Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 151 total)
  • Do you ignore certain contributers to this forum?
  • piemonster

Box fish plus one.

Flounces

dantsw13

There are definitely some people whose opinions I value on “Bike Sh@t”, and a couple who I know are just going to annoy me – that’s life though. It would be boring if everybody was always right, like my wife!!!

beefheart
    Free Member

I ride bikes to be alone, to enable some quietness where I can just have some peace from the noise of the world. There is no conversation to have because that time on wheels is mine and mine alone.

There you go! Spread the love! 😀

Seriously though, I get what you’re saying, and I completely agree.

Stoner
    Free Member

geoffj – Member
    Darcy, Stoner & McMoonter – all ****!

I get that treatment at home, I dont expect it here!!!

*flounces*

There’s only one name I avoid, and he’s usually in the bike section and he’s just really dull. Apart from that, you’re all grist to the mill to me. Even my darling Ernie. And DD. And Junky.And… anyone have that user-blocking program to hand?

campkoala
    Free Member

I only talk about em 33.3% of the time, the other 66.6% is taken over by 2 far more important things.

Ah.. Dinner and pudding?

rOcKeTdOg

blimey, I’ve got a few whose threads I never open

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

There’s a couple I tend to ignore, there used to be more but they got banned.

wrecker
    Free Member

I went for a ride with the OP once. Nice chap.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Apologies haven’t read the whole thread … this forum software here is very crude, other forums I’ve frequented for many years have more sophisticated software which allow you to “ignore” specific users. Very useful

scotroutes

If you use Chrome as a browser, there’s a plug-in that adds that facility.

Swelper
    Free Member

I’m not that bothered who posts. It’s the content which I choose to filter / read / ignore

jamj1974

I ignore jamj1974. Works for me.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Cheers

DannyB

Jamie
    Free Member

*searches for people compositepro has had beefs with*

scotroutes

Rules me out 🙂

freeagent
    Free Member

I tend to ignore the self righteous, tin pot communists as they bore me, and occasionally make me angry.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I never understand why anybody filters anything.
    I’ve been reading Slashdot for 10 years and have never logged-in.
    Always read the comments on a news story.
    I love the noise of the raw internet.
    Never browse STW by forum.
    Would post AC if I could.
    Love a heated discussion.
    A true compromise is rare in life – it’s when no-one is happy.
    I will admit if I am wrong.
    Never ignore a poster.

Love riding bikes, love reading about them, don’t have many questions…

Sorry.

What’s a tin-pot communist?

compositepro
    Free Member

yup as i thought…but for the record i dont have a beef with anyone

scotroutes

What happened there?

Jamie
    Free Member

Looks like some thread pruning is in effect.

compositepro
    Free Member

What happened there?

I think my dry sense of humour is frowned upon by the moderati

maybe there should be a sarcasm icon

sometimes one does wonder if its the forum that should be avoided in general and not the contributors

somafunk

I don’t ignore anyone on the forum and find it amusing as to why anyone would?, a forum persona and style of writing can be interpreted in so many ways (often wrongly) without actually realising or accepting the true intonation of the post or forum user, once i realised that a so called forum conversation is not necessarily a true representation of the forum user compared to a true face to face conversation which relies on our subconscious interpretation of facial tics and subtle body language then i’m quite happy to reply to any post if i feel i can offer anything to the conversation, whether that be a sarcastic comment to be taken in the amusing manner intended or an actual constructive post to help out.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I used to use the kill file plugin but all those people are gone now, booted off by the mods. The forum is Not diverse at all. If you think it is you should get out more.

chakaping
    Free Member

I have learned to avoid political threads.

There are certain contributors to the bike forum who can’t help but brain dump on every thread they see. Sometimes I start reading their comments then catch the name and stop.

One frequent poster starts threads asking stupid questions and then argues with any respondents.

The place is a hotbed of undiagnosed personality disorders tbh, so naming names would be cruel.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

samuri – Member
    Do you guys actually remember who you’ve had a disagreement with?

I suspect some folks have little notebooks to record names, keep score and as aide memoires when cross referring to posts made years ago, shouldn’t criticise really as everyone needs a hobby.

I read lots of funny stuff, some very interesting stuff and a bit of thought provoking stuff, but plenty of threads end in the usual trench warfare so I’ve stopped joining in.

The bike forum is only of limited interest as I ride a Frankenbike Rigid SS which is as old as the hills, so all this boingy technobabble flies straight over my head. May have to make a proper effort to learn this shit so I can join in.

bearnecessities

I get lost at anything more modern than a quill stem/headset arrangement!

geoffj

I get that treatment at home, I dont expect it here!!!

😛

Sandwich

I suspect some folks have little notebooks to record names, keep score and as aide memoires when cross referring to posts made years ago, shouldn’t criticise really as everyone needs a hobby.

It will be written into an SQL database with lots of fancy data-mining scripts if the stereotype is correct. Note books are so last century.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

For me personally it did get to the point where I used to see TJ on a thread and just hit the back button, which left me disappointed in myself a bit because with his sensible head on he was a nice guy, but as soon as the arguments started….. Arrrggghhh……
    I also avoid political threads. I just have no interest in it at all, and it’s always the same old few arguing the same old guff, and trying to force their opinions on others. You’re not allowed to disagree with them.
    Apart from that I spend too long working with bikes and actually riding them now, and I don’t post on here anywhere near as often as I used to.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You’re not allowed to disagree with them.

How do the threads get so long then if you cannot disagree with them?
    Who do you mean by them?

its clear not everyone likes politics which is fine, i dont like rugby.
    I dont call folk names who enjoy debating rugby though.
    Many threads on here are repetition – tyres, routes, servicing, wheel size, lights so its not just the politics.

vickypea
    Free Member

Surely you have to ignore/filter a certain amount of stuff that’s posted, or else you’d never have time to do anything else, like riding bikes 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

its clear not everyone likes politics which is fine, i dont like rugby.

But it’s likely that some people interested in politics will refrain from getting involved in threads on here because they’re always dominated by the same old blowhards.

tazzymtb

Yes…only because there is a chance (albeit a slim one as most on don’t actually seem to ride) that I may bump into them on the trails or at a race and be forced to kill them in a brutal manner before leaving their body in the woods to be knawed by badgers and spaffed on by doggers.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I ignore any thread that has the forum name of another member in the title.

Kryton57

I suspect some folks have little notebooks to record names, keep score and as aide memoires when cross referring to posts made years ago

This was acknowledged on another forum a while back.

There’s two people in avoid as I find that their hypocrisy on here is irritating but it’s not personal. I do find that it’s easy for people to have a pop at you I’m generic terms, but often when you speak to them directly (on of off forum) they are quite pleasant people, enforcing the well known trait of either hiding behind t’internet or a forum persona which is not the same as their real one. Therefore, I don’t take much personally from forums these days.

There are some very helpful and pleasant people about to.

Junkyard
    Free Member

some people interested in politics will refrain from getting involved in threads on here because they’re always dominated by the same old blowhards.

which happens on many threads anyway I dont discuss SS or tyre size or engage on threads where folk list the “women they would do”.

Its a cross section basically and some bits/folk/subjects you will like some you wont.

slackalice
    Free Member

Further pondering on this from seeing a recent topic on the bike forum asking whether altering a chainline would cause a cessation to their mortality, has prompted me to confess that I am always tempted to reply with a ‘yes please’ or write a long list of the various ways In which someone might indeed die. Links to the Darwin awards for example. Even the Stupid Death’s spot on Horrible Histories could be signposted.

Youngster’s eh? Tsk.

Thing is, I’m a busy chap and have many other things to be idling my time away with, so not the contributor as such, just some topic titles.

jekkyl

I just tend to read & reply to comments or threads regardless of who’s posted it. I don’t tend to take much notice of the name of the person who’s posted it, it’s the content that’s important. I also find that it doesn’t really matter, you could have a blinding argument with someone over one topic & then be agreeing with them over another. Just like life!

cynic-al
    Free Member

There’s a few I SHOULD avoid 😛

I like the chat on here, I’ve been into bikes/trade enough to have seen most of the conversations before and not to be interested in “this year’s new amazing new products”. However there is some great bike (and other) knowledge on here.

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    blimey, I’ve got a few whose threads I never open

How do I get on that list?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Saying that sort of thing a few times should do it.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 151 total)

The topic ‘Do you ignore certain contributers to this forum?’ is closed to new replies.