Do you carry a pump?

• This topic has 52 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by  Yak.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Do you carry a pump?
  • prezet

How many of you carry a pump on your rides? Do you prefer to throw one in your pack, hip-pack or mount them on your frame?

Or do you never carry a pump and always favour a C02 cartridge?

scotroutes

99.9% of the time, a pump. CO2 cartridges aren’t, AFAIK, refillable so I like to avoid.

Premier Icon wors
    Subscriber

CO2, never had an issue.

kerley

A mini pump is the only thing I carry. CO2 cartridges are wasteful and mess with sealant. As I run tubeless I may need to top up the tyre is it doesn’t seal quickly enough.

Premier Icon mattbee
    Subscriber

Both. CO2 cartridge and filler in steerer tube and a Topeak mini carbon thing by the bottle cage.
    Sometimes you want a bit more pressure but not enough to use a whole co2 cartridge.
    Touch wood I’ve not needed either for months though!

Pump, mounted on frame. Danger with CO2 is if you mess up inflating the tyre somehow and use up all your cartridge(s), you’re goosed.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

MTB – minipump in the Camelbak. With a shiny hole plugger.
    Commute – frame attached minipump, same shiny hole plugger.
    Tubeless on both

Commute: Usually pump and puncture repair kit.

Very local spin: Nope.

Out to South Downs: Yep >99% of the time. Spare tube too if it’s a planned 50+ ride.

ads678

Pump on the MTB in ruck sack or frame bag. CO2 on the road bike in saddle pack.

Pump and tubes on every ride, have a couple of CO2 cartridges as well on the roadie. I never want to be “that guy”….

globalti

Inner tube and two CO2 cartridges. Last summer I used all of those when I failed to detect a tiny shard of glass lodged in the tyre carcass so flagged down a passing cyclist who let me use his pump. The tyre went down again though so I ended up phoning Mrs Gti for a pickup.

Premier Icon Tracey
    Subscriber

C02 and Dynaplug, pump and a tube. All fit in the SWAT box along with some snacks

Klunk

mountain morph in the pack for the mtb, road morph attached to frame on the road. (2 tubes and and a repair kit on both)

IHN

‘Nice’ roady – CO2 cartridges and adaptor thing

Commuter/tourer – pump mounted on frame

MTB – pump in pack

All tubed.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

never had a CO2. i carry pumps sometimes.. usually if i’m out with my boy as him getting a puncture is far more drastic than getting one myself.

philjunior

Pump and tube, location depending on bike. XC bike sits race ready with a tube and pump strapped to the frame (yeah probably should go CO2 but I’d want the pump anyway, and no real benefit for endurance stuff, you’re still in the running after 5 mins pumping)

CO2 strapped to the top tube with an inner tube, but also a mini pump in my bag. I also carry tyre plugs and tools. A bit belt and braces OTT perhaps. CO2 for speed and convenience and pump for reliability when the CO2 is used or fails for whatever reason.

Having said that, I’ve never had a puncture since going tubeless 18 months ago and I ride a fair bit.

I mostly ride on my own and often right out in the wilds, so like to be self reliant and confident I can deal with most eventualities. I also carry more tools, maps, food, first aid kit and emergency layers than most people I know, the boy scout force is strong in this one!

Premier Icon mountainman
    Subscriber

one up pump on bottle cage, spare tube at least 1 as been caught out n had to call the rescue and she wasn’t best pleased ,but thinks nothing of driving home n “saying my car needs Petrol” after passing a bloody garage.

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

Mini-pump in my jersey pocket, unless I’m on my commuter bike which has a frame pump. Generally have a Co2 cart with me as well.

Premier Icon drewd
    Subscriber

Road/gravel bike has a mini pump on the frame, spare tube, adhesive patches and tubeless repair when running tubeless in saddle bag.

MTB has the same again but in a rucksack. I’m running 650b plus so have a bigger pump, and my dropper cable routing prevents me running a saddle bag to store the other stuff so it all gets chucked in a bag.

Premier Icon swavis
    Subscriber

Pump on the frame or in the pack on the mtb, CO2 and pump on the road bike as it makes the handle for the pump.

stevextc

Rarely take a pump … totally consequences based. If getting a puncture is going to be fatal or potentially very uncomfortable I’ll take what I might need… if it just means walking 10 miles in weather me and the kid can survive probably not. Probably shouldn’t tempt fate but I’ve has exactly 1 non ridable punctures in 5 years vs 2 snapped chains

Premier Icon benp1
    Subscriber

CO2 on my commute, but use marathon plus tyres

Pump on my rides, has been in a framebag, rucksack or waistpack in the past. But at the moment its mounted next to a bottle cage

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

Mini pump, in rucksack on MTB, under seat pack on road bike.

if it just means walking 10 miles in weather me and the kid can survive probably not

Well, yeah, but for the sake of £20 and 200g in your back pocket or downtube? Surely better than 10 mile walk in the rain?

I always carry a pump, patches, spare tube, it packs down compact enough and sits in a jersey pocket easily enough, although I’ll frame mount on longer rides when I need the extra pockets for food!

Have friends who just don’t seem to bother, or don’t know how to use the tools they’re carrying. I guess the proof is in the pudding, they’ve never ended up stranded roadside, but I’m secretly waiting for the day one of them snaps a chain. If I’m with them I might even pretend I’m not carrying a chain tool and quick links… 😉

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

I never use CO2. It’s one extra thing to carry on top of a pump so why not just use the pump?!
    Other than saving a few seconds which frankly, in the overall timespan of fixing a puncture, is negligible.

I’ve done numerous ride leading/guiding things and every single time there’ll be someone standing by the side of the road asking for help because they’ve used all their CO2 and haven’t got a pump.

Premier Icon andytherocketeer
    Subscriber

Always carry mini-pump and tube for that bike/wheelsize.

On the frame under bottle mount for XC and CX and road bikes. All my pump attachment mount things have a velcro strap as well as clipping in.

In camelbak on the full sus. There is a bottle cage mount, but I think it’d prolly annoy me.

Never used CO2, no real urge to do so either. And sod any velominati rules that say I have to have a bling micro pump in jersey pocket, rather than pump and saddlebag attached to the bike.

fasthaggis

Same as the monk,pump,repair kit,mini tool and quick link.It all goes between my commute/mtb bags and jersey pockets depending on the ride.You don’t have to go that far to make a walk home a real PITAfeet. 🙂

k1100t

I only carry a pump these days. I used to just carry CO2, but I managed to break the nozzle on an inflator once, which meant I had to flag down other cyclists to ask if I could borrow a pump. Since I’ve (mostly) moved to tubeless, CO2 isn’t an option with some of the sealants either.

Premier Icon sandwicheater
    Subscriber

I’m not telling.

stevextc

13th …

Well, yeah, but for the sake of £20 and 200g in your back pocket or downtube? Surely better than 10 mile walk in the rain?

I own 2 packable pumps… one is a fancy dual tyre/shock one.
    But on that day… yep it’s better than a 10 mile walk in the rain… but I could be doing the same not carrying a chain or lots of other stuff. I use the multitool quite often… (more it seems for others than myself) but I never *truly needed* the pump since going tubeless and accepting heavier tyres…and the 10 miles (if that’s the furthest away) is worse case scenario… and the nature of trails at least for me means a 20m round ride even at the 10m mark might be significantly less distance back to the car?

So .. when I do go somewhere I tend to think do I need a pump/tube/length of spare chain/spare mech hangar and spare shifter cable… (if so I’ll take the bag that’s got it all in) or on the offchance can I put up with a walk back

stevextc

I never use CO2. It’s one extra thing to carry on top of a pump so why not just use the pump?!
    Other than saving a few seconds which frankly, in the overall timespan of fixing a puncture, is negligible.

Quite a difference on tubeless… assuming your CO2 is handy and you can undo the valve fixing a puncture mostly means just inflating any air you lost before it sealed/seals….

Since I’ve (mostly) moved to tubeless, CO2 isn’t an option with some of the sealants either.

You can let the CO2 out when you get back… I’m not aware of any sealants are going to be totally screwed by using CO2 just to finish a ride.

concrete24

Yep – I always carry a pump (and tube + repair patches)- just a small, lightweight Lezyne one strapped to the frame. I sometimes go months without a puncture – but have had one on each of my last three rides due to thorns, flints and broken glass respectively, 5 minutes to swap a tube over much more preferable to walking 20 miles back.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

If I’ve got a backpack, there’s a pump in it. A proper one, not one of your tiny vinegar strokes toys. I’ve loaned it way more than I’ve used it myself though.

If I’ve taken the wee bag then CO2.

butcher

Would never dream of not carrying a pump. The number of times I’ve had to inflate a tyre several times because there’s a minute piece of untraceable glass in there, a patch has failed, I’ve nipped a tube, spare tube is knackered, etc, etc…

Have stopped to help people in the exact same position, who have fixed a puncture twice, only to watch it go down again, and no more Co2 cartridges.

You can buy a pump that weighs barely nothing, attaches to your bike and you never have to worry about it. It’s one of the items I never leave at home, along with tyre levers and multi-tool.

trail_rat

depends what i’m doing.

racing – co2 and a tube.

bimbling on my mtb =mini pump and tube.

Good road bike – tube and 2 Co2 cannisters (its tubeless anyway)

touring – larger pump , tube , patches , tire boot.

C02 cans might be wasteful(although in resources rather than the canister – the cannisters fully recyclable) , but given i’ve used about 5 in 20 years, ill sleep easy on that. guess its depends how prone to punctures you are

nicko74

Do you carry a pump?

Uh, yeah. Because otherwise a flat tyre = end of ride, plus potentially a long walk back.
    On the road bike it’s clipped to the frame; on the MTB it’s in the camelbak.

daern

No, don’t carry a pump. In fact, I don’t think I even own a pump (well, not one I could carry with me at least!). I’ve used CO2 for years now and it’s a convenient, lightweight and quick way to get going without leaving all of your fellow riders stood around in the cold. Don’t generally bother with the more expensive, 25g carts, but just carry a few more 19g ones if on the MTB.

I know everyone will have a favourite inflator, but for me it’s the Lezyne Control Drive. I’ve seen other people have problems with inferior inflators over the years, but this one has never missed a beat, is easy to use even with cold, stiff fingers and nice and controllable. I’m yet to muck up a cartridge with it.

tjagain

depends on what I am doing.

Commuting no – puncture proof tyres and I have never had a puncture and on my current commute I would just walk. The longer commute I used to have I would get a taxi.

Pootling about locally on the fat bike – nope – just walk home – its tubeless. If going further pump and a can of foam sealant.

Longer rides – yes – can of sealant and pump. Fatty a tube is 500g and bulky and I doubt I could break the beads away from home – certainly not easily so if sealant will not seal its again taxi home

touring / longer rides on the tandem – pump, sealant and a tube and a repair kit.

Premier Icon Jon Taylor
    Subscriber

For the space of a inflator and disposable CO2 cartridges, I have a fancy new reusable and adjustable pump! You just push it! 🙂

I have a bag. Inside it is a pump (mountian morph), anchovies, plus a spare tube. If I’m racing I’ll still have all of that, maybe not the tube. I’ll not lend you a pump though. It’s a race and you decided to not be self-sufficient to save the grammes and make you moar faster.

More and more commonly used though is a valve core remover and spare valves, I’ve met a few people struggling to reinflate tyres and it’s because their valves are gunked up with sealant.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.