Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Do you have to enjoy all cycling??
  • howarthp

I’ve been planning a cycle touring trip for quite some time. However, the reality has struck and I’m just not enjoying it.

Rule #5 or go home and do something I like?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

If you’re not enjoying it then go home and do something else.

Jamie
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with quitting. In fact, I might quit writing this po

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rorschach
    Free Member

I feel much the same way about modern life……constantly.

ton

are you on the tour now??

and yes, you should enjoy all cycling…..cos one day, you wont be able to do it…. 😀

kcal

I planned a cycle trip a while back, the nearer it got – and trying to pack, organise trains, get a working bike, fit in time off — the more it preyed and I looked for excuses to not do it.

I had a great time, was a fab 4/5 day tour. JFDI.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

I don’t think there is anything wrong with not enjoying it all the time. I got bored of mtb over the last 8 months riding the same trails etc so stopped and now really miss it!

GolfChick
    Free Member

if you know deep in your heart that you’re not enjoying it and its not just one crappy day then just go home. Otherwise you’re just wasting days of your life for no real benefit and nothing to take from it other than a sense of loathing.

duntstick
    Free Member

In a few weeks time I’m pedalling up from Spanish borders on the West coast of France
    , up to the Uk.

Planning minimal, JFDI will get me there, I have a tent and a bike, you can over think things you know 😉

richpips
    Free Member

Depends on the trip.

What are you not enjoying?

kimbers

cycling is cycling, its all great

commuting is by far the most riding I get in
    but honestly cycling on the road bores the tits off me, my mind wanders I start to slow down

off road till I die baby!!!!

pondo

If you’re not enjoying it then go home and do something else.

This, and nothing else, about everything, as much as you can.

howarthp

I like 50% of the answers!

Yes, in my tent right now. I think it’s difficult to slow down when I’m used to going everywhere as fast as possible. Also it’s crap getting out of London – too much traffic.

I’m going to sleep on it

ricky1
    Free Member

I went out for a ride the other week’wasnt a 4/5 day ride just a normal night ride but turned back after 2 miles,just couldn’t be arsed and didn’t think it was befitting to put myself through it if the enjoyment wasn’t there,would really like to do what your doing though just haven’t got the time,hope you feel better in the morning.

pondo

I think it’s difficult to slow down when I’m used to going everywhere as fast as possible. Also it’s crap getting out of London – too much traffic.

Aaa, ok. I have a friend who’s the same – he’s on the gas everywhere, while I’m quite happy to bimble along when the occasion demands. That’s purely a head thing, hope you can get the “take in the view” mindset on, must be easier when you’re out of the smoke – but if you can’t, cut it loose, no point banging your head against the wall for the sake of it. Hope you get it worked out one way or the other. 🙂

passtherizla
    Free Member

I’ve come to the conclusion recently that I just like going fast and doing jumps. Almost like I have gone off proper riding seems like so much input for so little return. All seems such a slog. Need to go somewhere nice but the temptation to just go and jump stuff is too strong. New DH bike in the post though so I’m going to put a double ring and skinnier tyres on my rocket and see if it feels any better.

Duggan

How long is the trip planned for?

If it’s less than a week surely just suck it up and finish your plans otherwise you might not feel like you’ve really given it a proper try? At least this way if you still don’t like it you can be satisfied that you never need bother planning another one again.

Any more than that though and I guess there’s no point forcing yourself to do something you don’t like, life’s too short.

cloudnine
    Free Member

It’s probably not cycling that’s bothering you..

Northwind

I can’t imagine I’ll ever do cycle touring, it looks like none of the good bits of cycling and pretty much all of the bad. I’m sure it has its appeal but it’s a sort of appeal that doesn’t really appeal.

kcal

depends what cycle touring you have in mind I guess, I see it as some miles at steady pace, taking in views on roads less travelled. Haven’t decided on the B&B vs. tent dilemma though..

D0NK

I’ve always fancied the idea of touring but as it’s one of the more accessible areas of cycling the fact that I still haven’t tried it is probably quite telling. As northwind mentions too much of the less appealing parts with too little of the better stuff. I think a couple days of credit card touring in the lakes would be a good bet.

you don’t have to like it all, my mate has never ridden in winter, strictly march-october. Mind you he’s had house/life stuff get in the way and hasn’t done a proper ride for near on 2 years, bloody part timer.
    and he’s never enjoyed climbing, weirdo
    and he can’t chat for hours about bike geometry or slow speed compression settings either, I guess there’s just no hope for him.

Enjoy as much or as little of it as you want, apart from utility cycling* it’s supposed to be fun.

*which may also be fun

jam1e
    Free Member

Yeah, just quit

[video]http://youtu.be/PsUTG2DLc0w[/video]

cookeaa

Cycling is a pretty broad church if one particular niche is no longer floating your boat there’s probably something else you will enjoy, and there’s no shame in giving up if you feel the need.

Its better to be honest with yourself and pack it in if you’re not enjoying it, rather than feel obliged to just because you’ve spent time and money on it already… It is supposed to be fun first and foremost, if that’s missing then why waste your free time…

BigDummy
    Free Member

Are you by yourself?

It takes me ages to get my brain to shut up when I’m riding distances by myself. I sometimes can’t manage it, especially if I’m left to my own devices in the evenings.

No shame in not enjoying it.

🙂

chvck
    Free Member

+1 really. I don’t subscribe to the school of thought that all cycling is great, I like some of it but some just isn’t of interest.

brooess
    Free Member

I’ve thought about a long cycle tour but never got around to it.
    A couple of considerations:
    1. Maybe it’s best with someone else, so you can share the experience and chat as you ride along
    2. SE England is probably not the most enjoyable place to cycle tour. I would have thought empty, beautiful places like Wales, Scotland, France, Spain etc would be a better experience
    3. If you’re not enjoying it, go home. No point killing your enjoyment of cycling for the sake of completion

hilldodger
    Free Member

Slogging round on a lumbering old beast weighed down with panniers/bar bags and all sorts of tat is the only kind of riding I couldn’t ever imagine doing again.

However touring on a fast bike, minimal kit, a bank card & staying in nice B&Bs is great, in fact such a different affair to the “Carradice experience” it’s my bike related holiday of choice now.

tomhoward

I cant help but feel that Lance’s little speech in dodgeball isn’t the best motivator here…

‘With the love and support of my friends and family and an industrial quantity of PEDs and blood transfusions I got back on the bike blah blah…’

😆

howarthp

Well, I came home. Heavy cycle touring has joined fixie riding on the road as less enjoyable than renal colic…

I think one of the main problems is that, because the average speed is so much slower, there is a very different interaction with traffic. I had more near-misses in two days than I normally have in a month.

The Outer Hebrides would certainly be a nicer destination too.

steezysix
    Free Member

I started off touring the way most people do it – loads of panniers and as much stuff as possible, but I’ve found it much more enjoyable to go as light as possible and cover big distances each day. To me, stuff like ultralight bikepacking and the Transcontinental/Trans America races are really inspiring compared to trundling along for days on end carrying the kitchen sink. I probably miss out on the sights, but it’s more about being on the bike and challenging myself than being a tourist for me now. Just pick the bits you enjoy and ride your way.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Ive done a v.short (2 day) ‘tour’, a coast to coast from Walney to Whitby. Did it with one small barbag & my wallet & stayed in hotels/B&B. Much nicer experience than carrying your house on your bike. Wash your kit in the shower & take a spare set of shorts & you’re laughing.

dunmail
    Free Member

Cycle touring is as much a state of mind as anything else (a bit zen for 9 in the morning I know), it’s not a race but a means of catching up with and seeing all those things you don’t seem to find time for.

You either go the light pack and stop in B&Bs/hostels approach or the camping approach, there’s not much in between really – well not that is reliable in this country. Getting a week’s kit in to a 10 litre saddlebag is a skill in itself.

The best areas for touring are the Scottish islands, the north and west of Scotland, Ireland and mid to north Wales. Even with just a saddlebag sixty miles a day is probably about the sensible limit otherwise you are just riding all the time to make your next night’s stop. Sure, take a GPS unit to note where you’ve been or if it has maps to help find your way but don’t use it to log performance statistics (though I did get in to a Strava top ten on my loaded tourer once! – I’d no idea that bit of road was a segment until I got home a week later.) Just find a route that takes in points of interest and as many cafes as you can handle.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’ve only done one cycle tour. I enjoyed it but it was more about getting away than cycling. I got a ferry to Zebrugge then cycled up the coast and into Amsterdam. Stopped in a campsite for a few days enjoying Amsterdam then headed for home.

The difference between my trip and the OPs appears to be location, the Netherlands were great for cycling around but heading out of London mixing it with the traffic is my idea of hell.

wookie
    Free Member

Ive found travelling can be a huge rollercoaster of emotions myself. Some days you wonder WTF am i doing this for to feelings of total euphoria when everything is perfect.

I was going to say keep going, in the long run its totally worth it and when you look back at what youve achieved you will smile to yourself but thats too late ….

… But its not! My favourite quote is ‘Failure is always an option’, you just need to sit down, look at what you didnt like or enjoy, tweak you plans and GET BACK OUT THERE 🙂

Steve

joefm

If you don’t enjoy it then don’t do it. Pointless forcing yourself to like something?

I really hate riding on things like the south downs way or on the road bike. All effort and no fun reward of a nice downhill. Unfortunately living where I do I need to do so for training.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Rubber_Buccaneer – Member

….The difference between my trip and the OPs appears to be location, the Netherlands were great for cycling around but heading out of London mixing it with the traffic is my idea of hell.

The furthest I’d try and cycle tour in the UK now would be to the nearest station that connects with Eurostar.
    For me to enjoy a bike tour it needs cycle friendly people/facilities, decent local food and interesting culture – kind of rules out 90% of the UK 😕

dunmail
    Free Member

Also it’s crap getting out of London – too much traffic.

Solution: get on a train to somewhere nice to begin your tour. Just get a single – you won’t (if you’ve any sense) want to go back! 🙂

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Do you have to enjoy all cycling??’ is closed to new replies.