Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Do you ever think you're too old to start doing something?
  • Tom83

I’m turning 30 in October (to give you some context) and recently have been thinking more and more about taking up skateboarding. I used to in-line skate loads about 9-10 years ago, and went to loads of skate parks etc, and have always wanted to try skate boarding. But work and family commitments when i got into my 20’s meant i never did.

I’ve got room to build a mini ramp in the garden, that can be stored in the garage in the winter and thought it’d be good during the summer, as i can use it once my boys asleep in the evenings (my missus works 4 nights a week). Also it’s something I’d love my boy to take up when he’s older.

My missus pulled a face when i said i was considering it, she thinks it’s a turning 30 thing.

Do you ever want to do something, but wonder if you’re too old for it?

jam-bo
    maccruiskeen

You’re only concerned about being too old to do something because the novelty of being old enough to do things hasn’t worn off yet.

My gf’s 75 year old mother got told off for swinging on the tyre swing in a kids adventure playground a couple of weeks ago.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

30 is easily young enough to learn to skate. i had my skate renaissance at 33 (started in ’75, skated all the way through to the 90s and then drifted out for a few years) and got way back into it for years, discovered downhill, sliding, slalom, even ended up helping build a park. best bit is when you are older and employed skateboards are cheap toys.

its a good time to skate now, there is so much variation. in ’99 it was all street street street and you really had to look to find anything that was’nt a popsicle.

my advice would be to go into it with open eyes, learn to skate everything. wear full pads and helmet, hip pads are good too.

my only warning, as you get older it takes longer to heal. i’m 46 now and don’t skate that much, pretty much a gentle roll around when i do and thats only when i’m out with my 9year old who has just discovered skating transitions and is full on. biggest problem is i get the fear, i know that if i damage myself i won’t be able to surf, and surfing to me is more important. does drive me mad that i can’t bust a rock n roll slide anymore though!

donks
    Free Member

Oh 30 as old as that eh!!! Bloody nipper. You have a good 10-15 years in you yet before you have the piss ripped out of you for arsing about on skateboards.

molgrips
    Free Member

Christ no! Bloody hell!

kerv
    Free Member

48 here and still ride mine when I’m down the park with my boys. I still ride the ramps there, I’m crap at it but I was crap at it back in the seventies too!

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Well, I’m about to turn 30 and am also about to start BMX racing. It crossed my mind I might be too old… It soon passed.

willard

38 here (soon to be 39) and I know damn well that I am too old to start doing some things.

However, I know damn well that I am not too old to start doing other stupid things, like ultra-running. Most of the people I know that do that sort of thing are 40+. I should be in good company.

Tom83

Cheers for the link Jam bo, will check that out.

Looks like it’s not just me then!

stavromuller
    Free Member

I entered my first BMX race when I was 35 and entered last years Singletrack Classic Weekender for the first time at 59 so get a grip and do whatever you want, whenever you can.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Eh????? To old??

Wrong Forum.

We’re all big kids here Sonny. 😆

CountZero

I resurrected my old Hobie board last year. Not ridden it yet, I’m afraid of the bruises I’m almost certain to get, and at 57, they’ll take some time to fade… 😯

oldgit
    Free Member

I resurrected my old Hobie board last year. Not ridden it yet, I’m afraid of the bruises I’m almost certain to get, and at 57, they’ll take some time to fade…

Sooooo jealous. I had mine until quite recently, Hobie twin kick tail, Gul-Wings and OJ’s, and some spare Bones. My mummy chucked it out. I’m 53.

butcher

30 is nothing really. Skateboarding has matured a lot over the years and if you look at the cream of the crop many of them are now well into their 30s and even 40s. And these are people right at the top of their game.

But do be aware that almost all of these people got very good at a very young age. One thing often forgotten is that one of the first things to crumble with age is your ability to learn.

Don’t let that stop you though. I have known people pretty good at it despite starting well into adulthood. Ramps are a pretty good idea – street skating is pretty hard on the body, and if you can find a bowl or good concrete park near you you’ll have great fun learning to carve it up.

Important thing is to enjoy it.

grantway
    Free Member

I still skateboard and a lot older than you and of thinking getting a must have Long Board cracking

scousebri
    Free Member

I ride a long board when ever i get the chance, I’m 42 and it’s much “cooler” than the standard boards. Get a lot of admiring looks from dads when i’m out on the prom.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Do what you want.

grantway
    Free Member

scousebri – Member
    I ride a long board when ever i get the chance, I’m 42 and it’s much “cooler” than the standard boards. Get a lot of admiring looks from dads when i’m out on the prom.

Nice one scousebri
    What Longboard do you recommend

peterfile
    Free Member

When I opened this thread I wasn’t expecting the OP to be the same age as me!

Just go for it.

I recall being 20 and thinking that 30 was old. I now laugh at my 20 year old self, his poor fitness, lack of motivation, imagination and cash.

🙂

kayak23

I’m 39 now, still have two boards but haven’t used them for a year or so since I last skated at Whitstable skatepark, but it’s only really whats closer to hand that means I don’t do it so much now. Don’t want to sell my boards though.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

wear nappies ??

scaredypants

kayak – you haven’t aged well mate

Dales_rider
    Free Member

30 too old, did you have a tough paper round ?

olddog

If you enjoy just go for it, find a skatepark that you can get to early in the morning before the unfeasibly talented 11 year olds turn up

But watch the wear and tear, I had to give up in my early twenties as I was destroying my knees. Having to take sickies because I couldn’t walk on a monday morning is a sign that I was pushing it. I had a brief rebirth in late thirties, but decided I got enough from mountain biking and surfing in the end.

Tom83

@ Dales rider – I wasn’t implying I was too old to start skateboarding, I was opening up the topic as I’ve had quite a lot of ‘but you’re too old look’s from people I’ve been talking about it to.

And my paper round was bloody tough! 😉

samuri
    Free Member

I started BMX racing, dirt jumping and skateboarding in my thirties, all for the first time. I had the time of my life. Brilliant!

What could *possibly* go wrong?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Do you ever think you're too old to start doing something?’ is closed to new replies.