Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Do we need another tyre thread…? Hell yes. Any suggestions welcome.
  • excitable1
    Free Member

I’ve been running a 2.25 Ardent up front and a 2.1 Advantage (both UST)out back for years. Loved the combination, been great all year round and nobody could get me off them. The Advantage is really grippy and the Ardent adds stability up front and all fast rolling.

…but lately the rear has been suffering from some proper wheel damage and punctures on the tyre bead on the rear and I’ve come to the conclusion I need something with more volume on the back.

The Ardent is more like a 2.3 and I was thinking of going for a narrow 2.25 on the back. I’m prepared to swap tyre manufacturer if someone says they’ve found the oracle.

Combination needs to suit everywhere, Lakes, Peaks, North Wales, and everything from very techy steep descents to fast boulder fests (which is where I’ve been suffering).

Any suggestions appreciated.

excitable1
    Free Member

Also, anyone managed to fix a thin split in a UST tyre just above the bead ? You can’t get a UST patch on it and the last one was on a 3 day old tyre !

creamegg
    Free Member

not an ust tyre but managed to fix a largeish hole just above the bead using those sticky worms

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chiefgrooveguru

Why not a 2.25 ADvantage UST?

warpcow
    Free Member

Sticky worms seemed good to me, but anytime the speed and/or number of rocks increased they’d ‘unstick’ and come shooting out of the tyre followed by a fountain of white, sticky stuff. Old-fashioned tube patch glued over the hole on the inside has proven much better (clean area of tyre with IPA first and then apply patch as normal). Not sure about being so close to the bead though.

On the tyre front, older Maxxis 2.35″ are smaller than newer 2.25″. I personally like Larsen TTs. They’re much better than the tread pattern would have you believe.

creamegg
    Free Member

Sounds like your worms were too short? All my repairs have been faultless- used the Weldtite tubeless repair kit

excitable1
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru – They only do the ADvantage UST in a 2.1, otherwise that would be prefect.

warpcow – UST Larsen TT’s only go up to 2.0 and looks like it might have less volume than the ADvantage without the side nobles. I’ll take a look though. Is it grippy on wet climbs ?

Can you not just fill the slit with the rubberizing glue you get with the UST repair patches ?

chiefgrooveguru

How about another Ardent 2.25 UST on the back then? I really like how tough larger volume UST tyres are! They may be heavier than non-UST but they don’t seem to roll any slower, not like dual-plies.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

White Onza Porcupines. Thread closed.

mangatank
    Free Member

I accidentally bought and then just decided to fit a pair of Maxxis 2.1 High Rollers (LUST versions). Skinny with ramped central knobs for speed not grip. Disaster!

Or so I thought….so far they’ve been a revelation. Great at climbing, grippy, comfortable and faaast. A big improvement on the excellent Conti Mountain Kings they replaced.

Go figure.

Northwind

I got on really well with a non-UST EXO Advantage run tubeless… YMMV of course 😉

m_t_b
    Free Member

Crossmark UST perhaps, don’t go Nobby Nic amazing tyres but they wear out in 15 mins. Maxxis UST tyres are hard to beat for longevity I have been trying others for years but always seem to come back to them.

Clobber
    Free Member

I agree that the Ardent is probably a better rear tyre, so try that in 2.25 UST

OR just run the EXO Advantage as Northwind says. I’ve never had any problems running tubeless with Maxxis EXO, they inflate and seal very well.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

does anyone ride non-maxxis tyres on this forum?

edit: by which I mean on their bike, not, like, while clicky the mouse and typing responses and whatnot.

micky
    Free Member

Worms on the bead are fine. Don’t be stingy and use a full one. Another vote for the Weldtite worm kit that uses 4mm worms and tyre cement over the worm before you insert it. I have one on a bead on one set of my UST wheels at the moment.

kayak23

Ardent 2.4 front, 2.2 rear here…
    Both exo…
    Rad.

creamegg
    Free Member

Used to have maxxis (cant remember which). Replaced them with Rubber Queen Black Chilli front and back.

Have Mountain Kings II on my other bike. Not as good as the RQ’s so these will be changed when the time comes.

Northwind

mrmonkfinger – Member

I’m mostly Kenda and Specialized (but Specialized are made by CST, same as Maxxis and On One and maybe others). TBH I’ve never found a Maxxis I’m totally happy with, I end up using them as a sort of benchmark but spesh have a better minion, conti a better swampthing…

warpcow
    Free Member

Sounds like your worms were too short? All my repairs have been faultless- used the Weldtite tubeless repair kit

I’ll admit I was stingy first time, but then a full length weldtite worm slathered in glue did the same. Felt solid enough, but poped out within a couple of km. I suspect it’s because it was near the side knobs and the hole was pulled apart slightly during cornering and off-camber stuff.

excitable1
    Free Member

Both exo…
    Rad.

They only do the 2.25 in a UST Lust. Do Exo Advantage and Exo Ardents work ok on a UST rim then ?

What about the UST Ardent up front and the Crossmark UST 2.25 out back. Is the Crossmark any good/grippy enough a wet climbs ?

excitable1
    Free Member

Experiment report on bead repair…..

Cleaned off tyre and old sealant. Cut a round tubeless repair patch in half. Applied Vulcanisation glue to both sides of bead. Applied patch with new straight edge along bead. Pumped tyre. Added Stans.

Did it seal…. did it f**kaslike !

…. but we are persisting with the side to side shaking of and rotating of the tyre to get the Stans in the pin prick of a leak and we maybe getting somewhere. Update to follow…

excitable1
    Free Member

….sealed !

How it was still leaking after being filled with glue, patched over and smothered with Stans I’ve no idea but eventually it looks like the stans has sealed it up. We’ll see how it goes on the trail.

Tyres – Keeping the 2.25 Ardent up front and I’ll either go with the Crossmark or another 2.25 Ardent at the back. Anyone else with owt to say about those 2 combo’s ?

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Both exo…
    Rad.

+1

rickon
    Free Member

No one’s mentioned them yet, and I can’t believe it….

On-One Smorgasboard and ChunkyMonkey. £15 a tyre, EXO sidewalls, proper sticky and awesome.

All the guides in the Alps last week were running them, the head chap said they’re the best tyres he’s used in 10 years.

I’ll be replacing mine with them next time around.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Do we need another tyre thread…? Hell yes. Any suggestions welcome.’ is closed to new replies.