Do you need mud tyres on a 29er?

Home Forum Bike Forum Do you need mud tyres on a 29er?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Do you need mud tyres on a 29er?
  • Turnerfan1

Dunno yet,but have been using Ron 2.25 on the front and 2.1 Ralph over the summer.Coped with the mud quite well.Just switched to a Maxxis Beaver 2.0 for clearance on the back but reckoned the ralph coped quite well.
    Thanx Max

Premier Icon JohnClimber
    Subscriber

If it’s wet deep mud than you will definatly need mud tyres. Bontrager Mud-X’s are my choice when the going get’s bad, but that’s for up here in the North West.
    I’d guess for clay Mud-X’s would be perfect for digging in and not clogging up the gaps in between the lugs

Premier Icon Clink
    Subscriber

Wet mud no.

Claggy clay mud yes.

Mud-x works well on rear. Anyone compared it to Beaver and what wider tyre for rigid front in mud??

i’ve been using a conti race king on the back of mine, with no real issues in bristol… bit slippy from time to time, but nothing compared to mates riding 26″ all rounder tyres…

andyl

I have Beavers on mine – the knobs are actually a lot shorter than I expected for a mud tyre but they work very well. In fact they work very well on pretty much anything – dusty trails, muddy trails, wet rocks etc. I quite like riding up the streams that appear when it’s raining.

Wish they did a 2.4 version as I’d use that in the summer for extra volume (rigid fork).

jimw

I have used a Maxxis Ignitor at each end and this works very well in muddy conditions, excellent grip both ends, Also tried a Maxxis Aspen on the rear- lower rolling resistance but will slip a bit but still not too bad in mud

Premier Icon Clink
    Subscriber

Aspen is a remarkably good all-rounder for xc. It could do with beefier sidewalls though.

avdave2

Pedal On had a good deal on folding 29 mud x recently.

mcboo

Switched from 26 in the summer, couple of people I know did likewise last year and said they didn’t need to use mud tyres through the winter. Have 2.25 Rons and not much mud clearance on the back so I will likely get something narrower at the back anyway but what is everyone finding, do you find you need actual mud tyres? SE England, plenty of clay, used 26″ Mud-X over the last couple of years and rated them highly.

mcboo

So what’s the consensus for a rear 29er….mud-x or beaver? Anyone tried both?

Bazz

I also live in a clay area of the South east and all through last winter i ran Bontrager ACX front and rear, in fact i’ve run them all year due to the lack of dryness. In my opinion they give better grip than the Mud X i used to use on my 26er.

Premier Icon Clink
    Subscriber

Shame no longer made 🙁

Premier Icon shortcut
    Subscriber

I live in the south and you don’t need mud tyres at all!

Mud tyres are only necessary for Mountain Mayhem.

The above is based entirely on my own experience of riding in the south and avoiding the really horrible trails when it is wet!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Do you need mud tyres on a 29er?’ is closed to new replies.