• This topic has 41 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Marin.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Do you throw away your old magazines?
  • Potdog
    Free Member

Having a clear out and realised that I’ve managed to hoard a sh!t load of old copies of Dirt, Singletrack, MBR and MBUK. Off to the recycling they go, but somehow feel guilty about chucking them out. God only knows why as I never go back to them to read them!

fasthaggis

I give them to cycling folk at work.

DezB
    Free Member

No, I don’t. I hoard them and I wish I didn’t.

kingofthefools
    Free Member

I hoard them until the Mrs gets annoyed then she throws them in the recycling

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve a set of Mountain magazines from about #68 to the last edition, this would be from the 1980s. I’ve also a full set of Crags magazines from the same period.

binners

I’ve got a shelf with every single Singletrack magazine, from issue 1

Imagine if, when I was 20, someone had told me that this is what I would become?

*bursts into tears*

Potdog
    Free Member

Seem to have 6 copies of the last ever print edition of Dirt!

Thinking back I had some weird distribution package as I had an advert in there and it was a cheap way of doing it!

No wonder they went under. Advert and 15 copies of the mag, posted out to Spain for less than they would sell me just the advert 😲

Potdog
    Free Member

I also think I’ve a shed load of old Singletrack mags in boxes in the loft 😲

I appear to be turning into my Grandad 😂

Coyote
    Free Member

Kept hold of a couple of copies of Dirt for ages. Might still have them. Keep them for at the most 6 months then recycle.

Potdog
    Free Member

So for the hoarders…..anyone missing issues

44 – 50  (46 still in wrapper!)

For their hoards, sorry collection?

Potdog
    Free Member

Speak now, for tomorrow they get recycled.

trumpton
    Free Member

Years ago I had every BMX action bike for about 6 years from the 80’s. Sold them to a bmxer at a car boot sale who arrived by bike. ( bmx ). Probably worth something today. He went off happy with carrier bags hanging from his bars. 😉

DezB
    Free Member

Er, when me and the ex downsized, (early 2000s, I think), in our loft I had every NME since sometime in 1978. A weekly paper! I threw them in the skip and tears tumbled down my weird, freaky, hoarder’s face.
    Kept some though! And still got em
    HAha! I Won! 😀

Harry_the_Spider

Got all copies of Singletrack since about issue 30.

Free to a good home, or a bad one… I don’t really care.

avdave2

I have a copy of MBR from 1998 which I bought to read a group test review and I ended up buying a Marin East Peak. I think that was the last magazine of any type I’ve bought and I still have it. So given that I have 100% of every magazine I’ve bought in over 20 years I guess I’m a horder.

miketually
    Free Member

I did have every Singletrack issue from 1 to 100. They didn’t have PDFs of issues 5 and 14 (I think) so mine got cut up and scanned to go in the subs archive. After that, I recycled almost all of them – I kept issues 1 to 4 and 100. I’ve gone digital subs only, so don’t have to get rid of issues now.

edhornby

chuck em – unless I can remember to give them away to a teenage mate

simon_g

I’ve hung on to the last ever Dirt. Except for that, they go in the recycling after a few months on the bathroom shelf unless I find someone to give them to.

chakaping
    Free Member

I drop them off at Youth Hostels or similar for people to browse.

Used to keep Singletrack and Dirt as they were “higher quality” and Steve Jones’ bike reviews were kind-of definitive, but that was years ago.

Davesport

I amassed a hoard of magazines so vast that it was going to mean trip to the dump in the van to dispose of them. The easiest option for me was to post every single one of them through a mates letterbox one at a time until they were his problem and not mine. The pile was so big he couldn’t get his front to open :o)

So to answer you question, Yes.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve gone digital subs only, so don’t have to get rid of issues now.

Or even read them.

😉

No, I don’t. I hoard them and I wish I didn’t.

That’s Mr Trebus innit? Blast from the past.

matt_outandabout

I’ve given a pile to the groms at cycling club.
    Schools like them – can engage reluctant readers.
    My doctor’s is sporting a couple of Singletrackworld editions.

doris5000

I think my parents still have most MBUKs from about 1993 to 1997 at their house. The big dirty hoarders.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve had 2 subscriptions for ST bought as Xmas presents in the past, don’t think I read any of them completely, just flicked through. All went in the recycling bin.

Kuco

At one point a had about 6 years worth of MBUK’s from issue one and practically the full collection of MTB Pro (fav mtb mag ever) all ended up going recycling when I moved. Also, use to have several years worth of War plane mags.

richmars

Just picked up all my old Scale Models mags from my mums house. Date from the 1970’s. So yes, I keep them.

Potdog
    Free Member

I don’t feel quite so much of a freak now, 1 for hoarding them in the first place and 2 for now sticking them in the recycling 😂

Caher

If you have a 1938 action comic might be worth a bit (£3m).

CountZero

I had pretty much every copy of MBUK up until about six or seven years ago, plus Bike Magazine, Dirt, Singletrack, MBR, plus a few others, and I just chucked them in the recycling skip.
    I really wish now I’d kept back the MBUK’s and cut out all the Mint pages and filed them in order. 😕

Northwind

I hoard them… but I also feel like a massively succesful human being when I finally throw any out so there’s a good payoff.

TiRed

I have all editions of Privateer. I also keep Rouleurs for awhile then place them at work. Everything else is recycled. Doctors surgery is always a start.

jakehinton
    Free Member

Give them to a Dentist or Doctors surgery. The mags they have are normally crap!

nickc

Haven’t got the space even if I wanted to (which I don’t)

breadcrumb

I’ve about 20 issues of singletrack in the loft. Plan is to cut the covers off to decorate a wall in the man cave. The man cave needs sorting/rebuilding first though.

RustySpanner

1 copy of Word when I had a letter printed, but I have no idea where it is. 🙂

The rest get given away.

AlexSimon

I’ve still got a few 80s issues of MBA/MBUK/etc.
    Still got all the Ride issues because they look pretty.
    But I managed to cull everything else including Cranked, Dirt, ST, etc, etc. Felt like a relief to be honest!
    I had every issue of Edge magazine and managed to sell those to someone in switzerland for £400 delivered (£170 profit in the end – what a ball-ache that was). Chucked the rest into the recycling bin.

trumpton
    Free Member

You can buy A4 sized glass frames in wilko and make some nice images up for your home.

Potdog
    Free Member

Quite like the idea of keeping some of the nicer images to decorate the man cave with. Got some 1970’s maps stored for that purpose too.

sherco
    Free Member

Nobody has mentioned grot hoard.

My mate spent nearly all his student grant on them.
    Would have needed a van to move it. The newsagent loved him, bought a car off the back of it🤣.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Do you throw away your old magazines?’ is closed to new replies.