Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • do you have any regrets?
  • Terrydactyl

"There's the crime of passion and the crime of revenge but the worst crime of all is the crime of regret"……Wayne Hussey

jojoA1
    Free Member

I regret some of the choices I made in my mid 20s over relationships. taking the 'safe' route when deep down I knew it was the wrong route. However, it's all part of who I am now, and I think I'm ok.

Wish I'd travelled more before I had the kids, but I'll rectify that in…..*mental arithmetic* 8 years, give or take… Anyone want to come with me? 🙂

MikeT-23
    Free Member

smoking too much dope over the years;
    drinking too much booze over the years;
    wearing stretch denims in those all-important adolescent years, thereby restricting the wee chap's 'room to roam';
    not being brave enough with the ladies who were so obviously interested in me (or the wee chap);
    not finding my raison d'etre – now 42 and wondering why I'm here and what I'm supposed to be doing to make the most of it;
    spending money on bad fashion choices and music tapes/CDs which are just rubbish;
    not getting away from home earlier, or making efforts to stay away when I actually did make the break;

****. I could continue, but it's Friday, and I'd like a pint this evening – not a depression brought on by reflecting on the negatives.
    Didn't mean to bring anyone down.

druidh
    Free Member

Sorry Jo I will on my way back by then 😉

corroded
    Free Member

One or two regrets about things I did or didn't do, said or didn't say. But being older and wiser is a good thing. I have a feeling that unless I bite the bullet and set out to achieve the goals I want to this year rather than settling for the secure option, I'll have deep regrets.

Tiger6791

I reveresed over my sisters Horse with the tractor, wasn't my finest hour

iseeadarkness
    Free Member

Man, there's just so much to regret.

The biggest one must be buying a house with someone without talking about/sorting out the real stuff first. Stupid, stupid man. Sometimes what you fear the most meets you halfway…

But there's not really much point in it all though now is there?

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

listening to my folks about the likelihood of my career aspirations.

Still, that's on the mend now, and as a result I have had a cracking past 20 years, just a bit behind on the career thing now (not that I'm bothered actually)

otherwise, few ladies, few opportunities, but I would only have taken them in hindsight if they led to where I am now. which is unlikely.

oh, and the twins.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Yes.
    I'd have started racing motorbikes at a younger age.
    I'd have loved to have raced in the IOM TT.

My choice of career at 18 – I'd change and maybe gone to study Geography and geology. Maybe.
    Not messed an old GF about many moons ago – who knows?

Things are still ongoing with another family matter, so I'm not sure yet on that score.
    It might work out or it might yet sink the boat!

Finally – I do think I might have made more of an effort to get along with my father, now he's got dementia it's all too late to un-pick that particular tapestry, although one up-side is he laughs at my jokes now and seems to have forgotten that he and I don't really get along!

druidh
    Free Member

And you have the added bonus of telling him the same joke over and over??

Make the most of what's left.

higthepig
    Free Member

Hitting the top of the descent slightly quicker than my ability could match, then spending the best part of last year with a cast on my arm.

Pressing "Send" on an e-mail to a Boss (now former).
    Why doesn't Outlook have a "Are your really sure" and a "Are you really, really sure" button?

Ti29er
    Free Member

Shamed again! How did you now?

Just 2.5% of the government's medical research budget is spent on dementia research, while a quarter is spent on cancer research.
    1 in 3 over 65s will die with some form of dementia.

The future is not that rosy near to the end.
    However, I do think that being physically active and dynamic makes a massive difference from your mid 40's onwards, into the 50's and 60's. Don't fancy the 70's – all that brown corduroy and tank-tops! 😉

colnagokid

chooseing Rachael over Deb
    Not getting Jim-the-greyhounds kennelmate from the rescue place when we got him (as well as not instead of)
    selling my Colnago Dream with Mapei paint! (just ordered new 'nago tho!)

Mounty_73

I have always believed it is far better to regret something you have done than to regret something you have not…

I now know this is very true as I did not do something last year and its a VERY BIG regret in life… 🙁

noteeth
    Free Member

Just the one thing. Wish I'd gone out on my bike that day…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Not so much regrets as 'I wish I'd done this or that instead'. Like if I'd stayed on the Cooncil as a fitter I'd probly be retired now (wouldv'e been 38 years next month) but I went into business with Ma & Pa, & if we'd sold the business in the mid 80's for the valuation price of 175K instead of 65K in 1997…. well who knows. Instead I'm not exactly well off & will need to crack on till I'm 65, (like lots of others I suppose)
    Should NEVER have married the one I did though, thank **** it was all over by 91'

Edukator
    Free Member

It would be dodgy changing even the tiniest thing in my past give the set of coicidences that got me to where I'm happily sitting now.

Northwind

I wish I'd figured out something I liked doing when I was about 15, instead of having to wait til my mid 20s after doing a degree with no relevance to it.

Also kind of wish I hadn't broken my hip, that was about 5 years down the drain.

And, women, obviously.

tazzymtb

loads, most of late teenage years were pretty bad with a collection of hurting people that cared for me and f**king over a lot of decent people. Drugs and the arrogance of youth do not make happy bed fellows 🙁
    biggest regret was not being there for someone when they needed me who's now sadly no longer with us.

It does mean that I'm now a much more tolerant caring person than my persona sometimes shows and although painful, at least I've always taken full accounability for my actions rather than blaming it on society, the sate, my childhood etc..

My life motto is now "that which does not kill you, makes you stranger"

Kit
    Free Member

Yup if I was going to regret anything, it would be a relationship one. But like an earlier poster said, it made me part of what I am today and I don't regret that particular journey.

Kuco

Only one and that is I shouldn't of hit that drop to quick, 6 months later and my shoulder still **** and looks like i'll be seeing the consultant again 🙁

Onion had that thought 7 months ago as Tails said he already knew 🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

Regret?

Yes, one I guess as I have not learned another language, which I should.

😕

Edukator
    Free Member

There's a great film on choices you make in life and the consequences Run Lola Run

tails
    Free Member

I regret not telling my father how much I loved him, that he was the most influential person in my life. Saying a few words at the funeral next week won't make up for this omission.

i been thinking what you said all day onion, and i have come to the conclusion that he knew, i just know he knew – 6th sense i figure.

franksinatra

Regrets? Well, I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention

Steady on, think I may a copyright on those words! 😉

Houns

I have two that still cross my mind every day

1. I was accepted for my dream job in the RAF, but 2 days before i was due to start training i called them up to say i wanted to withdraw from my place. All because of a girl. I could have been working for the 'security services' now

2. A girl called Katie, she was the 'one', still think about her everyday, i just wish i worked harder at the relationship and had known why i was feeling how i was (which i do now)

Ah well, maybe I'll come back and get to do it all again

chubby_monk
    Free Member

I regret every minute I didn't spend with a GF before she passed away. You just don't expect these things to happen when you're only 23.

Still – several years later and I'm happily married. Not many of my friends are allowed to keep up pictures of previous GFs in their house.

millzy
    Free Member

ohhh im actually feeling pretty happy about this now…

im a mere 19 years old, have already been travelling for a year, have been with a reasonable amount of ladies, all of which are reasonably attractive, am sort of learning French and plan to spend a year in Belgium after ive finished My Geography Degree…

i bet when im the average age of the STW forum Users (37 was it?) there will be some sort of regrets….

Dancake
    Free Member

That I spent most of my 20s building up enormous debt, getting fat and drinking far, far too much alcohol. By the time my wife and I calmed down and started a family, I was 4 stone heavier, £75 grand poorer and 10 years older. Got to love those secured loans, takaways and 8-for-a-fiver booze deals.

CTML
    Free Member

after ive finished My Geography Degree…

Funny you say that, choosing to study Geography just to be against my parent's will has probably been my biggest regret yet. I should have done Economics or Finance. When you realise you want to be at the very top, you also realise that a 'geography degree' stuggles to be recognized in a world already filled to the brim with businese and econ graduates.

BitterBaldingFatty
    Free Member

I regret kicking those beautiful identical twin sisters out of my bed last night once I'd fired my load. If I'd let them stay they could've made my breakfast this morning.

Karinofnine

I lived with a man on his parent's farm. They had working dogs who lived out of doors in sheds/kennels and so on. I was very fond of one, Ben, a border collie. I was encouraged not to be friends with him, but I used to take him for walks and spend time with him. The farmer did not clean out the shed nor nurture Ben as we down here in the south treat our animals. One day after a walk Ben did not want to go back in his house, I made him go back in. Next day I went to see him he was dead. Never forgiven myself. 😥

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Should have done more sex when I was young,but I did o'rate for a funny-looking fecker…

zaskar
    Free Member

I regret quitting med school due to my ethics.

Now I'd rather be wealthy and the hell with my ethics and values!

Need to find a developing country and set up a new business and be rich!

(Screwed it up) Did it my way…

Ed2001
    Free Member

Reading this thread for a **** start.

smell_it
    Free Member

Nope none, and life has thrown up some tough stuff, I must be pretty lucky.

plop_pants
    Free Member

I regret my lack of fish keeping skills.

luke
    Free Member

Regrets, I have a few in no particular order other than the last one which is one of the one's that will haunt me for years to come and cannot be rectifyed later on in life.

Having a drink problem
    Having a gambling problem
    Buggering up my A levels
    Not appealing a decision by the Uni and thus not getting a degree
    Not taking relocation
    Not buying a house at a great price linked to the relocation

Went on a fruit machine bender rather than going to a night club which I'd said i'd go to, I still believe if I'd gone a good mate would still be alive.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

I Shouldn't have fallen in love with someone I shouldn't have fallen in love with!

lyons
    Free Member

zulu – we've all done that right?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘do you have any regrets?’ is closed to new replies.