the levers hit my toptube of my 456C.

Will I die? Or will my frame die, more importantly?

onandon
    Free Member

loosen the clamp bolt on the levers. If they do spin around and hit the TT they should tilt out of the way.

LoCo
    Free Member

yes

getonyourbike
    Free Member

On my hardtail, yes. The brake levers just touch and touch out of the way but my shifter hits it quite a lot. No on the full sus because of the dropped top tube.

trail_rat
    Free Member

only if your doing radddaz barspins

zerocool

No, but then I’ve always ran mine tilted higher than many other people do. I can imagine that it’s a pain in the arse to have them keep hitting the TT though

Tom KP

nedrapier

A rejig of handlebars and stem saw mine clipping, at the same time as reading some reasonable arguments about flatter angles on levers. So now they don’t. (and I’m 17% more raddletastic, obvs.)

adsh
    Free Member

Mine used to and as the frame was expensive I had a top tube protector on it.

Then I did a bike skilz session and learned the importance of wrists down when attacking/descending and had to tilt the levers back up (and closer) which meant they clear.

If you stack the bike and the bars rotate hard with levers not clearing you will dent the top tube not matter how slack your levers. It’s either a top tube protector or adjustment.

plyphon
    Free Member

Interesting.

I might rotate them slightly so they can clear it.

campkoala
    Free Member

No. Never! Not on any bike ever!
    But then I don’t run stupidly long forks, stupidly low bars or run my levers at a stupidly downwards angle.
    Can you see what I’m getting at here?

Northwind

Nope, it offends my sense of neatness.

scottfitz
    Free Member

only if your doing radddaz barspins

And tailwhips

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I can’t imagine how it’s possible. I’m looking at the bike. I can’t see how my levers could ever touch the top tube. Feel daft.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’m running 140mm forks, 20mm rise bars and a 60mm stem with a slight rise on a Cotic BFe and no headset spacers, and the shifter hits by quite a few mm. Run my brake levers about 10-20 degrees from horizontal and they just about touch.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yes, they do on most of my bikes.

Crashing asside it’s never an issue, and even crashings never dented the top tube.

plyphon
    Free Member

I can’t imagine how it’s possible. I’m looking at the bike. I can’t see how my levers could ever touch the top tube. Feel daft.

Really?

I’m tempted to take a photo later, mine quite happily touch as they are at the moment, and wouldn’t consider any of these to be true either:

But then I don’t run stupidly long forks, stupidly low bars or run my levers at a stupidly downwards angle.

scottfitz
    Free Member

On my holeshot the end of my bars used to touch the tip of my saddle/penis* 😯

Got a spoon now and it no longer touches.

*Still got the same penis.

PJay
    Free Member

I have a very relaxed riding position and reasonably high bars and my brake lever hit the centre of my toptube.

scotroutes

I do see brake levers set at amazingly dangly angles. I assumed it was just a fashion thing and the comment by adsh above seems ro confirm that.

Edric64
    Free Member

Levers would touch bars if I crashed and the bars spun round but its the only position they are comfy in with my big hands

Olly
    Free Member

Or will my frame die, more importantly?

if anything is going to fail, it will be the brake lever.
    its very dependant on frame shape, but quite common. worst case scenario is a minor ding in the top tube and/or a broken lever. Very unlikely though.

I tend to run my levers a shade loose anyway. Apparently a motocross trick. As mentioned above, tighten them up, then loosen them just enough. you want to be able to use them safely, and not have them move under normal loads, but with a good bash they will swivel out the way. same for shifters too. if you crank them right up you are likely just to snap them off with contact with the floor/trees/your nuts, in a crash.

breadcrumb

I dented the top tube on my old Univega with the brake lever when I took a tumble. It was the first outing on the bike too, I was gutted, it was bought with paper round money.

trail_rat
    Free Member

On 2 bikes the bars touch the top tube first. ( no dents – many crashes)

On the other my bike the brake levers would hit but have in the past just swiveled out the way under crashing

My road bike , commuting bike , tt bike and cross bike – bars all hit first and no damage to them

chives
    Free Member

Running Hope Tech evo brakes it’s the shifters that touch down first – looking forward to potentially swapping out the m/c’s for the new Tech 3’s so I can rotate the shifters up to a more comfortable angle. Should stop top tube fouling then.

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

I suffer from serious handle bar to top tube interference. It shows your front end is slammed and this is Cool! slamthatstem.com.

avdave2

On my holeshot the end of my bars used to touch the tip of my saddle/penis*

Flaccid or aroused?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Not my brake levers, my shifters slam into my top tube though. Makes me wince even moar every time I crash! Big problem with 29ers innit.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Do your brake levers hit your toptube?’ is closed to new replies.