• This topic has 103 replies, 61 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 24 posts - 81 through 104 (of 104 total)
  • Do you mind having your photo taken by strangers whilst out riding?
  • zaskar
    Free Member

I was filmed going uphill on my roadbike in the city (so I had to make sure it looked easy cough).

I don't mind as long as my GF doesn't see it and thinks I'm in work or the person makes millions out my pic and doesn't share but the likelyood of my pic making money is like winning the lottery.

Unless you're face ends up on crimewatch…

nedrapier

I agree that it would be a bit rude to take a photo of you walking at 5 yards without asking, but as others have said, it's totally impractical for him to ask permission, and no harm's done to you (really).

He's taking a photo because you're doing something interesting and which is a challenge to capture well, not because you are somebody interesting.

Vaguely related story which might give another perspective: My dad's garden back onto a big field where people walk their dogs. I was taking photos with a wide angle lens and waited for a guy with a dog to get to an aesthetic position within the field and took a few photos. You can barely see him in the photo, just that he's there in what's quite an abstract photo. He rang the doorbell 5 minutes later, really quite angry, demanding I tell him why I was taking his picture. Because he was so arsey, my inital reaction was really indignant: "Get over yourself! I don't know who you are, and I don't care! I'm not taking pictures of you, I'm taking pictures of a guy walking a dog in a field." Didn't say it quite like that, though.

Here's a question, nuke: Assume it's a technically good photo – well composed, well timed, in focus; Would you be happier if, when he's sorting the day's pics, he puts your photo in the "good" pile, or the "meh, boring" pile?

i reckon there's a little bit of photo slut in all of us.

bent_udder
    Free Member

Just a quick note on whether the trail is 'illegal' or 'cheeky' – it's neither. Telegraph Road is an access path for BT staff so they can work on the telephone poles that give the trail its name. BT actually did quite a bit of clearing earlier this year. Hurtwood Control knows about and tolerates the trail's use by mountain bikers quite happily. So if someone was out gathering evidence, they might have wasted a fair amount of time yesterday.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    racefaceec90

around 5-6 years ago,i was cycling on the ridgeway near avebury.as i rounded a bend,i noticed a photographer taking photos.as i was riding past him,he asked if he could take my photo for a wiltshire council leaflet "to show people the ridgeway"."yes,no problem" i said.it was nice of him to ask first.never knew if they used photo though (probably due to ugly bloke riding good bike,cannondale f 800 :-))

GrahamS

Hmm.. interesting this. I'm just home from pit-bitching at SITS this year and as usual I took along my camera and messed about taking photos of random punters riding bikes. Purely for my own entertainment and to improve my skills.

I did feel occassional pangs of guilt, but I tried to stay out the way and not set off the flash in anyone's face.

alp_girl
    Free Member

neverfastenuff's post reminded me of one time at CYB – someone was waiting to take pictures of his mates at the rocky bit just before where the final descent crosses the road to the car park; he didn't notice that his mates let me go first, so he took a picture of me instead 😛

Actually, reading this thread now I regret I didn't ask him for a copy, I don't have a lot of pictures of me riding…

Another time we were riding at Kirroughtree and an older couple asked whether they could take our picture on the bit where you go across the huge massive rocks (aaargh, forgot the name of that section) for a local photo competition – I was actually surprised they asked, I wouldn't have minded either if they'd just taken the picture.

hora
    Free Member

An open question to said-photographers. Are they chosing subjects who are wearing lycra or in 'great shape' by any chance?

theginjaninja
    Free Member

Anyone riding well.

nbt

If I'm in position to take a shot, I'll snap anyone who comes past

Bunnyhop

My friend Jo took a picture of me 'spending a penny' at Coed y Brenin. she then pinned it on the notice board at work.
    Now that's just bad form 😳

cinnamon_girl

At last some of you understand the courtesy angle 🙄

We have all evidently been bought up differently 😉

I know sfb loves good banter and I believe I have in the past extended him an invite to be shown our Southern trails. The one condition being that no girlie ar$e shots would be permitted!

gixer.john
    Free Member

"non biker" – you can't tell wheter the photographer was a biker or not. When i can't get out on the bike due to injury, weather, missus etc i will go for a few hours walk around Cannock or Mid Wales. There has been many a time i've snapped a few photo's of passing cyclists, and had a chat about the trails and conditions if they are riding the same section over and over.

Feel quite flatterd if someone can be bothered photographing me bimbling along at my own pace.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The one condition being that no girlie ar$e shots would be permitted!

you neglected to mention that – but how would it be enforced ?

cinnamon_girl

you neglected to mention that – but how would it be enforced ?

I'm VERY VERY resourceful 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

My friend Jo took a picture of me 'spending a penny' at Coed y Brenin. she then pinned it on the notice board at work.
    Now that's just bad form

Though not entirely uncommon if you enter the wrong (right?) keywords into youtube!

Didn't JojoA1 get snapped having mis-used a shewee and end up on a fetish site too?

jond
    Free Member

>At last some of you understand the courtesy angle

I don't *think* anyone specifically disagrees with the courtesy angle (unless I've missed something) – but frequently it's just plain impractical – as previously mentioned, either the moments lost, or someone's now more conscious of you taking a picture and it doesn't work so well.
    20-odd years ago I would have had no problem about taking photos without asking permission – and I never had anyone make an issue of it when they did notice. It seems to be a pity that there's some degree of low level paranoia nowadays. I actually feel distinctly uncomfortable taking pictures in public now, and as a mid-forties bloke with no kids in tow (tho' the GF might be lurking somewhere), god-forbid that there's a child in the frame ! Or maybe that's *me* being paranoid….

DrJ

Here are some videos of a REAL photographer at work !! 🙂

Jeff Mermelstein Video from Media Matters

theginjaninja
    Free Member

Great video.

redthunder
    Free Member

No. I don't mind 🙂

hora
    Free Member

JojoA1

Quite a looker isnt she?

aleigh
    Free Member

I don't mind cos I love myself 😉

knottie8
    Free Member

lol at aleigh !

I take loads of pics and rarely ask permission. I dont take many of CG because I know she doesnt like her photo being taken. If anyone else wants add themselves to the please dont take pics of me list then just tell me .

porterclough
    Free Member

Oh no, I just remembered I took a photo of some paragliders near Castleton last year on the basis it would make the photo more interesting than sky on its own. I now realise that they should have swooped down and stolen my camera in case I captured their soul.

Or… get over it? I've had people photo me when out mountain biking, for exactly the same reason I photographed the paragliders.

What about people with photographic memories, should they be blindfolded when out in public?

hora
    Free Member

I now realise that they should have swooped down and stolen my camera in case I captured their soul.

Sounds like a scene from Flash Gordon 😯

Viewing 24 posts - 81 through 104 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘Do you mind having your photo taken by strangers whilst out riding?’ is closed to new replies.