Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Do you ever grow out of walkie talkies?
  • core

I’ve just dug some out (tevion terrain 550) because I think they’ll come in handy around the farm etc, can’t help but still get that silly feeling I did as a kid messing around with them playing armies, or swearing/burping/farting through them, thought I was past that, but apparently not………

organic355
    Free Member

I love using them in ski resorts, theres always some numpty on your channel and the quality is so bad I always pretend to be their mate and arrange to meet them for lunch at the bottom cafe. A source of amusement on long chairlifts.

tinsy
    Free Member

Ha ha, great, of course perfectly rational boy/man behaviour… I might get some to play with Jr.

meehaja
    Free Member

I feel embarresed using them for work, but amoungst friends I become an american truck driver (sans truck).

organic355
    Free Member

“We got ourselves a CONVOY!!”

peterfile
    Free Member

I’ve got some great Motorola ones that i’ve had for years. They are brilliant for skiing, but also kept in the packs on long climbing routes on mountains in winter (and summer!) in case the weather or geology means that communication is impossible but necessary. Still not needed to use them, rope communication is usually sufficient in out of sight/earshot pitches in winter, but they weigh next to nothing and could come in handy some day, so I’ll continue to carry.

fasthaggis

Excellent ,I had forgotten all about mine,I may have to dig them out for shed to house communications ,over 😉

greyman
    Free Member

@peterfile – I could have quoted that word for word …. spooky !

toys19
    Free Member

They are really rather good fun.

My mate had them the last few years in Morzine, we spent all our time making casual observers think we were some kind of professional walkie talkie users by using phonetic code.

“Whiskey Alpha November Kilo Echo Romeo, this is Tango Whiskey Alpha Tango, what’s your 20? Over.”

Anyone who actually listened was either appalled or amused..

wukfit
    Free Member

… what’s your 20? OVER”

FTFY 🙂

toys19
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVq4_HhBK8Y[/video]

Northwind

if they look like toys, I feel silly using them. But if they look proper, then serious business is occurring. They contain batteries, circuits, and self importance.

madhouse

I put a CB in my VW camper, got it when I went touring with mates around Europe. Great fun, makes trips much more fun and totally legal too.

MrOvershoot

I hate the things, mainly as I have to carry one all day round site and it means you can’t escape (I do turn it of in the traps as its bloody obvious where you are if you answer).
    That and several co workers who insist on running them with the volume at 11 so it just blows your ears in with distortion & cuts any conversation dead.

mark90
    Free Member

Great for skiing, especially with speaker/mics clipped on jacket meaning radio stored in pocket. Easier to manage with gloves on and has a more ‘professional’ look as they can’t see the barbie/ben10 radios 😉

Best thing is making comments about the person your mate is standing next too 😆

stumpy01

No, you never grow out of it. Over.

legend
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJCfUm21BsI[/video]

Klunk
    Free Member

thought it was quite amusing to see a couple of chaps using them at CyB a few years ago now they were only yards apart 😕

tomhoward

Used them everywhere from festivals to working in a bar, to riding the alps.

Always felt cool/awesome using them. Over.

hooli

That’s the best thing about kids, perfect opportunity to play with walkie talkies, logo, scaletrix etc

core

Tango whiskey alpha tango was a firm favourite for radio comms in my school days, that and the commenting on the bloke stood next to your mate, great laugh, especially if you make out they made the initial comment “are you by the bloke you said had a huge nose?” Etc

falkirk-mark

We use them in the work (motorola gp680)and TBH it is only the people that hardly ever use them that say over.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Do you ever grow out of walkie talkies?’ is closed to new replies.