Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Do you ride with an adjustable seat post and is it worth the ££££££???
  • dan98
    Free Member

Recently been looking at adjustable seat posts after someone i know has invested in a Pure racing Cobra KS900i.

Do you use one? Is it worth the £180 – £230 to get one? Has it drastically increased your riding skill and enjoyment?

Keep wanting to pull the trigger on one but something keeps saying mmmm….is it worth it!!!!

Welcome comments from anyone who uses one and had the same reservations!!

Cheers

rob-jackson
    Free Member

yes x 2

Without question the one purchase that has made the biggest difference to my riding.

You’ll get a dozen uber skilled mincers along in a bit to decry lowering your saddle, but for anyone who wants to get the most out of their ride, I would 100% advocate the purchase. Get the 950i though instead.

Oh, it hasn’t increased my skill – but I used to stop at the top of every steep descent to lower, or rode down every other descent with my CoG far too high.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Yes and yes, most definitely one of the better purchases I’ve made, at the risk of spending like a magazine article, just so much more flow, no stopping at the top to lower, and no stopping at the bottom, well apart from waiting for mates who are still fiddling about at the top!

Get one 🙂

honourablegeorge

Deffo worth it. Just becomes part of riding, drop it for descents, up for climbs, us it constantly without a thought – I’d say I almsot reach for the seatpost before I think of shifting.

jam-bo

I can fiddle with my saddle and still be at the bottom of the hill before my mates who have them 😉

But really, if someone came out with a decent looking one for 27.2 I’d be tempted. Til then I’ll stick with a Thompson.

craig1975
    Free Member

i have two, transformed my riding, I want go with out one now

convert

Yes and yes as long as it’s a remote one.

Don’t use mine in the winter clag though as switch bike to a mud plugger due to local conditions. Don’t have a lot of faith in them lasting well in proper grim condtions without a lot of tinkering.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Yes I do and yes it is. It hasn’t affected my skill level one bit; but it has added to my enjoyment from the point of view that I can just keep riding instead of dicking around with my saddle height, something I would always do as I feel more comfortable on descents with my saddle down to just above my knees. I would tend to leave my saddle there and just stand up for climbs, so I guess it’s actually the climbs that have been made better by the adjustable post.

Weather-proofing doesn’t require ‘lots of tinkering’, just a little common sense.

Matt24k
    Free Member

Go for it. If you are not convinced try riding a downhill and or tight cornered section with your seat in the standard position then start again with it lowered 3 inches. You will feel so much more in control and be going faster with the seat down. Then try a climb with the seat down and you will be faster with it up.
    I did the experiment and have been waiting the last 3 months for Rockshox Reverbs to come back into the UK. I have finally given up and currently have one half way between here and Germany from http://www.actionsports.de
    They quote 3 days delivery and it is 246 Euro including delivery. I would rather buy from a UK retailer but there was no stock of 30.9 x 380mm at a reasonable price.

dan98
    Free Member

Crikey thanks guys that’s a resounding YES IT IS WORTH IT….DAMMIT THERE GOES ANOTHER £180…FFS!!!!

Cheers

convert

Weather-proofing doesn’t require ‘lots of tinkering’, just a little common sense.

Educate me – I live is an area where bikes come back 7 or 8lbs heavier than they went out in the winter and when I rode normal gears (rather than Alfine and stainless chainring I use now) I went through a couple a sets of chainrings and 4 chains and casettes if I rode 4 or 5 nights a week over the winter – everything gets eaten! Do you makes yours a boot or just wash carefully after every ride?

To be fair its a non issue for me as anything steep enough to warrant dropping your seat is so treterous and you do so much damage to the trails that I only bimble the bridlways at that time of year.

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

I’ve always ridden everything with saddle up…can’t be arsed faffing about with saddle height. Having said that, splashed out on a reverb for the full sus and love it – great for twisty descents where I can position my body lower & also have more room to move the bike beneath me – don’t tend to drop on straighter stuff though.

Use hardtail for winter (local conditions eat bikes!) & that has a Van Nicholas post & whilst frame is dropper compatible (31.6) I doubt I’d fit one as the likelihood is it would need very frequent maintenance.

bigdonx
    Free Member

It’s not so much it makes you a better rider, but it lets you adjust your post in situations where you wouldn’t have bothered before. It’s only when you start doing this you realise what a wonderful thing an uppie/downie post is.

CheesybeanZ

yes ,they realy help my mincing, wish i had the money to put them on all my bikes 🙂

bs3eggs
    Free Member

yes really good, made my riding alot more fun. Recomend import a reverb from the us I got mine for alot cheaper than that including postage and no tax. Better post I think…used them both

Northwind

Yes and… Well… It’s not good value, they’re excessively expensive. But still yes, because there’s no cheaper alternative to do the same job. It makes such a huge difference to my riding, in fact even when i take the rigid bike out I usually fit the gravity dropper, going without suspension is fun but going without the dropper is just irritating.

convert – Member

Don’t have a lot of faith in them lasting well in proper grim condtions without a lot of tinkering.

Try a Gravity Dropper… The outer gaiter keeps most of the crap off and the inner seals deal with the rest. I’ve only serviced mine twice in the 2 years I’ve had it despite year-round use, and very little muck’s got in.

Dan1502
    Free Member

But really, if someone came out with a decent looking one for 27.2 I’d be tempted. Til then I’ll stick with a Thompson.

The X Fusion Hi-Lo is alright. The only thing is the lever is a bit stiff on the one on my wife’s bike (not sure if this can be solved or just how they are).

dan98
    Free Member

Anone know the best place in the UK to get the 950i with remote?? Only seem to be able to find it with the post lever!!!

is it worth the extra over the 900i though

Cheers

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Do you ride with an adjustable seat post and is it worth the ££££££???’ is closed to new replies.