Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • Do you ever buy a tabloid newspaper? Given the Leveson enquiry, why?
  • Pook

to be honest, if you think the practices exposed at the notw are confined to tabloids, then you’re naive.

One of my sun journo friends is embarrassing herself by towing the party line of innocence currently on Facebook incidentally.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

The Times is a Murdoch paper, so is only the Sun in a cheap suit.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I personally couldn’t care less if JK Rowling, Carlotte Church, or Anne Diamond get their phones tapped. They sold their souls to become media whores (well, maybe not Anne), so can suffer the consequences. If the first two had written some art that had an ounce of quality then only the Guardian types on here would give a shite and no one would care. It’s like the Hugh Grant thing- Loves being a movie star in the limelight, but gets annoyed when a journo takes a picture of him eating a pasty. You can’t have your cake and eat it, Hugh.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Is it just Rowling, Church et als’ phones being hacked you don’t care about?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

GlitterGary – Member

You can’t have your cake and eat it, Hugh.

…..or Gary.

Your hero GlitterGary, recently thought press intrusion was unacceptable, media watchdog officials however thought differently.

Gary Glitter – Gary Glitter’s Complaint About Tv ‘Hanging’ Rejected

But officials at Ofcom ruled that Glitter had a “well-publicised reputation in relation to child sex offences”, so there was “likely to be little scope for additional damage to his reputation”.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

He’s not my hero, I would never have a hero – far too crass. He did however, write the greatest Christmas song of all time, which is never played anymore. Lucky swine, that Noddy Holder. Oh, and darcy, in answer to your question, yes.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

He did however, write the greatest Christmas song of all time, which is never played anymore.

Funny that.

💡 Is because Christmas time, children having fun, and paedophiles, don’t mix ?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

So it’s just the phone hacking you care about. You’re not cool with the rest of it. I’m thinking your hero quite liked being able to see Rowling’s daughter in her swimsuit. And of course the countdown clock to Church’s 16th birthday was merely a “time left” rather than a “time till” thing for him too.

Are you cool with a pregnancy being more or less announced to the world before the girl has a chance to inform family because some scum journo has listened to the voicemail left on her phone by her doctor?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

You bunch of sad-act Internet bullies. Have a word with yourselves.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You bunch of sad-act Internet bullies. Have a word with yourselves.

Boo-hoo

Toughen up mate. The world of celebrity paedophile is tough.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Boo-hoo you, you dick. Are we even? 😆

jota180
    Free Member

Back to the OP

I don’t buy newspapers, end of
    Never have, never will
    I listen to the news on the radio in the car [usually R2] and sometimes the 10 o’clock news on TV but that’s it really

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Are we even?

Well we might be if I was to change my username to King Jonathan.

But I’m not generally impressed by celebrity paedophiles. So I would say no.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

You sad, sad little man. 😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

“When you live in the gutter and only have rats to feed on you only print what you see” *

I used to buy the Telegraph, I know but I did, I thought it was quite a good read back in the 90’s and it fitted the environment I was in at the time. I bought the Times for a few years after that but stopped back in 03’ and never bought a Sunday Paper in my life, I’ve got too many other things I like doing thanks.

As for phone tapping, it’s inherently wrong, spying should only be carried out by MI5 and the like for preventative purposes only.

“Reap What You Sow” *

* Other Quotes are available

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ll read tabloids before broadsheets if there is one lying around at work etc. I wouldnt buy one, but for some light hearted entertainment why not read?

iDave
    Free Member

Why are people like JK Rowling fair game? Why does anyone care to read about her on her holidays? She wrote some books, that may or may not be good and may have made her lots of money. So what?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ah poor Gary. Sorry mate. Having a sensitive day? Put the kettle on. Camomile tea?

samuri
    Free Member

However, I go home to my mum and listen to her spout shite she reads in the (Oirish) Daily Mail.

Makes me sad.

+1

My mum, who is an intelligent, well travelled and educated woman, reads the daily mail. It makes no sense. She doesn’t seem to have any issues with immigrants and the like though.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Darcy – apology accepted. Now don’t do it again.

boltonjon

I used to read the Express – our family Newspaper when growing up. However, having grown up and realised what utter rubbish is printed in the tabloids i’ve not bought one in over 10 years

Used to enjoy the Sunday Times, but since the telephone bugging story broke, i’ve refused to buy anything Murdoch related.

This includes Formula 1 for next year. Probably watched my last ever race last Sunday. Do they think that writing SKY on the side of Webbers car will make me waste £45 a month to watch it next year??

Currently read the Guardian on-line. Appears to give a good angle on things – yes, they are baying for blood with the whole phone hacking scandle, but the Government and the Police were too blind (corrupt/scared) to do anything!!

I also look forward to Newsnight on a Tuesday (Jesus, i’ve become middle aged and middle class!!)

Also really fancy that MP Louise Mensk (whats happend to me….an MP :cry:)

However, if no-one is seriosuly punished (i.e. jailed) for lying to the select comittee. Andy Coulson/Rebakah Brooks/James Murdoch etc, then it really shows what kind of society we now live in.

I don’t care too much about celebs, but they are human, and if this whole episode improves the quality of the press in the UK, then i’m right behind the celebs

Personally, i believe Max Mosely is playing a major part in this whole fight against the tabloids – he is one clever man and, i believe, the only guy capable of managing the broad front of celebs, MPs and normal people (McGanns etc) to all rally against the press through phone hacking & the Levison enquiry

Go on Max!!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Now don’t do it again.

Easy. Just don’t spout bollocks and I’ll leave you alone. Poor thing. There there.

jota180
    Free Member

our family Newspaper when growing up

One of the Beaverbrooks?

clubber
    Free Member

My mum, who is an intelligent, well travelled and educated woman, reads the daily mail. It makes no sense. She doesn’t seem to have any issues with immigrants and the like though.

+1 too. Bizarre isn’t it?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Phew. Not just mine then. I suspect many people get a little more right wing as they get older and end up buying the papers whose headlines they like.

I remember my mum, at the time of the first ever bank strikes in Ireland (back in the eighties some time) telling me that if I ever crossed a picket, and she found out, that she’d not let me cross the threshold of the front door. I still imagine that that person is inside her somewhere.

clubber
    Free Member

Nah, she’s been reading it for 25 years! And she (and my Dad) were proper hippies back in the day….

Plus she’s an immigrant (Well French so one of the ‘good’ types of immigrants 🙂 )

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

I suspect many people get a little more right wing as they get older

Look at poor old Melanie Phillips – I remember reading her stuff in the Guardian in the early 90s when she was railing against the impact of Thatcherism on community cohesion. Got a bit of a shock when I came across her in the Daily Mail, spouting all sorts of bile. Someone’s politics changing I can cope with, but the tone of her writing has gone from being considered to petty spitefulness. Sad to see really.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Rarely buy a paper tbh …. Sometimes the aberdeen press and journal or the dundee courier if i want to see whats going on locally events wise , buy a car , buy some second hand furniture , house shopping ….

But not for the actual news – then i recycle it by using it to light the fire 🙂

hora
    Free Member

No and I wont buy a Guardian either after their irresponsible reporting (and conjecture) on the IPC investigation. According the Guardian a gun wasn’t found, then it was planted, then it was removed. Thank **** no idiot can or would bother to pick up their crap.

Its a leftwing version of the Daily Mail in my opinion.

ourmaninthenorth

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGscoaUWW2M[/video]

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

hora, you don’t buy the guardian because you can’t understand it.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

“Sun readers don’t care who’s running the country, as long as they’ve got nice t*ts”

Good photo of Dave with a pair of massive t*ts…

clubber
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member

To be fair, he doesn’t buy the Daily Sport for the same reason…

hora
    Free Member

Or I value the pound in my pocket.

ncfenwick
    Free Member

No tabloids just Guardian and Observer on a weekend. Mainly for sport so longing for the day when we have sport only daily papers like Italy and Spain

robowns
    Free Member

Ive read them in the past and would buy again if I was bored on the train. One person has never and will never make a difference.

Bazz

Just to add to this, i think all news paper editors should have a resposibility to differentiate between what is in the public interest and whats interesting to the public.

kimbers

never bought a tabloid never will
    ahve bought the sunday/ times, guardian/observer, i, independent maybe 5 a year of each (tho times is too trashy these days- dont even start on the torygraph…)
    id like to but too busy these days to read them

have intelligent educated mates who read tabloids
    my mum reads the mail too, its trning er into a racist imho

i really hope the pcc gets replaced with a tough legislative defined watchdog similar to the bbfc or even ofcom after all this, a free press doesnt have to mean the constant drip-feed of racism, lies and life ruing tawdry trash that weve become accustomed to.

my only worry is that people like murdoch have their hands so far up our PMs backside that nothing will actually change

hora
    Free Member

Going back a few years mind but the Telegraph used to be an informative and a good read.

Now its 50:50 advertising, short descriptive headline grabber then a few short paragraphs re-explaining what the title means or sometimes a totally different meaning to the headline above. ‘MAN CHARGE WITH RAPE AND MURDER’

(inside) ‘Joy Yates Landlord could soon be charged with her disappearance’.

They are all as bad as each other. No newspaper can be classed as having any moral high ground.

I’m also sick of the BBC’s wall to wall coverage of talking up a recession. Have a read of this- http://www.ft.com/markets its not all dropping off a cliff face/’markets in turmoil’ as reported by the Beeb.

I remember a whole week of this then immediately after they’d report on where the markets closed. All were up that week. FFS.

kimbers

4.22pm: McMullan says he regrets the stories he did on Jennifer Elliott, the daughter of actor Denholm Elliott.

She became a drug user and started begging following the death of her father and the News of the World exposed this.

I really regret it because I’d got to know her very well and I really quite liked her. The fact she was begging outside Chalk Farm station came from a police officer, who had been surprised when he asked her to move on.

I went too far on that story. Someone crying out for help, not crying out for a News of the World reporter.

I then took her back to her flat and took a load of pictures of her topless.

Then she went on TV and described me as her boyfriend.

He adds:

When I heard a few years later that she’d killed herself I thought ‘Yeah that’s one I really regret.’ But there’s not many.

Sometimes I wouldn’t have bought the News of the World even though I worked for it, but the British public carried on.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Do you ever buy a tabloid newspaper? Given the Leveson enquiry, why?’ is closed to new replies.