Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Do you ever see people and think "they must be STWers"?
  • peterfile
    Free Member

I was catching an early train to Edinburgh yesterday morning and a guy walked past me with a nice Genesis Day One. Everything about him was STW compliant – bike, accessories, demographic (at a guess) etc.

It almost seemed impossible to me that he could have made all those decisions about his bike and life by sheer chance…there must have been influence. STW 🙂

Seriously, I see quite a lot of people like this, and think that if I asked them “Are you on STW”, i’d be genuinely surprised if they were not.

Does anyone else ever find this, or do I need to take some time out from here?

scotroutes

The latter. Regardless of how many times Mark posts page hit statistics STW users are still only a tiny minority of cyclists. 🙂

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Grumpy? beard? Yes…. probably.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    unklehomered
    Free Member

Yes, but not usually in a good way…

legend
    Free Member

Fatbike + trailcentre…..STWer

tk46hal
    Free Member

I would say that anybody who rides a 29er, 650b, fatebike or something different from the standard stuff has probably been on singletrack sometime in their lives!

banks
    Free Member

Cotic/29er/ti/oakley’s – stw’er

theflatboy
    Free Member

A load of bearded Jones riders flouncing around Swanage while we were trying to enjoy a stag do: STWers. 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

Niche bike and appalling dress sense, either:

Very slim, beige action slacks, a black jacket that looks like a lightweight softshell with little tags hanging off the zips and a pair of beige merril approach shoes.

Short, fat, a black pair of DC shoes, jeans that don’t fit very well (if in the north there will be superfluous pockets and strange stitched details or logos) a hoody that despite being baggy is stretched across their paunch, a pair of white Oakley’s perched upon their bald sweating head.

slugwash
    Free Member

load of bearded Jones riders flouncing around Swanage while we were trying to enjoy a stag do

Which stag do were you? The well dressed tweedie/plus fourers, the badly dressed pirates or the even more badly dressed Gooners, rolling around in a collapsed heap singing (out of tune) Arsenal songs ??

soobalias
    Free Member

the fat bloke, getting a 5 out of the back of an audi and pushing it across a carpark in Surrey to get coffee and cake…..

theflatboy
    Free Member

slugwash – Member

load of bearded Jones riders flouncing around Swanage while we were trying to enjoy a stag do

Which stag do were you? The well dressed tweedie/plus fourers, the badly dressed pirates or the even more badly dressed Gooners fans, rolling around in a collapsed heat singing Arsenal songs ??

🙂

slugwash
    Free Member

I salute your style Flatboy 🙂

And BTW, I invented the Arsenal stag party.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Met a guy last year whilst out & about; rigid singlespeed inbred, sporting beard – didn’t bother asking cos it was too obvious 😉

Turned out he brews real ale for a living!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sitting in a pub, with an expensive camera hanging round your neck, endlessly listing your “not cool” clothes until you find something that someone is wearing which promptly gives you an erection, and occasionally, to your eternal shame muttering the words “not trendy”? You’re definitely a STWer.

binners

Out on the west Pennine moors, on an Orange 5, on your own, at night. Defo STWer!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

the fat bloke, getting a 5 out of the back of an audi and pushing it across a carpark in Surrey to get coffee and cake…..

This, or wobbling down trails, then in the carpark later telling everyone very loudly how fast they were ‘shredding’ everything in sight.

Those Youtube video’s are frighteningly accurate.

patriotpro
    Free Member

An STWer was on secret eaters the other night, they just haven’t yet come forward yet…

gordonb
    Free Member

the bloke I see most mornings pushing his singlespeed up Glasgow road heading towards East Kilbride, normally at the top of Greenlees road has to be a STWer

samuri
    Free Member

Nah. At my sisters wedding, the best man came across. We got talking, he was what you’d consider the atypical STWer I reckon. Niche bike, right age, works in the medical industry. He was bob on but he’d barely heard of the magazine and had never been on the website.

bikebouy
    Free Member

At Charlie’s do last weekend hardly anyone admitted who they were on STW. As it was really only advertised on here me thinks we’re all a bit embarrassed to acknowledge the fact that we frenquent such a place 😆

footflaps

This site has a tiny number of posters compared with number of bikers. I know very few other riders who use STW or even know of it.

Drac

Audi, Border Terrier owner and owns an Orange.

Edukator
    Free Member

I stayed in a gîte in Bagnères de Luchon last week, Le Lutin. The guy had an accent but the conversation stayed in French as my riding buddy doesn’t speak English. I told him that when I was looking on the Net the name Lutin said something to me, site X: no, site Y: no, STW: yes.

Great gîte BTW if you’re in need of somewhere to stay in the Pyrénées.

collinstiffee
    Free Member

Think there are a lot around Glasgow. We do like our niche bikes…

kayak23

I only started coming here as I found a lot of stuff funny. Don’t actively read the mag or consider myself typical stw demographic.
    Sort of habit now, though obviously a lot of stuff is funny, interesting, or informative.
    I just wish everyone would stop going on about wheel size.

Been on quite a few xc rides with folks or seen people at trail centres who I think MUST be on here…

fatalbert
    Free Member

I seen a chap today who resembled Roy Cropper, doing a few brass rubbings in our local parish church. Defo a STWer

slugwash
    Free Member

I seen a chap today who resembled Roy Cropper doing a few brass rubbings in our local parish church. Defo a STWer

Dunno, could be from the Audax sub-forum of YACF

tomhoward

Saw a chap in the lbs wearing a stw tee. Guess he was one. I guess in his 60s picking up a trek 29er. I was wearing the same t shirt. But in a different colour, and under a top. 😳 I daren’t make myself known.

singlespeedstu

deadlydarcy – Member

“Oh no i’ve got a puncture. These tyres are impossible to get off the rims.”

“Oh you seem to have fixed my flat for me while i was talking shit to your Mrs and fannying about looking for tyre levers.”

Definitely a STWer. 😉

I stayed in a gîte in Bagnères de Luchon last week, Le Lutin.

Russ’s cookings quite good isn’t it. 🙂

tazzymtb

As it was really only advertised on here

all over one cog and the SSUK facebook so not too many STWers in swanage.

EDIT in fact for next years SSUK we may have a penalty for STW forumites

singlespeedstu

in fact for next years SSUK we may have a penalty for STW forumites

Does it envolve salty soggy biscuits?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Saw a bunch of guys at a shop in North Berwick today.
    Fat bikes
    Niche brands
    Beards

I asked and yes, some were STWers.

Hi guys if you’re reading this. 😀

tazzymtb

Does it involve salty soggy biscuits?

I think you may run dry before we get to them all stu, Maybe you can stock pile some in a few jam jars

singlespeedstu

tazzy.
    I’ll wring a few old socks out…

munrobiker
    Free Member

Pretty much anyone on a 29er I assume to be on here, or at least some part of the internet where reading too much and riding too little is the norm.

tazzymtb

Pretty much anyone on a 29er I assume to be on here, or at least some part of the internet where reading too much and riding too little is the norm.

singlespeedstu

or at least some part of the internet where reading too much and riding too little is the norm.

That’s right isn’t it Luke.
    Because your far too busy riding anti 29er trolling to ever post on internet forums.

ratherbeintobago

TBH I don’t know anyone else who rides and (admits to) posts on here.

Including one who owns a 29er.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Anyone with loads of strava KOM’s they’ve just lost is clearly an STW’er

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Do you ever see people and think "they must be STWers"?’ is closed to new replies.