• This topic has 100 replies, 57 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)
  • Do you- would you wear a hi-viz when on the road,when riding a bike
  • hels
    Free Member

Indeed.

Car drivers need to learn the difference between Sorry Mate I Didn’t See You and what the real truth is Sorry Mate I Wasn’t Looking Properly Cos I’m A Rubbish Driver, which is much more likely.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

Commuting bike has all the legal reflectors and a few extra ones.

Including the amber pedal reflectors? I can’t quite figure out how to attach them to egg-beaters.

Self adhesive amber reflective tape stuck on the pedals and crank arm. Not much to stick it to on eggies but must be a bit of spindle to wrap it round.

GrahamS

TJ: does tape meet the legal requirement?

D0NK

not wearing hi viz or bright colours can be considered contributary negligence.

and that’s messed up*. If it’s dark and I’ve got more lights on my bike than than a christmas tree or it’s daylight conditions WTF has hi viz got to do with contributary negligence?

*assuming you’re not omitting important info

mikey74
    Free Member

All the Specialized shoes I’ve had (the proper spd ones, not the trainer style ones) have reflective trim on them. Surely that would replace the reflector on the pedal.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Graham – I have found it hard to get specifics. there is a standard for reflectivity and for size I think – tape should be able to meet it.

However if you have a reasonable area of tape it does tend to trump their defence of “he had no reflectors” which is crap at the best of times. Its also really noticeable in a headlamp beam

I have the tape on both my bikes that get ridden at night

uplink
    Free Member

I occasionally see a guy who has a red flashing LED on his right shoe, at least I think it’s his shoe heel

Quite impressive

DaRC_L

that’s messed up*.

No just the legal system – the driver’s insurance company (the driver was very apologetic) just want to keep their costs down so if they can suggest I was inappropriately dressed in dark clothing then they can claim it was contributory negligence.

jamest
    Free Member

I have for the first time in yeas returned to regular commuting, I now wear hi viz gilet thing, have lights on if there’s low cloud or poor visibility, have a bell on the bike and wear an idiot whistle on some shock cord attached to my packs shoulder strap, this has yet to be needed but aims to alert others to my presence as approaching busy or dodgy areas in town, of course it relies on there being time..

D0NK

Yeah I know what CN is, and that insurers want to shaft you “keep their costs down” but what have hi vis garments got to do with anything assuming my 2 previous statements ie there was no problem with actual visibility.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Each to their own, but if you cycle on the roads when its dark and you dont wear a hi viz vest or similar IMO your a bell end. If you dont wear a helmet at all, again your a bell end.

Fair enough. IMO you’re a cock 🙂

Only because it seems a bit silly to say each to there own and then insult people because of their opinions!

GrahamS

Graham – I have found it hard to get specifics. there is a standard for reflectivity and for size I think – tape should be able to meet it.

Just been looking. The relevant law seems to be Section 18 of the The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 which basically says you must use the light and reflectors specified in the table.

For pedal cycles that table says we need a “Front position lamp, Rear position lamp, Rear retro reflector and a Pedal retro reflector”.

The definition of a “Pedal Retro reflector” is in Schedule 20 and says:

Number: Two reflectors on each pedal

Longitudinal: On the leading edge and the trailing edge of each pedal

Lateral:No requirement

Vertical:No requirement

Angles of visibility: Such that the reflector on the leading edge of each pedal is plainly visible to the front and the reflector on the trailing edge of each pedal is plainly visible to the rear

Markings: A British Standard mark (specification for photometric and physical requirements of reflective devices published by the British Standards Institution under the reference BS 6102: Part 2: 1982, namely “BS 6102/2”)

Size of reflecting area: No requirement

Colour: Amber

So there you go. Technically tape probably wouldn’t meet the requirement as it won’t have a British Standard Mark.

Though if you had tape as you described you would hope any sensible judge would tell them to stick such technical objections where the sun doesn’t reflect.

zilog6128

I don’t think many (if any) decent bike lights these days conform to BS 6102/3 either (hence are illegal for road use unless coupled with a crappy but legal light)

TiRed

For pedal reflectors, I use these:

Don’t meet the BS requirements, however, but are unbelievably visible at night. Nothing says cyclist, quite like it when you see them in a car!

will
    Free Member

When commuting yes. A high Vis Gillet. Also a hope Vision 2 flashing light.

I just think when commuting in anycity centre you can never be too careful!

However when just out riding on the road, no I don’t bother…

rewski
    Free Member

Police need to clamp down on the tinted glass, people only have it so that can get away with using there mobiles phones, tricky to see hi viz through that stuff, constantly pulling out on me.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Reflectives *do* only work when light shines on them but they’re really bright when it does (and will have a larger area than your rear front or rear light). More importantly, ankle or pedal reflectives move in a way that says very clearly ‘cyclist’. When I’m driving a car they make a big difference to how visible cyclists are.

They’re also a really good back up for those times when your lights fail.

For me it’s Conti Reflex tyres plus ankle bands. Rucksack, waterproof and windvest in a bright colours (not black). Sam brown belt or windvest on top if I’m riding in normal clothes in anything other than bright light.

I don’t get the desire to look like some kind of Ninja (who, remember, wear black to *make* themselves invisible) when riding a road bike or commuting. Buying colours that have a chance of showing up costs nothing.

miketually
    Free Member

I don’t think many (if any) decent bike lights these days conform to BS 6102/3 either (hence are illegal for road use unless coupled with a crappy but legal light)

The law was changed recently to make LEDs legal.

There is a maximum brightness for bike lights though. Can’t remember the numbers, but on the cheap halogen lights from Argos that I had a few years ago the flood was the maximum legal brightness and the spot was two or three times as bright.

Jamie
    Free Member

For pedal reflectors, I use these:

£13-£15 seems a bit pricey. i know ‘what price safety etc’, but still. Oof!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member
    D0NK

The regs are a bit skew-whiff, aslong as you have the reflectors and a light that emits as many lumens as a sick glow worm you are legal, go for the christmas tree approach and you can still end up illegal. Certainly my rear facing white flasher on my helmet will get a black mark.
    Real world police aren’t going to pull you if you’re well lit and visible…

but obviously the insurance companies will still try to “keep their costs down” if their client mows you down anyway, then expect a fine tooth comb. Seeing as how the only legit pedals are the rubbish plastic ones you get on BSOs (or the rubbish spd clip ons) most of us are in trouble.

Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Do you- would you wear a hi-viz when on the road,when riding a bike’ is closed to new replies.