• This topic has 103 replies, 61 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 104 total)
  • Do you mind having your photo taken by strangers whilst out riding?
  • nuke

Out on the Surrey Hills today and as I rounded a corner on one of the well known singletracks and a guy (non-biker) started taking my photo. I just pedalled on but it did get me thinking about why he was doing it.

Now fair enough if its just you in the back ground but when you're actually the main focus of the photo it seems a bit weird…and also a bit rude; I wouldn't wait around the corner from a rambler or a horse rider and then start taking photos as they came into shot.

cinnamon_girl

I don't like having my photo taken full stop! Fortunately, when out riding in groups, people have been very considerate of my feelings and excluded me.

I know, I'm weird 🙄

Why didn't you stop and ask him why he did that?

saladdodger
    Free Member

get used to it cos how many times a day is your picture taken on cctv??

and you have NO choice

not a nice thought realy

nuke

Why didn't you stop and ask him why he did that?

I actually thought if I stop and start questioning him, he'd just take more photos!

get used to it cos how many times a day is your picture taken on cctv??

Fair point but that's kind of different IMO as its a lot more general low res video sort of thing of everyone where as this was a specific photo of me.

user-removed
    Free Member

Don't know why you'd worry about it – are you afraid he'll go home and crack one off looking at it?

I'd be flattered (I think!).

allthepies
    Free Member

sfb on his holidays ?

G
    Free Member

not even slightly bothered…. anyone who willingly takes a picture of me is only moment away from being sectioned anyway, why should I deny them that help?

nuke

Don't know why you'd worry about it – are you afraid he'll go home and crack one off looking at it?

😆

Well, just trying to gauge whether I'm being a bit paranoid. Like CG, I just don't like having my photo taken.

sfb on his holidays ?

Don't think so as it was taken face on rather than rear on 😉

djglover
    Free Member

No, what you describe is a bit weird, but at races and the like, why not, especially if it is a moment of radness!

singlespeedstu

Don't go out for a ride with sheldon then.

Not only does he take your picture, he asks you to go back and do it again cause he didn't catch it right the first time.

ton

barnes does it all the time.
    he is a sneeky barsteward too.
    he always gets me in a relaxed muscle pose…………… 😉

tails
    Free Member

maybe he was taking a photo of the lovely view then you got in the way 😉

nuke

Although not keen, I don't mind people I know taking my photo and would also expect that people get photos taken of them at races/events. Just gets a bit uncomfortable when your just out in the countryside and its a stranger.

maybe he was taking a photo of the lovely view then you got in the way

Maybe but he seemed to be…waiting 😯

Grimy
    Free Member

Probably an ametour photographer just looking for something new to shoot. My shift partners a very keen photographer and part of a camera club, which always have little competitions to shoot certian subjects, still life, sports, nature, night shots, you get the idea. I wouldnt get up tight about it, perhaps be pleased you were worth taking a picture off.

flange
    Free Member

I take photos of anyone and anything just to get practice with my camera. It's nothing weird, you're just a good subject for photographing 'motion'! If I've taken photos at a race then I'd put them online incase you'd want a copy – if you asked me to take the photo down then I'd do it no problem. I shouldn't worry about it…

Next time, stop and give them your email address. I'm sure they wouldn't mind swapping a free photo for your modeling.

(Mrs Flange)

grumm
    Free Member

Isn't it illegal in France or something? Not too bothered personally – if someone really wants a picture of me mincing slowly down a hill they are welcome to it.

iDave
    Free Member

what's the problem? its a photo of you on a bike, not your inner soul extracted and imprinted on satan's wallpaper. do you expect it'll be next months Hello?

john_drummer
    Free Member

what grimy said

samuri
    Free Member

No problem from me. Take as many as you like, it's your funeral.

cinnamon_girl

It's intrusive. Common courtesy should be used and permission requested.

nuke

So a 'No, I don't mind' for you then idave. Just asking the question to see what others think.

Probably as flange and grimy said, maybe just an amateur photographer.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

sfb on his holidays ?

Don't think so as it was taken face on rather than rear on

1) I do faces too 🙂
    2) but I never take holidays
    3) and certainly not in the Sarf 🙂
    4) and I was in Calderdale today

stranger danger:
    (I have no idea who)

Common courtesy should be used and permission requested.

dream on :o)

cinnamon_girl

sfb – why should I "dream on"?

And what's wrong with holidaying in "the Sarf"?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

sfb – why should I "dream on"?

because it aint gonna happen!

And what's wrong with holidaying in "the Sarf"?

mucho flatto 🙁

cinnamon_girl

I am not claiming that it's intrusive cos I'm female, it just isn't right! Feel free to point out my self-esteem issues though 😉

Not all of "the Sarf" is flat! We had a really nice ride today in Wiltshire and the views were stunning. Even bagged a couple of white (chalk) horses!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Not all of "the Sarf" is flat!

sorry, I've seen it – even the unflat bits are flat :o)

cinnamon_girl

Well, managed to impress a couple of Quantocks riders recently. knottie really enjoyed the Chilterns but of course the ride was accompanied by many red kites and deer.

You don't necessarily need a lot of height for good riding 🙂

langy
    Free Member

was it a cheeky trail? maybe it's gonna be used by the local walkers to prove a point about bike riders on foot paths!!!! 😯 🙄 😉

joemarshall
    Free Member

You're in public – there's nothing wrong with people taking pictures in public. Loads of people take pictures of me out riding, it doesn't make any difference to me.

If he started following you around to take the pictures, that would be weird, but just snapping pictures of random people riding, don't see the problem, or what harm it does to them?

I've taken pictures of random people on horses / walkers on the top of hills, surfers on beaches etc. If someone asked me not to then I guess I might not take a picture of them, but otherwise I don't see the problem.

Joe

woffle
    Free Member

It's intrusive. Common courtesy should be used and permission requested.

I'm inclined to agree – slightly different if it were me pedaling away in a group / in the far distance but where I was the sole focus etc I'd likely as not stop and at very least ask what the score is. Personally I don't like being snapped without knowing what it's being used for / being asked.

Also:

mucho flatto

You've obviously not been down to the Weald then…

miketually
    Free Member

If you're in a public place, it's perfectly legal to take photos of anyone you like.

clareymorris

I honestly cannot see what the issue is here………….really I can't.

rOcKeTdOg

i always carry a model consent form with me and get the subject to sign their permission and also sign away any rights they have to royalties i might gain from the photo…..*evil cackle*

stevomcd
    Free Member

Happens all the time really. A lot of walkers seem to stumble across the DH courses and then hang around to take photos of the loons to show to their friends back home. Similarly on the more remote trails, if there's some bit of gnarliness in the middle of nowhere. On the rare occasion that there are walkers (or indeed anybody) around, they often take photos, presumably to start a "look what these idiots were riding down" conversation when they get back home…

Ti29er
    Free Member

As a professional photographer, you of course have no legal rights to the image if it was taken in a public space. There are some exceptions, but assuming there's no trespass, no nudity, no overt agression, and a few other obvious caveats, then typically you have to accept it.

If you approach the photographer I'm sure 99.9% of the time they'd be happy to either explain the project they're working on & /or delete said image as you wish.

The tone of the conversation would be entirely dictated by you. If you ask rather than instruct from the outset I feel sure there's nothing malicious intended – you might even get a copy of said picture for your troubles (you might even appreciate it in years to come!).
    Tim

mt
    Free Member

could be a terrorist planning the next target It's what you get accused of round here if the bobbies and pretend bobbies see you taking pictures. Alternatively it could be some one with a fetish for bikes and there riders, their'll be at home now with there grubby fingers all over you.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

You've obviously not been down to the Weald then…

I was speaking from a position of profound ignorance, just trying to wind up c-g :o)

clubber
    Free Member

C'mon Simon, play fair, that's just shooting fish in a barrel 😉

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

mucho flatto

Err not really. While I accept there are no mountains, some of the ranges of hills are quite hilly. Rides are more "up-down-up-down-up-down etc" than once up, along and down". And while it isn't non-stop rocks, there's innumerable rooty, woodland singletracks.

IMO, there are some very good places in the south to take a mountain bike holiday; Why not pop down for a weekend forum ride? We're doing the Mendips next Sunday – see the thread about this – you'd be treated like visiting royalty.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

you'd be treated like visiting royalty.

ha ha, what you actually mean is you'd throw rocks at me till I shut up 🙂 I have ridden in the south a few times, and realise that the up-down-up-down is just as tiring as more sustained climbing, and that beauty does not depend on altitude!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘Do you mind having your photo taken by strangers whilst out riding?’ is closed to new replies.