Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 188 total)
  • Do you like trail centres?
  • matt_outandabout

I’m a mincer. The choice of trail won’t change that.

+1

The trails are not the limiting factor here. It’s me and the limited time available in which I can ride.

+1, however having two teenage sons who love a good trail centre blast has changed things…

zinaru
    Free Member

for me, its natural trails instead of trail centres every time. i love exploring, finding new stuff and to be honest, i want to get away from everything (riding alone 99.9) and be out in nature. im into finding overgrown trails snaking through forests or over moors and hills. and being in scotland, i can go everywhere.

having said that, i do think trail centres are great as an entry point for beginners, families, learning skills as well as creating more of a community of like minded folk. some of the riding looks great fun and challenging as well. its just never been something ive thought about too much despite living 20 miles from glentress and inners…

joebristol

I love trailcentres and would say 90% of my rides are at one.

It seems not to be fashionable at all in here to do this, and much more acceptable to be out natural riding with a map etc.

I don’t mind either type of riding, but I don’t have the time and navigation skills to go natural riding unless I’m with a mate who knows where he’s going.

For me I can rock up at a trailcentre and pick a trail and just ride it for fun without getting lost. All my recent experience of natural riding also seems to involve more mud and getting scratched by brambles / ferns etc. Never had that at a trail centre.

whitestone
    Free Member

Strangely Joe, I’d have said that as someone whose riding is the polar opposite to yours that I was definitely in the minority on here!

From your last paragraph it sounds like the outdoors isn’t for you 😉 (tongue firmly in cheek!)

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

done few trail centres sherwoodpines, hamsterly, gizburn, llandegla
    they were all fun but its all designed to ride smooth and the rock gardens are a joke.

much prefer the pennines or peaks with a plan in my head exploring.

amedias
    Free Member

@perchy, well the inferred conclusion that you would get no benefit from going to one.

I totally get the pilot being the limit thing, but it’s entirely possible to have more or different fun in different places, simply because they are different, you might still enjoy mincing somewhere else. The time limit is obviously a big one for you but I didn’t intend this to be a deconstruction of your individual motives, like I said, I didn’t mean to single you out, it was a comment on the type of comment 😉

iainc

Nobeerinthefridge – Member

next thing you’ll be acknowledging the virtues of the xc course at Cathkin…

That’s a race course, not a trail centre. Generally racing away from staffies/junkies/neds and middle aged faceplanters…[/quote]

y’know, I’ve been there a bit more recent months, largely with coaching duties etc, and it’s grown on me, a little. Also seems much less of the ned element, hope it stays that way – there is a chunk of funding now for building a hub/cafe etc, but down in Castlemilk in an old church, which will have challenges…

tazzymtb

I like trail centres, great for taking my lad to play in berms and stuff, ace for mosh around when the local cheeky stuff will be axle deep slop as well.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

there is a chunk of funding now for building a hub/cafe etc, but down in Castlemilk in an old church, which will have challenges…

That’s been spoken of since the commie games, pie in the sky. Castlemilk for a coffee and cake? F that!

poah
    Free Member

depends on the trail centre. CYB didn’t do anything for me although the foundry was pretty good. GT hasn’t had much investment in the last 10 years in terms of trails (not including the off piste stuff) so is a bit boring after a while. Comrie croft is ace although small as it has a good range of trails that are both naturally technical and flowy. Inners is good if got the uplift but climbing up is a bitch. The off piste stuff in tweed valley is pretty good though. I like taking the bike on actual hills and mountains as well, there is such a range of places to visit within 90mins of Glasgow that you can effectively a different place each week and not repeat.

poah
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge – Member

next thing you’ll be acknowledging the virtues of the xc course at Cathkin…

That’s a race course, not a trail centre. Generally racing away from staffies/junkies/neds and middle aged faceplanters…

TBF you can actually ride a small loop of cathkin and make it interesting. I never go beyond the bottom of double dare. The new stuff that’s getting put in for next years championship looks good.

leffeboy

It’s yet another thing to do with your bike and that’s a great thing. I only ever do then every few years but it’s still fun

And how long before the stw Facebook team start pushing this thread every couple of weeks 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

They have their place, and I love a visit to CyB or Afan in particular.

They definitely don’t seem as busy as they used to be though. Anyone else observed that?

whitestone
    Free Member

Few seem to be answering the original questions 🙄

So why should I like, or grow to like them? What do you like about them that keeps you going back?

So far it seems to boil down to some combination of “Lack of time”, “lack of commitment to head out on the BW network” (I’ll use that rather than “natural” 😉 ); convenience.

Oh, the off-piste stuff at TCs isn’t what I’m talking about, it’s the marked trails. In fact stuff like Grandfather, Father, Dentist at Grizedale is fine, far better than TNF. (I know TNF hasn’t had much if any love over the years but insert the name of any TC trail and it’s the same). Which suggests that it’s the deliberately manufactured stuff that I have issue with.

iainc

That’s been spoken of since the commie games, pie in the sky.

nope, it’s real now. There was an info session on it hosted by the Council the other week. Funding is secured. However, Chateau au Lait for coffee and cake… 🙁

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Yes,I love them. I grew up on bmx in the 80’s and started mountain biking soon as I got too old to be hanging about on a bmx. Still did the same stuff, looking for things to ride down and jump off. So my first visit to Glentress was as you can imagine magical, like the world’s biggest bmx track. I’m quite time limited theses days and at a trail centre I know what I’m getting and even though all of them are an hour plus traveling I reckon it’s the best bang for buck time wise. I’ve lost a bit of bike mojo at present but I can see trail centres figuring even more in my future biking.

The flip side is that I detest hike a bike, I’d actually rather be walking than carrying a bike.

poah
    Free Member

That’s been spoken of since the commie games, pie in the sky. Castlemilk for a coffee and cake? F that!

The only thing they are short of is cash for doing the old church up – ~200k but the money for the track, the UCI start/finsh, pump and skills track is all there. They have done the environmental sweep of the area too. Should be starting to dig pretty soon and will be ready for march/april next year IIRC when I went to the information day.

joebristol

There’s no reason you should feel you have to like trail centres. You like what you like.

I like that they are pretty weather proof, have big flow trails with berms / yumps / jumps and often have at least a cafe – and sometimes shower facilities. Yet you still feel you’re out in the wild (most often go to Cwmcarn or Bike Park Wales – but the same applies to Afan).

For the record my bike has never been on the roof of an Audi (referring to comment somewhere above)…..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Few seem to be answering the original questions

So why should I like, or grow to like them? What do you like about them that keeps you going back?

So far it seems to boil down to some combination of “Lack of time”, “lack of commitment to head out on the BW network” (I’ll use that rather than “natural” ); convenience.

Pretty much nailed it though haven’t we?

That and “it’s like riding a 20mile BMX track”.

What’s not to like? Unless you enjoy the faff/drudgery/mud* of the bridleway network and don’t like jumps and berms.

*tongue in cheek, I do like a good day out.

Anyone over about 30 and been mountainbiking for >16 years will probably remember Foot and Mouth too. If it wasn’t for trail centers keeping people riding it’s entirely possible the sport would have just died on it’s arse just as trail bikes started to get interesting and the sport moved away from ‘trudging over hills and bridleways’ into the more ‘gnarr’ incarnation we have today. The countryside was effectively shut through 2001.

ton

got to be honest, I am fancying a trail center trip now after reading this thread.
    a weekend in wales I reckon, cyb, penmachno and llandegla.

mbnutter
    Free Member

Packing the van as soon as I finish my cuppa.

Nant yr Arian followed by Climachx on my way to camping near Coed y Brenin.

Then Coed y Brenin or a natural the next day and either or on Sunday.

OP… Do you feel you want to like them? I love riding my bike, the woods and rolling hills of my native Kent provide me with hours of enjoyment, woodland singletrack being a favourite.

That said, I love my Alps trips and tackling 1000m descents with average gradients of 26%, another favourite.

TCs have always figured in my riding and a weekend away that involves brain out just ride the trail type stuff is excellent, especially when mixed with a little out there exploring too.

I know you love riding and with the Peaks as your playground, who needs TCs?

Gotta pack now…. plenty of wet gear this weekend I think!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’ve never been to Glentress!
    There, I’ve admitted it. I must surely be alone in this respect amongst mountainbikers.

stcolin
    Free Member

I think it’s fashionable to hate trial centres. They have their place, for sure. Yes, I prefer ‘natural’ trials, but I really love some sections of trial centres. I also think they are much more appealing to beginners. My girlfriend is really getting into it and she prefers riding at a trial centre. Clearer trials, waymarked, and less intimidating than throwing her into the woods 😀

Heading to Llandegla on Saturday with her for a spin around the red. The red there has a few nice sections 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Nice to see an argument about mountain biking on here, instead of Trump, Europe, pies, moleskin trews, corbyn, carbonara, Jamba, ninfan, Jamba, ninfan, Jamba, ninfan………

😀

molgrips
    Free Member

it’s a rare day when I’m not leaving the house with a deadline in mind and a half dozen other things to do that day – it’s a gamble to head up to Brecon or even Caerphilly and wander into the woods hoping to find something to ride

P-Jay, seriously, drop me a line, I can sort you out with natural rides!

swoosh
    Free Member

Few seem to be answering the original questions

My answers to your questions are: you don’t have to, it’s up to you what you like and what you don’t like, and lots of things for me to like them but YMMV.

If someone has ridden at a trail centre and decided they don’t like it, no one should tell them they’re being silly or missing something.

If someone declares they don’t like a trail centre without ever riding at one then my response would be “how do you know if you’ve never tried it?” Give it a go, if after you’ve ridden at a trail centre you still don’t get it or enjoying then fine, it’s not for you.

P-Jay
    Free Member

chakaping – Member

They definitely don’t seem as busy as they used to be though. Anyone else observed that?

Comes and goes, here in South Wales Afan seems quiter than ever, but it’s not really a ‘centre’ as such anymore – it’s an area with 3 ‘centres’ and a free carapark tucked away,

Cwmcarn is always brisk to busy, but obviously dies down in Winter.

For the most part though BPW is sucking up 90% of the road trip crowd.

fergal
    Free Member

Trail centres are great, they give people new to the sport a real challenge in an environment that is easy to navigate and are fairly predictable, to just dismiss the riding as easy is being disengenuous, some Black features can be quite testing, even the Blue loop at GT has a fairly tough climb for a beginner, a proper challenge.

It is just riding bikes, so don’t look down your’e nose at others enjoying themselves.

I was recently at Chatel bike park, i thought i would hate it and had a real blast, would i do it again, to right i would.. my preconceptions were wrong. It’s different but not inferior to natural riding, what is natural anyway, other than manmade.

By the way i’m faster than you, my kits brand new.

oldtalent
    Free Member

Comes and goes, here in South Wales Afan seems quiter than ever, but it’s not really a ‘centre’ as such anymore – it’s an area with 3 ‘centres’ and a free carapark tucked away,

Needs an uplift. I recall the descents were excellent fun, but I’m not wasting 1/2 my day riding uphill.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Needs an uplift. I recall the descents were excellent fun, but I’m not wasting 1/2 my day riding uphill.

Not an opinion everyone would share but I take you’re point.

If it was run as a business there would be one there right now – in fact there was 10 years ago, a Land Rover with a trailer that drove a little too quickly dropping people up Whites, the Wall and Skyline to tear down again. Sadly, the Council couldn’t find the right box for him on their forms so he was legislated to death – I think he was technically a taxi in the end.

Anyway, yes, if it was a business they’d look at how BPW is doing and refocus the place – but as it stands it doesn’t lend itself to it – trails are spread far and wide and they’re long XC descents not like Bike Park.

You can uplift the major descents of The Wall if you want with little fuss, well as long as you’ve got a suitable vehicle and take it in turns to drive – few people do though.

gowerboy

I have drifted away from trail centres and back to the kind of riding that I enjoyed when I first got an ‘MTB’. I prefer the remote over the hills and far away rides and my local woods and paths. I still visit Brechfa from time to time though and when I bother I enjoy it.

My loss of interest is due to getting my fat bike, the fact that I have ridden all the local trail centres so often, reluctance to drive to a centre after work and, I guess, getting older and less sociable.

Whether I like them or not is irrelevant though because loads of people do, it’s great for ‘our sport’ takes pressure of natural trails, introduces people to getting fit outside, etc, etc… I know it’s not the question being asked but I am glad we have them and would support the development of more trail centres all over the place…. Preferably with train links and even in urban areas.

fergal
    Free Member

“I have seen things you fatbikers wouldn’t believe..Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.. C beams glittering in the dark.. near the Tanhauser gate..all memories lost in time, like tears in rain…”

Just your average trail center blast!

weeksy

Love them.

Afan is my favourite!

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

When I was involved with NWMBA, we were lucky enough to be involved with the beginning of Llandegla. The place is special to me, have spent many a happy hour blasting around the trails.
    As has been said, TC’s have their place. I used the shop at Llandegla and was friends with Ian and Jim, so it was a place to go to see friends too.
    Whinlatter is now my local TC and although it is a great place, I have probably been there twice in 12 months.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what is natural anyway, other than manmade.

Natural – possibly affected by humanity but not built for bikes to be ridden down

Man made – built for bikes to ride down by humans

Its not that hard a distinction to grasp

Granted there are grey areas due to trail pixies

BoardinBob

I’ve rode some absolutely amazing trail centres

I’ve rode some absolutely crap trail centres

I’ve rode some absolutely amazing natural stuff

I’ve rode some absolutely crap natural stuff

As long as you’re enjoying it and having fun it doesn’t matter where you ride

If you go out your way not to ride trail centres you’re basically just an edge lord

fergal
    Free Member

Got you, well it isn’t natural is it, semantics… Bways are manmade, granted for horses, but not very natural.

We often talk about how great natural rides are in the Mountains…stone pitched with water bars yay.

My mission is to find the best natural rides they are rarer than you think…Like i said i’m faster than you my kit is brand new.

PS. Natural to me is a trail made by footfall or animal tracks, rare in a biking context,

aide

Yeah, love them. Think im spoilt though, when i got back into mountain biking my mate took me to a local TC (glentress). I like the ‘easy bang for yer buck’ like others have said, you know what your getting, easy to build up your skills, easy to follow trails on a loop. That said im hardly ever on the waymarked trails anymore. People stop to see if you need a hand if your stopped for any reason. Also spoilt as theres lots of natural stuff here too, old drovers rds, walking paths, freedom to roam and i love doing this too (doing st Cuthbert’s way in a couple of weeks).

OP – You dont say if you go out alone or with others. Maybe you like the solitude? Theres definitely a feeling of less pressure on me pootling away in a field compared to a TC where i know a ‘feature’ isnt to far away. Dont feel that you should have to grow to like them, as long as your happy on the saddle its all good i would say ( sorry, never meant to write this much)

nastybuller
    Free Member

I find the biggest problem with trail centres is they all start to look the same after a while. Hardpack, hardly any roots, full of berms. I still go occasionally but I do find them a bit boring.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Quick answer, yes.

What do you like about them that keeps you going back?

They offer an opportunity to ride terrain that isn’t in abundance naturally (corners is a great example!), without the stuff that can spoil a natural ride (overgrown trails, floods, mud, tough climbs 😆 )

I love a good “traditional” ride, but a number of factors need to be just right to make it a great experience. Many of those factors I have no control of. Trail centres provide a buzz that might be nigh-on impossible to get on my local trails in the middle of a wet winter, for example.

Also, much of the buzz I get from a good XC ride I can get from a good road ride, yet trail centre riding is a very different experience. It’s the difference between going for a drive in the country versus going on a track day.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 188 total)

The topic ‘Do you like trail centres?’ is closed to new replies.