Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Do you consider this a parking space…
  • themoodster
    Free Member

the footpath next to the parked car…

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ifpoklo3yqhnzut/2012-11-24%2014.32.02.jpg

or to put it more controversial way are the majority of van drivers ****?

or am I being over-sensitive; on a number of occasions recently I’ve found vans parked like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/twqyu0k9c26dlno/2012-11-24%2014.11.03.jpg

which is starting to piss me off.

when I questioned a builder doing some work on our neighbours flat recently on his choice of parking spaces, considering the road is uncontrolled parking and there was plenty of space on it, he said he needed to park there to unload his stuff. which to my mind was going to be bloody difficult for him since he’d parked nose on to the building and would be unloading his stuff into the road 🙄

discuss…

(edited for drop box fail)

sc-xc

I would consider that a little blue question mark….

nickjb
    Free Member

It’s a bit rude but it’s not exactly a well manicured lawn. Pretty typical of van drivers round here IMHO

cheers_drive

The house over the road from (cul d sac) is having some work done at the moment and the parking of the various trade people is ridiculous. They constantly block residents in and take ages to move the vans when requested. I except that they may need to park there when unloading but most of the time they are just working inside. The labourer is even worse and parks his car overhanging two neighbours drives making it impossible for anyone to pass parked vans on the other side. There is a perfectly good road 30m away with loads of space on it.

themoodster
    Free Member

it’s not my car btw, before anyone suggests moving it!

poly
    Free Member

if thats the biggest problem in your life then I think you are doing pretty well.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Has the OP read the side of the van in his second pic?

Junkyard
    Free Member

IF you need the path to access your property then I would complain about it just in case I accidentally bump them with my bars when passing them

On of my old neighbours used to this even if the road was completely clear. Parkon the kerb so her car door opened on to the gate which meant my bike could not get out of mine and past her car.
    After one particularly stroppy response from her to move her car so i could get out I stopped asking 😈

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Have you ever been a van driver on a full time basis.? I have and it’s amazing what you interpret as a parking space.

irc

If you own a share of the path and verge surely this is easily cured with a bollard concreted into the verge?

catfood
    Free Member

Or one of the local hospital workers who will stick there cars pretty much anywhere including across half the junction to our road to avoid paying parking in the hospital (which they should not have to imo).

davidjones15
    Free Member

Where does that little road go? And why has the car driver parked so far from the kerb? Has this prevented the van from parking on the other side?
    Why is it such a problem for you?

bencooper
    Free Member

Pfft – I’ll raise you:

themoodster
    Free Member

bencooper – Member
    Pfft – I’ll raise you

Win!

landcruiser
    Free Member

Is it a parking space ? No!
    Is it rude? Yes!
    Would it annoy me? Yes!
    Does it happen all the time? Yes!
    Does what I think, make any difference to people trying to collect/deliver etc? No!

themoodster
    Free Member

Where does that little road go? And why has the car driver parked so far from the kerb? Has this prevented the van from parking on the other side?

It’s the shared driveway to our block of flats and the footpath is how we access the front door of the flats from the pavement. The car is fine where it is, thats the accepted way of parking in the building.

Stoner
    Free Member

Turn that scraggy bit of “grass” into a properly tended flower bed. Make sure there are substantial shrubs in there.

piemonster

Are you not a bit old for Star Wars models?

SST
    Free Member

and a bit old for choo choo trains . . . 😉

Clearly you still live at home – let your dad worry about it?

🙂

avdave2

he said he needed to park there to unload his stuff. which to my mind was going to be bloody difficult for him since he’d parked nose on to the building and would be unloading his stuff into the road

Erm have you ever backed a Luton up to a wall and then tried to unload a carpet?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Who cares, I drive a van and it’s great, you get away with parking anywhere you like. A combination of Hi-Vis, white van and hazard lights gives you access to break any rule you like 🙂

willard

That’s why I want to buy a panel van… You can park anywhere! Mind you, mine will have a sofa and a TV in the back so hat I can use it when I am out kayaking and cycling, but will be a classic battered white van from the outside.

On a similar note though, people use the grass outside our house to turn around on when they can’t be bothered to three point turn around. I’ve often thought of guerrilla landscaping it with some six inch posts set in concrete one night in summer…

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Willard, how about some of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFzjFX2E2og

dribbling
    Free Member

From the thread title, I was hoping for something more.

aracer
    Free Member

Turn that scraggy bit of “grass” into a properly tended flower bed. Make sure there are substantial shrubs landmines* in there.

FTFY

*with a magnetic detection trigger so as to avoid injuring innocent pedestrians.

project
    Free Member

We had a similar problem with a neighbour parking his car on the verge at the side of the entrance, so a few cast iron bollards did the trick of stopping him, pity taxi drivers dont use their wing mirrors as they have been hit about 5 times, causing serious damage to few cars.
    Even a paramedic leaving nearly hit them, only me shouting BOLLARDS stoped him, as he stopped and asked politely why i was shouting ballocks at him, he did see the funny side when he got out and looked and saw he was a few inches from a serious dent.

You could also bury a length of woodd with some seriously big nails sticking up fromit but then you may impale some crapping dog.

bigyinn
    Free Member

bencooper – Member

Pfft – I’ll raise you:
    Completely OT, but was that pic taken on the switchback (opposite vets college farm) on the way to Anniesland?

scaredypants

bencooper – quality location !

hairdressers, chinese takeaway (?), curry house, clap clinic, and kerrazy bikes to top it off

why would anyone ever go elsewhere ? 😀

bencooper
    Free Member

It’s a foot clinic – it used to be an off-license, saddest day of my life when it closed 😉

Completely OT, but was that pic taken on the switchback (opposite vets college farm) on the way to Anniesland?

Sure was…

willard

Dan, quality!!

I love those rising bollards, but the scariest thing I have done in a car was drive over a set of them that were “broken” between car parks as a short cut last year. Five seconds of error as I imagined my car being hurled into the air by a vengeful god of chance. Like russian roulette with a car.

Or something.

matt_outandabout

You want to try living at a touristy scenic hot-spot – with double yellow’s all the way down the road except private drives in front of houses…
    Best bit is when you suggest that is your private garden they are parked in, and the lay-by is 50m up the road, or 200space car park 200m the other way, they argue that ‘its only a few mins to take a picture’ or ‘well you should paint private on it / put a big sign up / cone it off / other random excuse’.
    Normally it just washes over us – there are bigger things in life.
    BUT
    Only once did I get really cross with someone who just swore in return to a polite request from my wife to park outside her own house, to unload 5 kids from a car…that I parked my two cars within a rizla of back and front bumpers. They had to come and ask nicely to move the cars – but we were having tea, so were only a couple of minutes…

toss
    Free Member

Hows about this then! Asda, Bolton. What a ****

davidjones15
    Free Member

Hows about this then! Asda, Bolton. What a ****

Can’t really see whether there is a disability badge or not in the car. 😕

coffeeking
    Free Member

Oooh ooh a parking thread, I’ll reel out my usual one:

dr_death
    Free Member
    singlespeedstu

dr death that site’s awsum.

julianwilson
    Free Member

OP, that ‘space’ could be worth £50k in St Ives.

Seriously though, I suppose I would have parked the Luton on the road: like you say, easier to get a roll of carpet out parallel to the pavement rather than perperendicular to it. Is it a busy road?

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Do you consider this a parking space…’ is closed to new replies.