• This topic has 34 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • do you ever get the feeling you live in the dumbest country
  • Klunk
    Free Member

on the planet

either phishing or genuine, I can’t be bothered to check by I got an account email from the bank that had below the links to Visit our Website and Update your details the following

Nationwide and other genuine organisations will never contact you out of the blue by email, asking you to update your information or log directly into the Internet Bank.

wtaf!!!!

jam-bo

occasionally, but then I do another trip to the USA.

wwaswas

do you ever get the feeling you live in the dumbest country

either phishing or genuine, I can’t be bothered to check

confused

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Klunk
    Free Member

🙂 It gets deleted as I assume it’s phishing.

johndoh
    Free Member

I assume you know they skim the contents of actual email styles the banks send out to make them look genuine – and by including such details (albeit it under a button that contradicts it) they look more believable and unfortunately some people are caught out.

Just last week a young developer at our place (who is very intelligent and works in the industry so should be very wise to such scams) was nearly caught out by the current TV licence scam going around.

Rather than *us* being dumb, *they* are getting more devious and clever in their attempts to defraud people.

chakaping
    Free Member

I worked with one of the big high street banks a lot over the last three years, as you’d expect there was a LOT of phishing attempts but it always surprised me how few people fell for it.

The customers might not be able to spell or control their temper over minor annoyances, but they’re not as dumb as you might think.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Dumb rant.

Phishing emails are intentionally stupid to weed out the clever

jam-bo

i had a cold call from the ‘bank’ the other day where when I declined to ‘confirm my identity’ the caller even gave me the bank website address to check the number he was calling from was genuine.

it wasn’t.
    i told him.
    he hung up.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Most definitely…

Example No1

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Guy I used to work with, was apparently, about to inherit “a lot of money, like 7 figures” from an unknown long lost relative in America. Yeah, you can guess the rest.

ton

dumbest and by far the laziest.

willard

And yet, send them a weaponised pdf purporting to be menu choices for the Chirstmas party and people actually e-mail the phoney support person complaining they can’t register their choices and can they have the chicken.

True story.

taxi25
    Free Member

My mum had a phone call from a “heir hunting” company telling her she was eligible for a share of an estate.
    She was and she did 😀

plumber
    Free Member

only when I lived in Canada

batfink
    Free Member

My friends stepmother (in America) just got scammed out of 10,000 USD !

They phoned her up claiming to be a bail bondsman letting her know that her son had been involved in a fatal car accident (a child had been killed, he was 3x over the limit) and so was being held in police custody – please “wire” 10k in the next hour otherwise he’s going to prison. They even put somebody on a very crackly line for a few seconds (he’s in custody, remember) who she believed to be him.

They were so believable that she didn’t even try to call him on his mobile…

When she found out it was a scam, she was obviously annoyed/embarrassed, but mostly she was hugely relieved that he hadn’t actually killed a child whilst drunk driving.

globalti
    Free Member

British people are stupid but not dumb, they make a lot of noise, most of it nonsense. How I hate the misuse of the word dumb.

chakaping
    Free Member

Curious whether you include yourself in the “dumb and lazy” box? Just that I’ve noticed most people who say that kind of thing are talking about others.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Nationwide are not a bank 🏦

hooli

I had to explain to my mum’s neighbour just before Christmas that she didn’t win the Canadian lottery for the following reasons:

a. You cant win a lottery if you didn’t buy a ticket
    b. Even if you did win, they don’t email people to tell them. Even if they did, surely it wouldn’t come from a hotmail account and how would they get her email address
    c. Even if the above were true, what are the odds of them needing £900 transferred by western union to release the money…

Somehow this well educated lady has made it to 65 years old

globalti
    Free Member

Unfortunately as people enter old age the part of the brain, which controls belief becomes less effective, which is how elderly folk get conned so easily.

ton

Curious whether you include yourself in the “dumb and lazy” box? Just that I’ve noticed most people who say that kind of thing are talking about others.

I made my comment from the view of a life long cycle commuter.
    if I ride on the roads to leeds (3 miles) from my house, in rush hour, it is a solid line of traffic the whole journey, moving at walking pace.
    I consider this both dumb and lazy of the people sat in their cars every day week in week out.
    you could cycle the distance in half the time. you could walk the distance probably as quickly.

this scenario will be seen throughout the UK at rush hours.
    hence me saying dumb and lazy to the op’s question.

dougiedogg
    Free Member

I live in N.Ireland, its not a feeling its fact

johndoh
    Free Member

We’ve got to the stage where we have to discuss such matters with the in-laws regularly. However my father-in-law is now so suspicious, when we were on holiday together last year and he tried to connect to the holiday home’s internet he complained it wasn’t working (I managed it fine). It turned out he wouldn’t click on the link that popped up asking him to agree to their terms and continue then, when I logged him on, convinced himself that his bank account had been compromised (he’d forgotten about a transaction he’d made).

Bless ’em.

jam-bo

if I ride on the roads to leeds (3 miles) from my house, in rush hour, it is a solid line of traffic the whole journey, moving at walking pace.
    I consider this both dumb and lazy of the people sat in their cars every day week in week out.
    you could cycle the distance in half the time. you could walk the distance probably as quickly.

do they all drive from your house?
    if not, could they all park at your house and borrow your bike?

nicko74

plumber

only when I lived in Canada

Funny, was just thinking that…

Drac

No, not when I see country who continues to have an orange giant baby as a president.

this scenario will be seen throughout the UK at rush hours.

Only some parts of the UK, cities for example. The answer is don’t live or commute to a city.

johndoh
    Free Member

if I ride on the roads to leeds (3 miles) from my house

That’s what you are doing wrong – you should ride your MTB through the Harewood Estate, Meanwood Valley etc and avoid all the queues completely (that’s what I did when I rode Harrogate > Headingley to work). I had a short road section near Burn Bridge and another in Headingley, otherwise it was all track.

ton

do they all drive from your house?
    if not, could they all park at your house and borrow your bike?

I forgot to add, I live in a village, and the queue is out of said village.

johndoh, I said if I ride that way, which a never do, but I cross over and under the queue on my ride

fooman

People use their cars as 2 tonne mobility scooters. I frequently cycle the 5 miles to work where most folk drive 2x or 3x less distance to be there.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I forgot to add, I live in a village, and the queue is out of said village.

In that case, can they park their cars at your workplace and borrow your bike for the rest of their journey? 😉

ton

In that case, can they park their cars at your workplace and borrow your bike for the rest of their journey? 😉

no, because they are too lazy and dumb to do that.

thepurist

I cross over and under the queue on my ride

ton on his way to work

View post on imgur.com

fotorat
    Free Member

What about these factors:

Send our recycling to China
    House pyscotic murders on free Full Board for life
    Pay farmers not to grow crops
    Restrict free speech with our legislature
    Have a hereditary Monarchy and call it a democracy.
    Have nuclear powered and armed Submarines
    Have homeless people in our towns with Tuberculosis
    Cant stop the illicit drug trade.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

None of those make us dumb, just part of a world

The way you phrase them makes a difference too.
    House pyscotic murders on free Full Board for life/Believe in the ability to reform/Not execute our fellow humans along with most of the developed world
    Pay farmers not to grow crops/Structure a vital part of the national infrastructure to deliver more of what we need and not drive each other out of business
    Restrict free speech with our legislature/Protect members of society from harassment and hate speech
    Have a hereditary Monarchy and call it a democracy./Understand that our monarchy is purely ceremonial and that our parliament is a democracy

etc.

People do however at times seem to have a more narrow or focused view of things, less exposure to other aspects of life. IT and web stuff being the prime example.

Drac

Send our recycling to China – Until we can recycle our own waste its better option than disposal.

House pyscotic murders on free Full Board for life – Prison isn’t the lovely place the Daily Mail tell you it is.

Pay farmers not to grow crops – Yeah that’s not really how it works.

Restrict free speech with our legislature – You don’t know what free speech means

Have a hereditary Monarchy and call it a democracy. – No that’s not quite right

Have nuclear powered and armed Submarines – Not really sure that counts but I agree we should not renew them

Have homeless people in our towns with Tuberculosis – We have homeless people is bad enough but I’m not sure any country that doesn’t.

Cant stop the illicit drug trade. – Will we could but most of the public are scared of the alternative

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘do you ever get the feeling you live in the dumbest country’ is closed to new replies.