Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 228 total)
  • Do you like where you live?
  • PiknMix
    Free Member

Having a chat with a few workmates a common theme was that that hated the area in which they lived in.

I went through this with the wife whilst living in Sheffield so we moved to where she was born in Perthshire and have improved our life by an infinite amount. I guess not everyone has the luxury of being able to make such a big upheaval but do you like where you live?

kerley
    Free Member

I absolutely love where I live.  Right in the middle of New Forest in a small village where I can walk 50 metres up the road and be in the trees or ride onto some singletrack and fire roads.  Very quiet, very clean air, nice neighbours.

It wasn’t cheap though…

dknwhy

Yep, I certainly do and it’ll surprise some people that I live in Croydon, South London!

Obviously I’d like to be in the mountains or near a beach but at my current time of life, living here really suits.

I’ve got a good job. It’s exciting to see the recent changes to the town and the massive changes that are about to happen. London is on my doorstep. Countryside is within cycling distance. Transport links are good. Some parts are a bit crappy along with some of the people but you get that everywhere.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Took advantage of 2017’s silly house prices and sold up for nearly four times what I paid. Moved from a grubby maisonette above an Indian restaurant located between two traffic-heavy roads with no garden, to a small town in some Spanish mountains.

Small single-story house, garden, orange trees, plunge pool, best friends as neighbours, warm sun in the Autumn into winter. Hot days for 70% of the year, low cost of living…

Take a guess. 🤗

jeffl

Live in Chesterfield. It’s a standard small town. I like the bit we live in, good schools, friends and lots of local shops.

However the best part is being so close to the Peak District. We could be closer if we lived the other side of town but those areas don’t have as many local amenities.

Do sometimes think that I’d like to live a lot closer to the Peak District, or in it, but then the kids would be brought up in a really small village and they probably wouldn’t appreciate that.

whitestone
    Free Member

Pretty much yes. Only fly in the ointment is that it’s in Yorkshire.

kayak23

Royal Leamington Spa.

#livingthedream

fasthaggis

Very much.

kelron
    Free Member

No, not really. My flat is nice enough, it’s very convenient for work and shops, but the riding is shit and it’s so hard to get away from traffic and urban areas.

Living in Kent but would like to find a job in the north, with a vague idea of moving abroad eventually.

Kryton57

Yep, I certainly do and it’ll surprise some people that I live in Croydon, South London!

Obviously I’d like to be in the mountains or near a beach but at my current time of life, living here really suits.

I’ve got a good job. It’s exciting to see the recent changes to the town and the massive changes that are about to happen. London is on my doorstep. Countryside is within cycling distance. Transport links are good. Some parts are a bit crappy along with some of the people but you get that everywhere.

This, but for North London.   We are lucky to have a generous house, garden and double garage leading out to a private court.  We couldn’t afford our house nowadays.   The main issue I have is with inconsiderate people – I’m seemingly less able to ignore “people” noise” from outside e.g. standing in the street at 2am talking, this mornings pavement slab cutting at 7:20am by BT, or waking up to find someone had dumped the now empty contents of McDonalds out of thier car window into the street pisses me off.

I’d quite like to think we could retire to a quiet hamlet with polite or no neighbours and some glorious landscape for pooling on a RocketFlareMax-alike when we retire.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Settle, love it. Might not stay here for ever but it’s been great so far (4 years).

perchypanther
    Free Member

Yes, I love where I live, even though it is universally acknowledged as a post apocalyptic shithole.

If you can see past  that, though, the advantages are enormous.

I live within easy commuting distance of two major cities. Transport links are good to both.

I can be on either the M8 and M74 within 10 mins of leaving the house and the M80 in 20 mins.  I can be in the Tweed valley in 45 mins

I am able to live in a very nice 7 bedroom detached house with a huge garden for less than some people pay for a one bedroom flat.

The town is right on the outside edge of the urban sprawl of Glasgow so I can jump on my bike and be in the proper countryside in minutes.

It might be a post industrial wasteland but I love it

rone

Love the location and the area generally but I hate the way people act around here. Brexit illness.

North Nottinghamshire.

neilco
    Free Member

West Ledeerville, Perth. Moved here from Copenhagen, which I thought would be hard to beat, but it does.Great little suburb with good facilities and school, walking distance to bars/restaurants/coffee yet still quiet, walking distance to work. Kids still run up and down streets to each others houses. Close enough to the city if I want and close enough to some of the best beaches you’ll find. Only came down here for three years max., 4.5 years ago, and can’t see us leaving anytime soon.

Downside is distance from anywhere else, but if you’re prepared to fly then that goes away. The flip side to this is that if you hop in your car and drive a few hours, you’ll see some amazing scenery that’s still pretty untouched.

kilo

Yes, we have lived in Wimbledon for the last 20 years. Nice park opposite the house, Wimbledon common and Richmond park nearby. Great for work in central London with good public transport and reasonable cycling routes in as well. Can be in Surrey hills reasonably quickly and on the cx bikes can be off road out to the hills with only a couple of miles of road. The area is safe and has a lot of families bringing up kids, has good restaurants, a high quota of middle class toss options and cinemas and is fairly diverse culturally. Good local pub, Hop Back brewery two streets away. Traffic can be a pita but for working in London it’s great. Long term may move to the complete opposite in rural Ireland but that has as many issues as living in a city.

sadexpunk

not toooo bad in lincoln, its a nice city as cities go, and we’re in a village just outside.  luckily i dont have to do the rush hour commute, whenever i do have to drive through that particular nightmare im eternally grateful for the fact that my job isnt 9-5.  id prefer yorkshire if i could choose elsewhere in the uk.

im 54 with a plan to live in italy when im 60, but…… plans dont always work out.  something to aim for tho.

shooterman

Yes. I live in a small village and I enjoy the familiarity within the community.

The downside is poor public transport links. I don’t work locally and have to do a 70 mile commute on B roads each day. It’s like paying a second mortgage.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yes.

Otherwise, I wouldn’t live there.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I live on the beach in a fabulous part of the South Coast.. you’d think I’d love it wouldn’t you..

Well it has it plus points, plenty of water sports and beaches and the leafy brackish shorelines and yachts and boats and all sorts..

Butt..

Its actually full of inconsiderate morons, most of them are easily identifiable so it’s fairly easy to manoeuvre around them.. but that’s not what should happen in your life right?

So, after 26 years I’m considering moving.

I’ve been lucky, I bought an apartment in London to allow me to work and walk home within 15mins, sold that a couple of years ago after the referendum just before prices lost 20% so happy that I did that then.. that does allow me to make more informed choices now..

Its just I have to decide where I want to live..

So 50/50 really

sadexpunk

So 50/50 really

surely you mean 0.33%?

gallowayboy

Yes. Love it. When we moved to Calderdale I thought it’d be a short term thing before going back to Scotland, but there’s more life here than I could get in Scotland, we’ve got decent jobs, friends and argh! a son who’s a genuine Yorkshire lad!  And i’ve got lovely countryside outside the door (alright it doesn’t go on infinitely to a beautiful coastline – you cant have everything). Stuck here, cant see us moving – its not where i’m from but its home.

transporter13
    Free Member

In the grand scheme of things I can think of a lot worse places to live than Kettering.

Small town mentality and slightly behind the times with regards to life but there is a lot of countryside for road rides if that’s your thing. Centrally located so I can get to a fair bit of riding up and down the country to ride within a 2 hour drive in any direction.

Swings and roundabouts..

gobuchul
    Free Member

I live on the coast in North Northumberland.

Love it.

Surrounded by beautiful beaches and 30 minutes drive from the last English wilderness.

We have a lovely house, built 1820’ish.

Really strong sense of community in the village and the Mrs runs a business from home.

No intention of moving anywhere soon.

cp

We’re in Sheffield and both really like it!

kennyp
    Free Member

Two minute walk from front door to Pentland hills. 20 minute bike ride to the centre of one of the most beautiful and vibrant cities in the world. Biggest arts festival in the world every August. Tons of great restaurants. Lovely leafy 900 year old village. Nice house. Great neighbours. 30 minute drive to Glentress.  A three hour drive and I’m in the heart of the Cairngorms. Loads of loads of amazing countryside to walk and bike in, with some of the best access laws in the world.

Okay, the weather could be better but other than that can’t think of a better place in the world to live.

hodgynd
    Free Member

100%..and more !

I live in Bellingham ” Capital Of The North Tyne ” & “Gateway To The Cheviots” ..in a fairly new but modest 3bed semi ..with a million dollar view of the North Tyne Valley ..

The mountain biking in the area is fantastic ..and I feel so lucky being here ..

franksinatra

I live on the coast in North Northumberland

Whereabouts? We live just over the Border but spend a lot of time in Alnmounth, Alnwick, Bamburgh, Beadnell areas and it is a lovely place to be. It was actually our decant plan in the event of the independence referendum going the wrong way!

matt_outandabout

I’m struggling to imagine a better place for us as a family at the moment.

Green, clean, safe, ace schools, brilliant riding, mountains up the road, employment, good transport, great voluntary clubs for the kids etc.

tjagain

I live on the Shore in Leith in a quirky flat.  I have offices below me and 3 flats in the attic where I am  so almost no noise issues.  I have 25+ eating and drinking establishments with 400m, I have a beach a couple of miles away, I have Edinburgh centre a couple of miles away.  Fantastic public transport, I can cycle out to the hills of the pentlands offroad.  I can cycle out of the city in half an hour but have all the facilities of a city to hand.  I have fantastic 360 degree views – the pentlands, corstorphine hill, bass rock, the forth, Edinburgh castle and arthurs seat, its a 5 min cycle to work.  I have no need nor desire to own a car.

downsides – shopping is poor locally especially for food.  Its 8 miles to the hills,  its 104 stairs to my flat and everything has to go up the stairs, Edinburgh city council is the worst I have come across

trailwagger
    Free Member

Very relevant question for me. The wife and me are desperate to move, but it would mean moving away from my daughter who currently spends 50/50 time with me and her mum (ex wife) So, as much as I want to move and as much as I am sure it would improve our quality of life, it feels like I would abandoning my little girl and I just cannot do it.

timbog160

Huddersfield and loving it!  And Doctor Who is from here too!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mountains to the right of me , hills to the rear of me and the sea to the left.

I’m happy.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Mountains to the right of me , hills to the rear of me and the sea to the left.
    I’m happy.

Aberystwyth?

Drac

Yup Iive in the North so it’s ace.

Loads of countryside, hills, beaches and steeped in history.

No idea about Dr Who connections.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I used to love Northampton but now it’s a dump. I’d leave in a heartbeat if it wasn’t for my daughter. I can’t move away from her as it would further reduce the amount of time I see her for.

petec
    Free Member

Small village on the Thames, surrounded by NT countryside, loads of hills and bridleways, excellent road cycling. Got a 300 acre wood out of the back door

In an AONB so won’t be built on, unlike most of the towns nearby.

The only downside – to me – is the number of deer, and the number of ticks we get just walking in the back garden

Ben_H

Middle of Bristol – love it.

Trails near my doorstep, walk and cycle everywhere, likeminded neighbours, thriving local high street, good eats and beer.  Rubbish air quality and growing popularity is about all that spoils it.

bowglie

Love the location and the area generally but I hate the way people act around here. Brexit illness.

North Nottinghamshire.

Ditto!

gobuchul
    Free Member

Whereabouts? We live just over the Border

Seahouses, well actually North Sunderland, the old part of the village and away from the fish and chips.

ton

NO, I live in a village in south leeds. it is shyte.

proper gods waiting room.

leeds center is ok I suppose.

been trying to get the wife to up sticks for years to somewhere in Scotland.  maybe one day.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 228 total)

The topic ‘Do you like where you live?’ is closed to new replies.