• This topic has 46 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by tdog.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Do you care what happens to kit you sell?
  • MrPottatoHead

Sold some stuff on eBay recently for a pretty low price, but amounts I was happy with. Looking at buyer histories there’s a fair chance it has all been re-listed to try and make a profit. In the main I think that’s totally fair play if someone is prepared to put in more effort than me to get a good price, and its no longer mine so why should I care.

However, there is a small part of me that wants kit to go to a like minded person people who might really put it to good use and benefit from it most.

Just wondered do other people make conscious choices about who they sell to?

Northwind

Sometimes I’ll do a discount or a freebie when I feel like it, and I’ve seen at least one of those freebies then get punted on ebay and once on classifieds here, which was Not Cool. But mostly, no.

scaredypants

Once or twice I’ve given away stuff to people I work with who then shoved it on ebay – that made me a bit cross but not if I’d sold it to a stranger

singlespeedstu

Yep. I’d rather sell to someone that is really into the thing they are buying and will use it than someone that wants to turn a quick profit.
    I’ve even sold stuff cheaper to people because they really know what the item is and I can see they’ll get pleasure out of using it.
    What’s your best price merchants can do one.

endomick
    Free Member

Theres an arsehole on ebay who makes insulting offers everytime I put Hope products up, so I looked at his items for sale, total rip off merchant, I’ve paid less for new than he sells some used stuff for. I ended up blocking him.
    Put some mint condition Hope stuff up and you’ll probably get a pisstake offer from him.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Not given thought to people reselling my old stuff but I do hope that the stuff that I cared for and enjoyed will be just as well cared for and enjoyed as much.

I’d hate for that stuff to be abused and neglected.

Kuco

The only time I’ve got annoyed was when I sold an item on here to someone who I thought I was helping out for them to advertised it a week later for more than I sold the item for.

Rest of the time I have never been bothered as long as I’ve got what I’ve asked for. I’ve sent stuff for free if it can help someone out and often use to sell stuff for less than it was worth which never bothered me if it means someone can use it and get them biking again.

squirrelking
    Free Member

@endomick is it that tossbag that seems to own all of the second hand brake and hub spares? I genuinely hope he and his ilk all make a massive loss when the market falls out from under them.

scotroutes

Yeah, I care. I never want to sell someone something that then breaks prematurely.

MSP

I sold some bikepacking bags on here, and the buyer then went and used them to race the tour divide, bastard that should have been me!!!

Actually I was surprisingly happy to see them getting such good use.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I had a nice CX frame advertised on Fb marketplace and Ebay a couple of months ago- an Ebayer bought it. Not long after it sold, I got a message from a Fb potential buyer, but obviously had to let them down.

A month or so back, said Fb person messaged me- my frame was now up for sale for £100 more on Fb marketplace, advertised by the Ebay buyer. He was set on buying it though, and did.

He sent me a message on Wednesday night of it rebuilt and rolling along- I’m pleased for him. It shows I could have got more but there you go.

robo89
    Free Member

The most annoying thing is when you give someone an absolute bargain and they don’t even leave feedback.
    I sell stuff cheap just to get rid of it quicker and I sleep better knowing I haven’t
    charged too much, so when you get to know your buyer is very happy it makes me happy too, some people have even sent me pics of the item on their bike afterwards.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I get your point but surely there is some ironing* going on here as you clearly didn’t GAF when you sold it?

* Oh who cares.

dc1988

I never buy an item thinking that it has any inherent value so tend to sell cheaply on the rare occasion I do. I know I could get a better price with more effort but it’s not worth it for me.

It’s nicer if the part goes to a like minded person, that’s why I only sell on here or pinkbike and never eBay.

nuke

Did annoy me one time when I sold some Fox forks on here and they were listed on eBay before they’d even arrived! Took him 3 attempts on eBay to get them sold…not a huge profit and certainly didnt seem worth the hassle

fatbikeandcoffee
    Free Member

If I am selling kit I am done with it or it’s surplus so I just sell it and hope it gives use, pleasure, joy or should they then sell it profit to them.

From my side I want it sold and gone after that Karma will find its way to a good place.

James

Mat

I’ve ebayed a load of stuff lately and was musing on how the buyers were getting on with it the other night. I concluded it’s better not knowing; it’d be nice to know they’re using them to do fun stuff but at the same time I’d rather not know if it’s all fallen to bits, I’d feel guilty but I’m not going to give them a refund. That sounds kind of callous but I agonise quite a bit about checking everything before I sell it and making sure I’ve accurately described the listing.

AD

Providing I get what I thought was a fair price, then no.

We sold a 7 yr old inflatable canoe on FB market place for £200. Listed it at 7pm on Saturday night, a guy messaged inside 4 minutes saying he’d have it and picked it up at 9pm.

It was re-listed on FB on Wednesday for £250… 🙂

Best of luck to him to be honest.

tdog
    Free Member

Even on stw classifieds- they’re are private traders still lurking!

i f hate the **** as they deserve to be shamed!

I am

very conscious to avoid these types.

f am I supporting their greed and bs attitudes

Poopscoop

If I’ve given stuff away and it gets listed I do feel a bit miffed.

If I’ve sold it and it gets sold on, I’m ok with that to be honest.

Well, there might be 1% of me that isn’t but still.😁

tdog
    Free Member

Oh & big shout out to funkmasterp for sending me the tubeless kit that very much came in handy for both my brother’s and my own wheels.

👍😎

mudeverywhere
    Free Member

I sold an item on ebay a little while ago and this happened. Thought about what it’s worth considering the condition, then added a bit. Not much but just to see what happened before reducing if needed. Sold in a couple of hours. Okay that’s great I got more than I was expecting. A week later I found the item back on ebay for over double the price, more than it costs new from some places. A month later it’s still for sale and some of his other items look like they might be getting flipped similarly. Doesn’t bother me, so long as I got a price I’m happy with, but the price he’s asking is well beyond optimistic.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s a market. Feeling wounded because you were kind to someone who then used the market is a bit naive imo, unless part of the deal was not to do so.

wants kit to go to a like minded person people who might really put it to good use and benefit from it most

Who’s to say it won’t, ultimately? Maybe the hated trader has no other way to feeds 4 adopted kids etc…

Yak

I always hope the buyer gets some joy out of it, but there’s plenty of traders about so that’s unlikely to be the case all of time.

I did spot a frame I sold back up for sale….. but it was after 3 or so years. It was my wife’s race frame that she built up when my daughter was born, so she got all excited and wanted to buy it back. But 26ers don’t cut it now…so we left it. Quite nice to see it had been ridden for a while though.

Northwind

singlespeedstu
    Subscriber

Yep. I’d rather sell to someone that is really into the thing they are buying and will use it than someone that wants to turn a quick profit.

I’m going to sell that bike for millions, any day now

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I had a set of those orange Marzocchi aniversary Bombers (Z150 RC2 but with orange lowers and a bolt up crown).

Bought them on here for what was a bit of a bargain price (£150 ish), and used them intermittently for holidays and trips away for a few years.

Eventually sold them to a forumite for the price I paid for them, who then had them up for sale for a proffit.

In his defence he was a serial part swaper so it might not have been his initiall intention, and the new price was still fair. But it still kinda pissed me off.

cookeaa

TBH I can’t imagine the parts flippers make much real profit relative to the effort. I don’t think I really care if they want to go and flip something I’ve sold it’s their property now so good luck to them…

tomhoward

My old housemate was a bit of a wheeler dealer in his spare time and used every trick in the book to try and stop his mates selling their stuff on eBay ‘oh I need one of those’ or ‘ebays a scam, I’ll buy it off you instead, save you the fees/hassle’.

Which he would then sell on eBay, doubling his money often.

That’s a bit shitty, (especially if they were going to put it on eBay themselves anyway, but for him ‘needing’ whatever it was) but if it’s been sold in good faith then it’s up to it’s new owner what they do with it.

dyna-ti

I’ve got it worse having bought a retiring hope engineers personal stash. eg is a ti single speed disc and c2 No10 caliper for 140mm 4 bolt rotor. Built for god knows what reason, probably as personal projects rather than development of marketable designs
    I worry if I sold that someone would build and use it, and thats one of a few items. I feel like I’ve a duty of care to them

Crazy I know.

kayla1
    Free Member

No really, no. As long as I’m comfy with what I sold it for and the buyer is happy that I haven’t ripped them off they can do what they want with it. Good luck to them if they can be arsed to try and flip it for a few quid, I certainly couldn’t which is probably why we have so much crap awesome stuff kicking about!

squirrelking
    Free Member

It’s a market. Feeling wounded because you were kind to someone who then used the market is a bit naive imo

If you’ve sold it cheap, fair enough, but taking advantage of someones kindness (free to a good home) is a bit off tbh. You can’t do anything about it but it just ruins it for everyone else when folk get sick of it and put higher prices to but off the flippers.

The Hope merchant mentioned above is a prime example, everyone sees his overpriced nonsense and now expects an Enduro 4 (marked as an M4) to sell for 100 quid when it’s really worth half of that at the very best.

DezB
    Free Member

Sold my Cove Handjob a while ago, cheap price and advertised it with half the money going to charity (Bullheart), as I was ok for cash at the time. It was a really nice bike, just not used enough and I would’ve liked it to go to a good home.
    Nice of the fella to buy it, of course, but he split it and tried to sell for parts. Frame was on Ebay for ages.

ogden
    Free Member

All a bit precious? You’ve sold it or given it away, it’s then that persons to do with as they please.

I sold some wheels and gave the fella some tyres as I was moving away from 27.5 to 29, if he puts them on eBay that’s up to him. I couldn’t be arsed to sell them and maybe he could.

If I got a bargain on something and though maybe I could make a profit on selling it I would, and why shouldn’t I. Tbh it’s nobody but the initial sells fault for selling something too cheap.

*I’m too lazy to buy and sell bike parts for a profit.

singlespeedstu

I’m going to sell that bike for millions, any day now

Is there much of the original bike left?
    I do love the fact you still have it and still use it though.

In fact i know where quite a few of my old bikes are and they’re still loved by their new owners.

Northwind

Literally just the frame I think but that’s where the soul of the bike lives, right?

stevious

I don’t usually care, and am not on the classifieds or ebay enough to find out if it’s been flipped.

I did get a message from the guy who bought my stumpjumper to say he’d bought if for his son and he loved it. That was nice.

cynic-al
    Free Member

i know where quite a few of my old bikes are and they’re still loved by their new owners.

That’s a lovely feeling for sure, but just because you don’t know this doesn’t mean it’s not loved/used by whoever owns it. Who’s ownership is better than ones own? Who are we to judge?

The Hope merchant mentioned above is a prime example, everyone sees his overpriced nonsense and now expects an Enduro 4 (marked as an M4) to sell for 100 quid when it’s really worth half of that at the very best.

You have not caused this. It’s a market, for grown ups.

squirrelking
    Free Member

You have not caused this. It’s a market, for grown ups.

I never suggested it wasn’t, I just take issue with folk out to rip folk off. Buying a set of brakes at a low ball price then literally stripping down to hoses and fittings or hubs minus adaptors at near new prices is just taking the piss.

didnthurt

I sold a Kona road bike a few years back and although it was a relatively cheap bike I really enjoyed owning it. The guy who bought it when putting it into his car went to rest the frame on the pavement (after he’d removed the wheels). I suddenly felt all protective over it and rushed over to hold it for him.
    He bought it to ride Pedal for Scotland ride, hope he enjoyed it.

didnthurt

I’d be a bit pissed off if I gave something away and then found out they’d sold it without asking me if I was alright with that.

I’ve recently sold a couple of bikes. The first one was bought by a guy who wanted a bike to ride with his son but couldn’t find a cheap bike for sale anywhere due to lockdown. I gave the guy a tenner back – although he didn’t ask for a discount – as someone did this to me one time and I thought it was a nice gesture.
    The second was bought by a guy who had a job delivering pizzas and had recently had his bike stolen whilst at work. I advertised it with the standard flat pedals that it came with (like brand new as I’d never used them) but when he turned up with with spd shoes on (he was going to ride it home). I gave him (and fitted them for him) my used and but much loved XT spd pedals for gratis.

It’s nice to be nice.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Do you care what happens to kit you sell?’ is closed to new replies.