Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Do you only buy from certain shops / brands when on sale?
  • crankrider
    Free Member

Coming from a different thread about pedals and only purchasing from Superstar when their products are on sale (very often the case) – are there any other brands / products / shops you only purchase from when there is a sale on? (bike related)

Superstar is one, on-one / PX, CRC to some extent, Nukeproof end of year sale is pretty decent on full bikes too – who else?

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s be a challenge to buy from CRC or Planet X when they were NOT having a sale.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

Rapha

wwaswas

Vulpine, Howies, most of the online bike shops for major parts and clothing purchases.

crankrider
    Free Member

chakaping – Member

It’s be a challenge to buy from CRC or Planet X when they were NOT having a sale.

CRC have a lot of lines that are discounted but not really on ‘sale’ as such – PX / On-one & Superstar perhaps get the crown for me.

The problem I find is a bit of ‘buyers anxiety’ then, when do you buy? at 20% off, 30% off? both of these did varying discounts over Christmas / New Year, PX even did a countdown…

Gary_M
    Free Member

Rapha usually, although years ago I used to pay almost full price. Now I know they have biannual sales on and discount codes every few months then why pay full price.

monkeyboyjc

Can’t remember the last thing I bought online at full rrp…..

binners

Like Chapaking, I always think of CRC as a sort of cycling Sports Direct

ads678

I rarely by anything at full price, bike related or not.

There’s always a sale somewhere.

pdw
    Free Member

I pretty much ignore any claimed discount. RRP is just an arbitrary number. I buy it if I think it’s a good price compared to other options, and not otherwise.

parkesie
    Free Member

Everything

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

The biggest issue I have with PX is unless it is something I need rather than desire, I’m always thinking that it will be at least the same price if not cheaper at a later date.

And what the heck was that last sale about? 20% off on the first day of the new sale on Boxing Day (or was it Xmas Day?), but the reduction reduced by 2% everyday at 0600. o_O

avdave2

DFS 🙂

cookeaa

Planet X you say?

Bless ’em… What sort of maniac would ever pay their “RRP”?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Intrepid apparel; I really like their clothing but only really buy it in the post Christmas sales which are normally pretty good.

petrieboy

Charles tyrwhitt shirts – 4 for a ton is fine value but you and I both know there’ll be a 5th one and a tie on offer tomorrow!

moonsaballoon

Morvelo , sale prices bring it into my justifiable price range .

crankrider
    Free Member

Must be difficult for places like Planet X and Superstar to manage business, I mean are RRP’s calculated with the inevitable sales in mind? Do they plan for the periods where sale volumes dip because everything is at RRP? What happens when you run out of excuses for a sale? – may as well just drop the RRP and be done with it in Superstars case at least, no re-sellers to get angry and all that and all their own stuff.

srshaw
    Free Member

Rapha. Bought a load of stuff with a 25% off code. If they send me another, I’ll buy some more.

I normally buy something from wiggle when they do the spend £200 and save £40. Currently looking at some exposure lights at evans which look well priced.

andy4d

Pdw +1.

I feel rrp is just a number. I work for a certain retailer and often see prices increase by x% in the weeks before a great save x% offer. It’s bollocks.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Rapha, morvelo normally has a code every so often.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

I tend to buy out of season winter boots in spring and summer gloves in November December

scotroutes

Polaris.

I’ve bought a few bits of clothing from their site and it’s all been decent quality at the price. However, I wouldn’t buy something at their RRP because I know it’ll appear in one of their regular sales. I’d prefer if they just reduced the RRP and maintained it.

With the likes of CRC I will buy things like chains, cassettes and brake pads when they’ve a deal on rather than wait until I need them.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Like Chapaking, I always think of CRC as a sort of cycling Sports Direct

using defunct heritage labels to brand cheap generic kit, inventing a BS rrp and selling at a ‘discount’, that’ll be Planet X. Who see Sports Direct as a role model.

https://rouleur.cc/editorial/planet-x/

As for who Loughran admires in the business world, the first name that comes up is Mike Ashley, the billionaire founder of Sports Direct, which operates more than 500 stores worldwide. Loughran has consciously followed the Sports Direct model

and +1 for buying Rapha at end of January when their winter sale has it’s biggest discounts and they release an extra 10% code in the final week. Also Castelli, nice kit which always seems to get heavily reduced (Gabba 3 half price at Merlin at the mo 😯 )

nickc

Must be difficult for places like Planet X and Superstar to manage business,

They manage very well. They know full well what the percentage of sales will be at what discount, it’s planned: x numbers of stock at full RRP, x+100 at 20% discount, x+50 at 30% discount at so on. Your discount price (the price at which you intend to sell most) dictates the full RRP, not the other way around.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I just buy whatever I feel is a good price compared to what it’s normally available for generally. However I will think twice based on the reputation (and maybe past experience) with some companies, plus check if there’s a catch (high shipping charges or very slow shipping, OEM version, older model, bits missing, possibly not even in stock despite claims otherwise which I’ve been caught out on a number of times). Likewise if it’s cheap because it’s really a front for an ebay store and it’s coming from China, or it’s a European store then I’ll do a lot of checking first.

If there’s not much difference, I may go for the store I trust more, or maybe LBS if they’re doing a reasonable price, and I want it now.

whitestone
    Free Member

PHD – it’s lovely stuff, you just need a second mortgage to buy it. A lot of the sales items are actually slightly different from the regular stuff – I bought a 0C rated jacket that’s 50g lighter than the standard 0C model and was £100 cheaper!

The lightweight stuff is very expensive but once you get to the kit for serious cold then even in the regular range it’s only about 25% more expensive than the equivalent from the “cheap” end of the spectrum such as Alpkit (I’ve got their stuff as well).

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Do you only buy from certain shops / brands when on sale?’ is closed to new replies.