Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Do you need to send your driving licence away
  • iolo
    Free Member

If you pass the motorcycle test?
    I’m doing my test on the 8th and going away for a few months on the 9th.
    Assuming I pass that is.
    In Austria it’s the law to have your license at all times when you drive otherwise the lovely Polizei fineing me.
    If I have to send it to DVLA I’m buggered to drive.

CountZero

If you’re going to be riding, then yes, I think you are, but if you’re driving a car, then keep the licence until you get back.
    Actually, even in the UK, should you get stopped without your licence on you, it might cause some problems if the DVLA have it in their labyrinthine clutches.
    On the other hand, I could be hopelessly wrong. 😀

Rockhopper
    Free Member

No requirement to carry your licence. If you get stopped and don’t have it you’ll be given a “producer” and be required to take your documents to a police station within seven days. That will be your opportunity to explain why you don’t have one!

Matt_SS_xc

I believe you have quite a long time to send it away. I had a similar case going away for months after passing. I think examiner said 6months….just ring DVLA and ask/examiner will know!

Plus good luck, passed my bike test last year and love it. Test was actually fine, no where near as nerve racking as car test because you feel more on your own.

simmy
    Free Member

I’m not too sure about bikes but, when passing a car test, you have 2 years to send off for your licence.

Most students just allow the examiner to send it off but they have the option of keeping their provisional and sending for the full licence themselves. Saves forgetting, driving for 5 years then realising you have no licence when you try to find it when you want to hire a van to move house……..

Just ring the test centre. The number will be on the confirmation E Mail you got when you booked your test. It will say only ring if high winds etc, but they are usually really helpful with enquiries like this.

rwamartin
    Free Member

You can choose to send the licence off yourself. However, if you let them do it for you, you will be given a receipt which is considered to be your licence whilst yours is being updated. A requirement to produce is satisfied if you produce that receipt. However, in Europe it may be another matter.
    I would err on the side of keeping the licence until you return from abroad.
    Pob Lwc. Mod 2 is easy. Mod 1 is the harder part.
    Rich.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Do you need to send your driving licence away’ is closed to new replies.