Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Do you find Clutch mech's do anything at all to prevent chain slap?
  • ndthornton
    Free Member

Since fitting my XT clutch mech over a year ago I don’t think I have lost the chain once on my 2 x 10 setup.

For this reason alone it has been well worth the money but as far as I can tell its done absolutely nothing to quieten down my bike.

Just a little confused why there are so many people claiming clutch mechs reduce or eliminate chain slap.

Having looked at the marks on my bike from where the chain hits, it appears that the bit of chain that flaps about is the top line rather than the bottom line. It makes sense as the top bit of chain doesn’t look like it can be effected or tensioned by the clutch since its isolated from the rear mech at both ends by the chainring and sprocket.

Discuss….

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve fitted clutch mechs on both my FS bikes and am surprised at just how much it’s quelled the chainslap to the point where it’s practically non-existent.

Yetiman
    Free Member

My bike is definitely quieter with the clutch engaged, but it still doesn’t eliminate chain slap entirely as I need to run the chain a bit longer to deal with the 40t T-Rex. If I was running a standard cassette I reckon I could lose a couple of extra links which would almost completely eliminate the slap. My hardtail is even quieter on 1×9, with a clutch-less super short Saint mech, but then I’m able to run the chain quite tight, and the Saint mech has a pretty stiff spring.

plyphon
    Free Member

I rode my first clutch mech on a Giant Anthem 27.5 i hired in New Zealand about a month ago – it was silent! Was impressed.

Northwind

Big difference for me (especially on the 224, which sounds like it only has a couple of spoons inside the swingarm instead of the normal cutlery drawer)

andymc06
    Free Member

Obvious difference for me on rough downhill sections. No chain slap at all with the clutch on. Forgot to switch it on last week and was shocked at the noise when descending. Maybe take a link out of your chain if the rear mech can cope.

amedias
    Free Member

An annoying side effect of fitting a clutched mech for me has been that now I notice the *other* noises, like flapping cables pinging off the top tube, rattling brake lever pivot, trail debris bouncing off downtube etc.

Chainslap basically gone from my experience. You can adjust the clutch for a bit more tension if yours is a bit weak, but if you’re finding its the top section flapping that won’t help much. Do you do a lot of back peddling taking tension off the top run?

legend
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

Big difference for me (especially on the 224, which sounds like it only has a couple of spoons inside the swingarm instead of the normal cutlery drawer)

Funnily enough it’s exactly the same when you put one on a Five

lowey

Pardon the ignorance, but I’ve just got a new bike with one of these on (didnt even know till a mate pointed it out). Do you engage the clutch and keep it that way all the time, or just switch it, say when doing a long descent ?

Thanks.

chris_db
    Free Member

Keep it switched on all the time, only turn off to drop the rear wheel out.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I’m wondering – could it be my suspension design. Both frames I’ve had this mech on have suffered lots and both are VPP designs.

Anyone else running clutch mech and VPP?

Oh and yes the clutch is switched on 🙂

legend
    Free Member

plyphon – Member

I rode my first clutch mech on a Giant Anthem 27.5 i hired in New Zealand about a month ago – it was silent!

VPP setup right there ^

ndthornton
    Free Member

God knows then…..
    My other bike runs an alfine with no tensioner so maybe my senses are just tuned to absolute silence.

tonyg2003

Chain too long?

ndthornton
    Free Member

Chain too long?

couldn’t be a single link shorter or it would pull the mech off on full compression

lowey

I’ll let you know. My bike is VPP and will turn it on for the next ride. Cant say that there was much noticeable slap anyway, although the Bronson has a massive big chuck of rubber surrounding the chainstay.

Thanks for your help.

chrisdw
    Free Member

If you have a chain device the noise will probably be the chain whacking sideways into that.

zerocool

My Orange Alpine is pretty much silent (unless braking hard over rough terrain) since fitting an X9 Type 2 mech. As is the Missus’ Covert

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Do you find Clutch mech's do anything at all to prevent chain slap?’ is closed to new replies.