Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 188 total)
  • Do you like trail centres?
  • whitestone
    Free Member

@swoosh – well I’ve ridden at: Laggan; Ft William; All the seven Stanes; Kielder; Grizedale; Gisburn; Dalby; Betws (Marin); Coed y Brenin; Forest of Dean; Swinley. It’s not enjoyment vs dislike, I don’t find it satisfying.

@fergal – Junkyard has it. In the context of mountain biking it means “not designed for bikes”.

@aide – a mixture, sometimes on my own sometimes with a group which might be from five to twenty.

whitestone
    Free Member

A bit too late to edit the above.

In addition to the comment about company, I ride alone and with others on natural BWs as well as at trail centres. If it wasn’t for company then I almost certainly wouldn’t go to trail centres at all.

Perhaps a good way of explaining my feelings are that I can’t remember ever thinking: “That was great! I must come back here.” after riding at a trail centre.

fergal
    Free Member

I will admit that is the general meaning, not in my world! Natural singletrack is the benchmark.

nastybuller you mean a bit boring like natural riding…kittylitter, waterbar, stone paving…kittylitter, waterbar (bunny hop), hisss.. stone paving..

gowerboy

“I have seen things you fatbikers wouldn’t believe..Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.. C beams glittering in the dark.. near the Tanhauser gate..all memories lost in time, like tears in rain…”

Just your average trail center blast!

Yes, you can find mushrooms at trail centres too 🙂

montgomery
    Free Member

I used to be a bit dismissive of trail centres, so out of curiosity I put together this project last year. I enjoyed the mix enough that I’ll be doing something similar in Scotland at the end of next month. Joining up trail centres with natural riding, trains at each end – best of all worlds.

Poopscoop

To answer the original question, they aren’t for me.

I don’t know why but I just like riding tracks that have been there since way before bikes were even thought of. I like the history of the tracks, they exist because they had a purpose many moons ago even if now only used for leisure. The deep cut V shape in a bank higher than my height from generations of travellers and rain eroding it away.

I find it hard to explain really,a track purpose made for bikes and designed with only that purpose in mind just doesn’t do it for me.

All of the above said,I have zero issues with people that think the exact opposite.

It’s all riding bikes at the end of the day.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I’m not really a fan, I find they don’t really work well for tandems (too much grounding and tight corners, better riders might disagree!) and I prefer more open riding with views. However my wife enjoys them for all the reasons others have mentioned so sometimes I go for a run while she rides round which works out pretty well for both of us.

faz71

@Poopscoop
    I’ve just started reading The Old Ways by Rob McFarlane on that very subject. I think you would enjoy it.

vickypea
    Free Member

I just love getting out on my bike. I’m lucky having Peak District rides from the front door but I also like trail centres for a good whoosh round for a couple of hours. At least with a trail centre you can be confident of there not having to slow down for pedestrians every few minutes. It also depends what kind of riding you like, but I love a big day out on natural trails. I also love technical climbs and you don’t get so many of those at trail centres. Other prefer to do big jumps with minimal uphill pedalling.

nickfrog
    Free Member

How can you “actively avoid” trail centres and fail to avoid starting a thread about them ?

Odd, even by STW’s passive aggressive standards.

chestrockwell

I’ve rode some absolutely amazing trail centres

I’ve rode some absolutely crap trail centres

I’ve rode some absolutely amazing natural stuff

I’ve rode some absolutely crap natural stuff

As long as you’re enjoying it and having fun it doesn’t matter where you ride

If you go out your way not to ride trail centres you’re basically just an edge lord

This for me. Riding my bike is fun.

whitestone
    Free Member

How can you “actively avoid” trail centres and fail to avoid starting a thread about them ?

You are missing the point of the questions! It’s about what others might see in trail centres that I don’t.

IHN

I don’t know why but I just like riding tracks that have been there since way before bikes were even thought of. I like the history of the tracks, they exist because they had a purpose many moons ago even if now only used for leisure. The deep cut V shape in a bank higher than my height from generations of travellers and rain eroding it away.

I find it hard to explain really,a track purpose made for bikes and designed with only that purpose in mind just doesn’t do it for me.

All of the above said,I have zero issues with people that think the exact opposite.

Yup.

martinhutch

…or getting caught in the rain…? 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You are missing the point of the questions! It’s about what others might see in trail centres that I don’t.

I’m getting the hint that the point of the question is:

“Look at me, I don’t ride trail centers”

…or getting caught in the rain…?

We need the OP’s opinion on Pina-colada

whitestone
    Free Member

Pina-colada – very 1970s, I have one with my Prawn Cocktail 😆

It’s not that I don’t ride trail centres, it’s that I prefer not to. There’s a difference, it’s not even a subtle difference. (and it’s spelt “centre” 😉 )

kennyp
    Free Member

The best natural rides are better than any trail centre rides.

The worst natural rides are worse than any trail centre rides.

mjsmke

I prefer natural trails but here they are often busy with walkers and dogs so trail centers are better at busy times of the year. It’s so nice being able to ride quickly knowing the only other people out there are also on bikes. Some quicker and some are slower but that doesn’t bother me. They’re are all into the same thing and lots are up for a chat too.

Poopscoop

faz71 – Member

@Poopscoop

I’ve just started reading The Old Ways by Rob McFarlane on that very subject. I think you would enjoy it.

Nine find mate, just read up on it thanks to you, going to order that!

Thanks for the recommendation.

scotroutes

Here’s a couple to get you going Bob.

(a) When conditions are really shit and you know you’ll be creating/contributing to trail erosion, a trail centre is more likely to have a weather-resistant design and surface. It’s also more likely to be maintained.

(b) For skills practice. Trail centre features are generally designed to be ridden and are often accessible in a manner that lets them be ridden repeatedly. On a longer “natural” ride I’m very unlikely to go back over something, even if I was crap the first time. And those skills also apply to natural rides when you take them on again.

FWIW, I’ve been to Laggan and Glentress once each this year – about half what I did in the whole of 2016.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t know why but I just like riding tracks that have been there since way before bikes were even thought of.

Me too, but it’s not an exclusive thing. Just because I like that doesn’t also mean I can’t like trail centres.

Plus most of these old roads have been tarmacked and turned into country lanes. And most of the main local trails here are old access tracks to small workings that have disappeared, but they probably date back to the era of the bicycle’s invention.

Poopscoop

Pic of what I tried to describe earlier.
    Long flowing trail with a pretty steep gradient. Banks on either side much taller than me with the trees almost making it a tunnel. Riding it at night is incredible. See the badgers roaming about to.

Different every time I ride it. Branches across the tail, huge pieces of flint or chalk thrown down onto it by the burrowing badgers. It almost has a personality of its own.

That links to this monolith eventually.
    The White Horse Stone. Lots of little “remembrances” tied to the trees near it by new age types or people that just want to make a memory there. To say they passed.

Romantic rubbish but that’s why I love natural trails. They don’t care about me and definitely not the bike. I’m just the latest traveller to pass through them.

Again, not putting down tail centres. Just trying to express what I love about where I ride. It’s a personal thing isn’t it?

Ride what you love.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Get yer shovel out, make that big stane a drop off.

Sorted.

Poopscoop

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Get yer shovel out, make that big stane a drop off.
    Sorted.

Yeah,I kind of deserved that didn’t I? 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

😆

iainc

At least you weren’t overbiked for it … 😀

Poopscoop

iainc – Member
    At least you weren’t overbiked for it …

Oi! I mince in style mate! 😀

iainc

Yep, me too ! (Before nobeer says it ! ) 🙂

Waderider
    Free Member

Natural trails all day long. The fact red can become black in a second. That puddle might be 12ft deep etc.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Both, either, whatever is best.
    When I was in the lakes being able to bounce around Whinlatter when everything else was sodden was great or nip up after work for a solo ride knowing that you wouldn’t be out alone.
    7 Stanes, N Wales and the S Wales stuff gives a lot of bang for your buck riding and great social days out there. Being able to give it a little more knowing nobody is climbing bu the trails is great.

Other parts of the world having some nice man made steep and rocky trails, stuff that can’t be rolled and other proper features makes for a great day out. Mix it up with some uplifts and off you go.

It also keeps you well away from the “Don’t you know I never ride TC” types which is a bonus

Poopscoop

iainc – Member
    Yep, me too ! (Before nobeer says it ! )

Hypocrite! 😀 😉

chiefgrooveguru

The concept of “natural trails” vs “trail centres” is an interesting one. I know it’s different on open ground, but in the woods of the south where I often ride we have tons of fantastic singletrack plus gnarlier downhill runs – none of it is “trail centre”, almost none of it is official, merely tolerated, and almost none of it would be rideable if the trails hadn’t been made by mountain bikers.

Because they’re unofficial the surface is natural but the shape of the trails, the berms, the jumps, the drops, are built almost as much as at trail centres but with a lot more randomness!

scotroutes

I know it’s different on open ground, but in the woods of the south where I often ride we have tons of fantastic singletrack plus gnarlier downhill runs – none of it is “trail centre”, almost none of it is official, merely tolerated

I do think many folk are making a false assumption that non-trail centre = some featureless moorland. Much of what I ride locally falls into the stuff you mention above.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Dunno. Never been to a ‘trail centre’.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

Why the quotes? It’s what they are called.

molgrips
    Free Member

Mountain biking is one of those activities that can be either an outdoor pursuit or an extreme sport. The actual riding can be pretty similar, but in ethos trail centres are on one side of the line and bridleways are on the other.

Doesn’t matter though. It’s just lines. Ride what you like. For me, that’s all of it.

Poopscoop

^^ Absolutely mate. Ride what you love.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

either an outdoor pursuit or an extreme sport. The actual riding can be pretty similar, but in ethos trail centres are on one side of the line and bridleways are on the other.

Which is which? I can put examples of both that are on both sides of that line.

scotroutes

Nah.

Lots of mountain biking sport takes place outside of trail centres and it’s certainly not an extreme sport for most folk riding at trail centres – it’s a leisure pursuit.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 188 total)

The topic ‘Do you like trail centres?’ is closed to new replies.