Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Do you wear your tyres out?
  • yoshimi

Or are you like me with a garage full of part worns? Even now I’m considering ditching the ones I’ve got for the next ‘do it all tyre’

andy7t2
    Free Member

always wear them out last few were side walls ripped

hilldodger
    Free Member

shed contains at least three years worth of ‘part worn’ tyres – probabaly about 8 pairs !!

elaineanne
    Free Member

well you could always recycle them and make them into some sort of sculpture i guess… 😉 :mrgreen:

steveh

I’ve not bought any new tyres for quite a while as I’m deliberately working through the part worn pile until they’re all dead. Have been doing this for the last year or so and am now on the last ones. I have new ones in the cellar ready to go for several sets so am looking forward to the grip.

rewski
    Free Member

Sometimes, nothing fancy though, local pub or restaurant.

Sorry…too much coffee.

swisstony
    Free Member

i’ve got loads in the garage, i don’t think they wear out but when you buy new tyres i’m always suprised how much grip they have

stumpy01

First pair of off-road tyres I bought – Michelin Wildgrippers were replaced (can’t remember why) and gave them to a mate. He used them for ages and at the 2010 24/12 his son had them fitted to his bike. I must have bought them in 2002 or so!!
    My Panaracer Fire XC must have been bought in about 2003/4. I stopped using them last year as the wire was just beginning to show through the sidewall rubber. Bloke at work asked me recently for some tyres for his bike that he potters about on. They are fine for that, so he’s now got them – probably several years more use in them, I reckon.

I’ve got some Spesh Enduro which I bought for Spain, but they are too big, really. I put them on my Inbred, but the knobbles rub the fork brace on my Reba’s so they are sat in the garage gathering dust.

My tyres for real gloop (Continental Edge) have hardly any wear after a couple of years, a pair of Speed Kings are looking quite worn but a fair few miles left in them and the slicks on my ‘road’ wheels are looking fine.
    The tyres on my Stumpy are looking OK, apart from a cut in the tread on the rear, that seems to be causing no problems at the mo’ but might be an issue if it gets any worse!

So, no – tyres seem to last me ages! Probably need to ride more!

Coyote
    Free Member

I wear rear tyres out quicker so for the past year or so I’ve managed to move the front tyre to the rear, put a new one on the front and bin the old back one.

Works for me.

matt_outandabout

Wear em out most of the time, occasionally I bought a bigger/wintery tyre when the ‘all rounders’ were not really worn (like the nylon casing was not showing…)

chiefgrooveguru

What is the definition of wearing out? Losing the sipes? Losing the whole treadblock?

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

I tend to change my tyres when the inner tube is poking out in 5 places or my front tyre washes out more than three times in a ride. No temptation to save the tyres then and they go straight in the bin.

z1ppy

Trouble is Coyote, I like trying out different tyres, as I’ve never had anything that I thought was completely perfect*. So I have a bunch of part worn front tyres (I do wear out the rear ones)..
    Did say I wouldn’t buy anymore until I used them up, but the NN’s on the on-one site are calling me!

* I’ve had some that I thought were close, then the condition change and they’re pants. Latest example of this was my front Conti Rubber Queen, thought they were damned fine until I rode in ice and got left behind by everyone else with NN’s…

PJM1974
    Free Member

I usually ride mine to death before I replace them…apart from the brand new Kenda Nevegal which I managed to put a stanley knife through the sidewall of when botching a ghetto tubeless conversion.

That still really irks me, two years on.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Wore out a supertacky rear in a weeks riding in Spain.

Most of my part worns are beyond reasnoble off-road use but get kept for emergencies or passed off to my parents or brothers bikes for trundling about on.

Saw a t-shirt for roadies that said “Ride up grades not upgrades” * so my mantra for the next year or two is to ride everything in my spares box into the ground. If it works at some point in the next year on an 8×1 steel hardtail with siezed solid rock shox pilots!

* “ride grades not upgrades” might be better for MTB’ers.

D0NK

I normally trash the sidewalls before the tread wears out. I do seem to be building quite a tyre collection tho, mainly “it’s wrecked but it’ll do in an emergency” tyres, all 15 of them! There’ll never be that many emergencies but I’m a born hoarder.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I was riding to work a few weeks back when the six year old Specialized Enduro tyre on the front of my Spesh Enduro (natch) went “pop!”. I looked down to see a 3″ tear in the sidewall, I didn’t realise that they were absolutely paper thin.

I wouldn’t have ridden so hard on it had I known!

thomthumb
    Free Member

i have a whole pile of part worn 26″ tyres but i haven’t ridden my 26″ bike since june! hoping to wear some out this year!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Slightly knackered rear tyre is OK IMO. The last two chucks were caused by sidewall rips. But I try to keep the front good.

I’m getting some 2.2 black chilli RQs to keep by for later in the year when my Maxxis Advs are worn down.

chiefgrooveguru

But how worn down is worn down? With cars the legal limit is 1.6mm over most of the width of the tread but it’s recommended to change them at 2.5-3mm.

Are we talking slicks down the centre of the tyre? Or down to half the original knob height? Or what?

_tom_
    Free Member

I wear mine down so they’re almost slick 😆 The last high roller I had actually had no tread left on it apart from the side bits.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Mate of mine has some WTB Velociraptors that were on a 1997 GT so must have been made about 15 years ago and he still uses them on his main bike! They arnt even near worn out tho so must be made of really hard plastic.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Those Velociraptors were great, I had a pair on my old Schwinn for about 4 years before the thing got nicked.

I might have a look for a pair…

flamejob
    Free Member

Well, there is one reason for wanting to be back in the UK…

… less cash on tyres!

Worn Tyre by Flamejob, on Flickr

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Do you wear your tyres out?’ is closed to new replies.