Viewing 31 posts - 121 through 151 (of 151 total)
  • Do you keep a weapon handy at home
  • mrsheen
    Free Member

Have an assegai in my bedroom wardrobe, just in case any lions are roaming the great rift valley of Stockport.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

After visits from prospectors followed by one break-in whilst I was at work, I kept a two-foot length (small lobby space) of broomstick handle, rounded off at both ends, by the door.

One jab to the diaphragm would do it.

Since leaving South-East Ruritania for hazy, lazy Andalucia, I’ve doubted that i need it anymore.

Still keep it in the cupboard though. You never know.

SaxonRider

In my current house, I have not once (touch wood) felt any need for any protection. In my last one, however, I was flipping paranoid.

We lived through one attempted break in, and while we had always felt vulnerable before this, afterward I think I never slept easy again.

The thing is, I have always been afraid of the idea that any weapon I might wield could be easily taken from me and used against me.

Of the flight, fight, freeze possibilities, I’m definitely a freezer. 🙁

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dannyh
    Free Member

Do you keep a weapon handy at home

Yes, but the missus keeps telling me to put it away.

Tom-B
    Free Member

me personally, no. I find the house alarm is defence enough but Danny, the captain of my old Croydon Sunday league football team keeps a ‘commemorative Celtic FC baseball bat’ that he occasionally gets to use as the landlord of a pub in Croydon (ff the you tube vid to 1:40).

I was right back and he was centre back for about 4 seasons. His defending was a bit heavy handed too, just like this video.

Best bit of that is the article stating that he ‘chased the burglars away’ 😆 I saw it more as ‘beat the living shite out of!’ He looked knackered from the effort of repeatedly smacking the second bloke!

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Jeez where do you lot live???

I’ve never felt the need for a weapon by the door or in the car. Though I do have Marmite at the foot of the bed.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Z3i73Q]Marmite Roll-1[/url] by Ian Warnes, on Flickr

nealglover
    Free Member

After visits from prospectors followed by one break-in whilst I was at work, I kept a two-foot length (small lobby space) of broomstick handle

You must work very close to home if a two-foot stick is enough.

MrPottatoHead

I remember my Grandad used to keep a truncheon hidden in the fake flowers by his front door. He led quite a colourful life so I suspect this was destined more for people he knew, than a random stranger.

Houns

My 92 year old Nan keeps my Grandads old truncheon beside her bed.

jimjam
    Free Member

Bianchi-Boy – Member

Jeez where do you lot live???

What does it matter. The concern is the same whether you live in an inner city shit hole or a 6 bedroom country home with an acre of land around it, you may be the unlucky victim of a burglary.

But really as above there’s no point carrying anything unless you can be certain you won’t hesitate to use it. God knows what it’s like to face someone down with a lethal weapon that could potentially kill or disable with one blow. Chances are you’ll choke and end up getting beaten with it.

Edit: Also, there are a million fights on youtube and particularly Worldstarhiphop, many involving weapons. They are often random and unpredictable and when people do get hit in the head with bats and weapons it can be horrific.

Alpha1653

I happen to have 2 x kukhris in the house but not explicitly as self defence weapons. I’ve always thought a paintball gun would be a good deterrent – decent range, non lethal but hurts like hell especially in the face.

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

What does it matter. The concern is the same whether you live in an inner city shit hole or a 6 bedroom country home with an acre of land around it, you may be the unlucky victim of a burglary.

Of course you are right. My point was that anywhere in the UK is relatively safe.

jimjam
    Free Member

Bianchi-Boy – Member

Of course you are right. My point was that anywhere in the UK is relatively safe.

Well, the risk of a mobile phone charger exploding and burning the house down is relatively low, but I still unplug all (of my wife’s many) chargers before going to bed. The risk of flooding is pretty low but I check the drains are clear. The risk of burglary is statistically pretty low too but any sensible person should lock their doors, add security lights…perhaps an alarm.

The “weapon under the bed scenario” is only relevant if a burglar isn’t content to just take your tv and laptop. They decide to get some mobile phones, your wife’s jewelry, perhaps those nice watches you have. Are you willing to let someone put you and your family in a ransom situation and hope they’ll just leave when they’ve taken all your stuff? It’s even less likely but it’s much more serious.

The bat under the bed might never get used, it might be an utterly pointless addition to your home security but a simple stick might also allow you to match the man coming up the stairs and convince him to leave before he subjects your wife and children to a terrifying ordeal.

Drac

It’s not Surrey round hear. Everyone’s got a muppet tenderiser next to the door for dealing with cartoon Rambo’s like this.

All that because his wheelie bin was too close to his motorbike.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve got a 1968 BSA Airsporter (paid about£30 for it new & brought it home on the bus) in the cupboard under the stairs. I could always cock it & pull the trigger but nothing would come out except air.
    The pellets are in the garage somewhere.

poah
    Free Member

this does the job

zokes
    Free Member

My wife used to suggest I keep my cricket bat handy near the bed after we moved to oz. I did point out that if I had cause to use it in the hallway, I’d have to ask the intruder to step back outside so I’d have room to swing the thing. Not exactly practical! 😆

andrewh
    Free Member

Only needed one once. Lived in a student house in Reading. Had a break in, was sure he had gone but my housemate thought she heard a noise and sent me to investigate. Only ‘weapon: to hand was my chain whip, 8″ steel bar with12″ if chain on the end. Looked scarier than it was,likely to have done more damage to my knuckles than to him. Fortunately I was right and he had gone.
    Have climbing gear in the bedroom so an ice axe is readily at hand but has never been called upon for this and I don’t expect it to be.

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

The risk of burglary is statistically pretty low too but any sensible person should lock their doors, add security lights…perhaps an alarm.

Yes of course, all very sensible and advisable actions but that is a world apart from what some are suggesting on this thread.

And how far do you take it? Do you have a weapon in the car too? Or just under the bed? What about when you are walking home from the pub? What about if a mugger jumps out and threatens you and yours?

And finally, I’ve never been much of a fighter, I doubt that a baseball bat in my hands would change that.

chip
    Free Member

What about when you are walking home from the pub? What about if a mugger jumps out and threatens you and yours?

In the old days you could carry cane that concealed a handy sword for dispatching said blaggard in such a situation.

I have only suffered attempted mugging twice, once by two men with a knife who after my continued insistence I had nothing worth stealing on me which I did not gave up, this was pre mobile phone.

Another time a teenager approached me with a Rottweiler and said if I did not give him my money he would set his dog on me, I responded by petting his dog which was as soppy as shite. To which he started shouting don’t stroke my dog Before walking off swearing under his breath.

jamj1974

Though I do have Marmite at the foot of the bed.

Pretty sure he is the antithesis of the food product. Who could hate him? Looks ace.

jimjam
    Free Member

Bianchi-Boy – Member

The risk of burglary is statistically pretty low too but any sensible person should lock their doors, add security lights…perhaps an alarm.

And how far do you take it? Do you have a weapon in the car too? Or just under the bed? What about when you are walking home from the pub? What about if a mugger jumps out and threatens you and yours?[/quote]

The same logic doesn’t apply because a mugger (rationally speaking) has no reason to assume that you have all of your worldly possessions on you and that you will be in a position to hand them over if they just leverage enough force/threat of force.

Similarly with a car you can give them the car, no car thief is then (rationally) going to decide to torture you for possessions you might have hidden in the car.

And finally, I’ve never been much of a fighter, I doubt that a baseball bat in my hands would change that.

It might not for a lot of people, I’m just trying to explain why some people might decide to have some form of weapon around the home for a worst case scenario.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

People answer the door when they’re not expecting someone? There’s your problem.

wrecker
    Free Member

I have a PR 24 under the bed and an old gerber lock blade in the bedside cabinet drawer which I got from a PX. They will never leave the house and I pray that I never have to use either. I never had anything before jnr came along. Couldn’t give a stuff about possessions, they can have them. I doubt I’d use either unless someone decided to climb the stairs.

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

The same logic doesn’t apply

Don’t be silly, of course it does. The question (managed or perceived risk assessment) is not about the circumstances. It is about the value to you of what is threatened. Child/watch collection/boyfriend/girlfriend)

You are up in the bedroom (your scenario) and you have to decide how to protect you and yours. Or you are in the car and you have to decide how to protect you and yours. Or you are on the street and you have to decide how to protect you and yours. How you react is your decision. Fight or flight. It’s pretty basic.

The same logic doesn’t apply because a mugger (rationally speaking) has no reason to assume that you have all of your worldly possessions on you

Of course he doesn’t, but you do, you know that your boyfriend/girlfriend has the watch on their wrist that was left to them by their favourite grandparent.

So do you go out tooled up ready for any thieving scumbag/mugger that might cross your path or do you just go out and have a nice night with the lady/bloke that you love?

Anyway, I’m out of this silliness. I do not think I am Rambo, I love my family and look after them, and I have spent 12 years writing risk ass plans for HRO and Indeterminate Sentence for Public Protection Off plans so what do I know?

Poopscoop

I think I would play free form jazz very loudly.

If it didn’t drive them away it has the effect of making me very, very angry.

Any you wouldn’t like me when I’m angry.

jimjam
    Free Member

Bianchi-Boy – Member

The same logic doesn’t apply

Don’t be silly, of course it does. The question (managed or perceived risk assessment) is not about the circumstances. It is about the value to you of what is threatened. Child/watch collection/boyfriend/girlfriend)[/quote]

Only if you break it down into the most grossly basic components.

You are up in the bedroom (your scenario) and you have to decide how to protect you and yours. Or you are in the car and you have to decide how to protect you and yours. Or you are on the street and you have to decide how to protect you and yours. How you react is your decision. Fight or flight. It’s pretty basic.

In your house with your family you in a certain sense trapped. Flight is not really a realistic option unless you feel you can some how evade or stun the intruder, collect your family members then flee your house into the night.

In your car or in the street there are obviously a myriad of potential hypothetical situations but flight is probably a more realistic option in most scenarios. Especially in a car. You’re trying to dismiss any validity or rationality for having something to hand in the house by making a fallacious comparison with the rest of normal life.

so what do I know?

Well I guess you know that a mugging is different from a burglary at least.

CountZero

Well, here at home I have a bunch of nice sharp kitchen knives, in my living room I have a couple of wicker baskets, one of which has several axes in it along with other sharp blades which I sometimes use for carving, behind the couch is a walking stick with a carved harpy eagle head on the top which could cause some damage, especially the hooked beak, and upstairs, and more useful, I have a number of very bright flashlights with strobe functions which would prove highly distracting to anyone sneaking up the stairs.
    There’s also the Kukhri my dad was given by a Gurkha out in Singapore after he was released from Changi, the blade is a bit corroded, and the sheath has come apart and needs restoration, but it’s bastard sharp, and as it’s designed as a close-quarters combat weapon, highly effective on anyone coming up the stairs who wouldn’t be able to see anyone in any of the upstairs rooms, or standing behind the bannister rail at the top…
    I’d be perfectly prepared to use it, from the higher defensive position the advantage is all mine.
    There’s also a small block of metal I obtained from somewhere as a paperweight, that’s remarkably heavy for its size, no idea what it is, could be tungsten, but just dropping it on an intruders head would cause him to take stock of the situation.
    Once he wakes up, probably in A&E…

natrix
    Free Member

I have a keyboard under the bed, aint nobody gonna mess with a keyboard warrior!!!!!!

RustySpanner

Have we heard from Muddydwarf yet?
    🙂

footflaps

People answer the door when they’re not expecting someone? There’s your problem

Just shoot them on the lawn before they get to the door…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Yoshihiro_Hattori

Viewing 31 posts - 121 through 151 (of 151 total)

The topic ‘Do you keep a weapon handy at home’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts