Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Do you stretch after riding?
  • trumpton
    Free Member

Not sure of the benefits if any. Just wondered.

weeksy

Nope, but i think i probably should

onandon
    Free Member

Yes. Absolutely without fail.

it has made a massive difference to my riding on road and MTB.

More flexability, less pain, less stiffness, what’s not to like.

jobro
    Free Member

Only if its a spin/turbo session.

On normal rides I just spin out easily in the last few minutes.

British Cycling say you should:-

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowledge/article/izn20140115-Intermediate-Warming-Up-and-Cooling-Down-0

sarawak
    Free Member

Yes indeed. Before and after and a couple of times during the day. Not a massive session. Just a few minutes each time.

Was having lots of trouble with ITB. Olivia the physia did what she could but said only real long term solution was to do regular stretches.

Took a bit of getting used to but now I have a system and it just becomes part of my daily life.

hols2
    Free Member

Generally, yes. I never used to and I think it has helped a lot, I used to always be stiff and sore for a couple of days, much better now (but also riding more and a lot fitter so not sure if it’s being fitter or stretching that helped).

jam-bo

nope.

but if I don’t stretch after running I’m crippled for days.

chiefgrooveguru

No, I’m always knackered. I do stretch quite a lot during the week though. I sometimes stretch just after the start of a ride (yes, I do yoga on the fireroads…)

mindmap3
    Free Member

I don’t for riding but do for other stuff like running.

I probably should do, but as I have to drive to ride I tend not to bother.

theotherjonv

I tried to get into this but not with any great success. It’s mainly hamstrings and lower back for me so i just do a few of those rather than 15 minutes full on.

I like her videos but can’t help thinking she looks like she has really big feet

craig24
    Free Member

Might give that a go, I take it that’s for post workout?

stewartc
    Free Member

Running, yes, definitely or I wouldn’t be able to walk the next day.

If a long ride, I’ll stretch to a pint or two.

theotherjonv

Yes, title says 15 minute post ride but the captions just say 15 minute Bike Yoga

There’s also about 6 or 7 minutes of breathing and relaxation stuff, the actual stretches are only about half the time

docgeoffyjones

i usually do some stretching and mobility before a ride which I definitely feel helps but usually find I am to tired after.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah, have to do at least a couple of types of stretches or my muscles feel all tingly at bedtime.

DezB
    Free Member

Hmm, I’ve been thinking the same. I really should.

I used to! When I was younger, more flexible and played other sports, I stretched when I got home every time. Don’t now, unless I have a particular stiff muscle. I will endeavour to do so, cos I know I should.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Nope never but I cool down easy ride start/end to warm up/down. Never stretched, warm up/down always. Same I guess but more focused on what your about to do. No injuries.

trumpton
    Free Member

I never do with no warm up or warm down. I find the lower back has a good workout after a ride, as do the legs.

Think I will try it although I hope it does not do more harm than good as I have never done it before and surley my body must need to readjust after.

I find having some protein ( well quite alot in a shake )  after a ride helps my muscles too, although thats another thread.

butcher

There seem to be varying opinions on whether it has any benefit or not, but my own experience has been very positive.

For around 10 years I’ve had aches in my glutes. Didn’t think much of it for a long time. It gradually got a little worse, not really bothering me so much on the bike, but more so afterwards. Eventually it got to the point I would sometimes have to stop the car and sort myself out after a ride because it ached so bad. Then it started bothering me sitting at work, driving home – basically all of the time. Couple of weeks of stretches after riding sorted it out completely (I did stretch before that, but had never found anything that actually stretched my glutes). It’ll start to come back again if I don’t stretch for a couple of months but a couple of days stretching sorts it out.

Generally I feel fresher and looser stretching after a ride. Removes all that stiffness. I am by nature completely inflexible, so that’s perhaps part of the reason I find it so invaluable.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Have a read of “becoming a supple leopard”, part self help,  part physiotherapy textbook.

The gist of it is you shouldnt need to stretch as long but you should make sure that your body is able to move through its full range of motions, but you shouldnt use them and instead concentrate on thinking through movements to keep the loads on your spine and joints as low as possible (the good old “lift with your legs not your back” but applied to every body part).

It’s a (very) big book, but worth reading at least a few chapters if like me youre constantly plagued by niggling or painfully injuries.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

“Eventually it got to the point I would sometimes have to stop the car and sort myself out after a ride because it ached so bad.”  Luckily this sentence is in context 🙂

Personally I dont habitually.  I’ll stretch a bit before starting a longer ride or run and the same post.  Guess I should.  I ticked yoga off the list last winter but its cost put me off continuing – perhaps at home with a Youtube guru would be a good idea as I did really enjoy it (although I was rubbish).

sirromj

It’s infrequent that I stretch immediately after a ride, mostly I’ll just leave it for a few hours later, or right before bed or just later in the week. Have never followed a full routine. For the past few years I’ve slowly been working out which flexibility and mobility movements and stretches etc work for me and building up a loose routine which I try to do 2 or 3 times a week. It’s a bit of a mix of stretching/yoga/mobility.

mrchrispy

hardly ever…..and by that I really mean never!

Really really should be I don’t know where to start

k1100t
    Free Member

paulneenan76 Yoga With Adriene is probably a good place to start. If you don’t like her, then there’s plenty of others…

k1100t
    Free Member

If anyone is interested in Becoming a Supple Leopard (as mentioned by thisisnotaspoon), then Kelly Starrett has a YouTube channel that’s worth checking out.

funkmasterp

Nope. I even try to skive off when at the gym too. It’s the only thing more boring than running. I end up doing it under duress 😕

mark90
    Free Member

After a ride I can generally stretch to a cup of tea and a cake.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Yes

At least 2 inches taller

rydster
    Free Member

I try to now I’m 40. My muscles tend to tighten up and I have back problems so stretching helps.

theotherjonv

Eventually it got to the point I would sometimes have to stop the car and sort myself out

Watching those Abi videos gives me a similar urge…..

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Yes.

Since maybe a year or so?

Marin
    Free Member

Yes and before and after driving. No more achy lower back.

ready

Started off doing the Abi videos which did benefit (I think) and now do a mix of Abi and SarahBeth Yoga.  Don’t do it as often as I should, but seems to help when I have a particularly sore back. Both easy on the eye too…

nparker

Only to reach my post-ride pint and pie.

mark90
    Free Member

I’ve been watching  Rhyanna Watson’s yoga channel on youtube, but that’s more entertainment value than yoga.

gooner69

Nope, static stretches are almost pointless.  Dynamic stretches however…

k1100t
    Free Member

So… Don’t be checking out Rhyanna Watson yoga videos at work. 😱

She’s not wearing much… 🤔

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Yes, if I don’t I’m in agony. I spoke to a guy and he gave me some MTB specific stretches. Feel 10 years younger

BigJohn

I tend to drink red wine when I get home then wait till I wake up at 3am with excruciating cramp and do my calf and hamstring stretches then.

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

I tend to stretch my hamstrings twice a day. Doesn’t seem to do much, but have recently found out I’m supposed to stretch my quads at the same time.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Do you stretch after riding?’ is closed to new replies.